Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in a Box

Kelly in hunt for premier player

Dont get me wrong mate, I actually want experienced Premiership players who still have a lot to offer this level to come down here (Todorov, Murphy, Stefanovic etc etc) but what I am saying is that our kids this season have excelled at that level but we dont know how good they are because we havent loaned them out and we havent a reserve team to judge them against better/older players. All I am suggesting is maybe sling some kids in once we are safe from the drop. It wouldnt be the first time that a player has come from nowhere to "why wasnt he playing months ago" chats!

If you look at Blackburn, this season Matt Derbyshire was arguably 5th or 6th choice striker but due to injuries and suspensions, they threw him in and he has coped really well. Newcastle have had to play youngsters due to the injuries they have suffered and defender Paul Huntingdon has emerged from the few kids they have been forced to play with a lot of respect. He may be challenging for a place in the first team next season coming from nowhere. There are a few at our level who have come from nowhere also.

BTW I wouldnt have risked the kids at the start of the season or when points were needed as were stare relegation in the face, but I`d sling a few in for 6-10 games once we are safe from relegation to see what they can do. We may have a good un amongst them and if we have any COGs in there who cant step up, lets get rid!

I definitely agree, well said.

We've tried the youngster route under Levein and Kelly and we've results wise there has been no significant improvement from the has been era under Adams. I like to watch a home grown youngster come through the ranks, it's one of the best parts for a fan. I really bought in to what Levein tried to do here with building a team that could play together for several years, but it's took us no nearer to challenging for promotion in this league. Mandaric has experienced success before, he knows what it takes. I would hope if we have a decent set of youngsters coming through that they'll get a chance alongside some quality experienced players.

That's cos we only half backed our own idea.

Sadly for Levein he signed two wingers from Scotland who were hopeless, had no attacking left-back (pointed out constantly) and he couldn't find a consistently effective strike pairing.

He didn't give himself the tools for the job, or didn't use them, a fact made worse by Williams' disappointment as a creative midfielder.

I still think young and hungry is the right way forward but we need a manager with real belief in it - and in an attacking philosophy - not someone who forever hedges his bets as emphasised so starkly when we went 1-0 up against Luton to signal the end of our ambition that day.

I certainly have no long-term faith in the likes of Horsfield, Jarrett and Johnson. Nor in Nils at left-back despite his considerable defensive capabilities and his consistently focused attitude which does him credit.

You might get away with one of those but you won't consistently attack teams with four like that. There's not enough threat, not enough pace and not enough invention.

Sadly for Levein he signed two wingers from Scotland who were hopeless, had no attacking left-back (pointed out constantly) and he couldn't find a consistently effective strike pairing.

He didn't give himself the tools for the job, or didn't use them, a fact made worse by Williams' disappointment as a creative midfielder.

I still think young and hungry is the right way forward but we need a manager with real belief in it - and in an attacking philosophy - not someone who forever hedges his bets as emphasised so starkly when we went 1-0 up against Luton to signal the end of our ambition that day.

I certainly have no long-term faith in the likes of Horsfield, Jarrett and Johnson. Nor in Nils at left-back despite his considerable defensive capabilities and his consistently focused attitude which does him credit.

You might get away with one of those but you won't consistently attack teams with four like that. There's not enough threat, not enough pace and not enough invention.

Again, I agree with all of that. What I was saying is that, Mandaric has experience in being successful, so he knows what it takes. Young and hungry or experienced, it doesn't matter if success isn't achieved in the route that is taken. As you say, full belief needs to be in place for anything to work.

I'd rather us go for the young and hungry approach, I like to see players develop and get better. It's good to have a player at a club for a number of years to build up a rapport with them, I hope this is the route that is taken. But whatever happens, the most important thing is for us to be successful and improve.

I doubt that would appeal to Kelly with or without the Mandaric Millions, last season, after we were safe he continued with the same players and refused to blood any youngsters on the premise that we wanted to finish the season on a high.

Exactly the opposite happened the 'first teamers' lost all interest as we slumped to a miserable end to the season. The young players would have had a greater incentive to perform, but RK seems to be somewhat blinkered in his outlook and is certainly not forward thinking,

I also have grave doubts on his reputation of bringing on young players as he only does it when he has no other options, it not a planned development approach.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Were truer words ever spoken?

"Young and Hungry" isnt neccasarily a term that is as relative today as it used to be. So many young players have got the expensive car and nice pad without having done much within the game that has made them complacent. I wouldnt say that because someone is young they are hungry, infact some of the more experienced pro`s who have kids are are coming towards the end of there career may be playing for contracts!

For me, Its all about ability. If a player has been impressing at a lower level we will never know whether they can take the step up. At the moment I am talking about trying a couple of the kids but the same could be said of someone like Josh low who went from being a member in the D2 team of the year last season to a donkey at this level! Can a couple of our kids make the step up?? We may never know unless RK has a plan to get some in soon.

Link

Don't know if this has been posted before but apparently the potential target's loan move has been delayed until next week because he's playing tomorrow.

All we know is that the club is in the Premiership, the player is probably a left midfielder and the club has many players out injured (as this player will either play tomorrow or be on the bench)

Who could it be?

It could be Adam Johnson though who is a decent left mid behind Downing in the pecking order

I've heard good things about Johnson (not Andy of course :rolleyes: )... still isnt he a bit young and wasnt RK after an experianced winger? :dunno:

On a serious note...

I know we all think it will be a left winger, but Neil Lennon coming back until the end of the season really would not surprise me. Weso needs some fostering too. Perfect.

If it is a left winger it will be Berger... or Lee Philpott :ph34r:

On a serious note...

I know we all think it will be a left winger, but Neil Lennon coming back until the end of the season really would not surprise me. Weso needs some fostering too. Perfect.

If it is a left winger it will be Berger... or Lee Philpott :ph34r:

Rob Kelly keeps saying its a club in the Premiership so it can't be Lennon.

Left midfield has to be the main priority, we can't keep playing Levi until the season ends and what happens if he gets injured?

I've heard good things about Johnson (not Andy of course )... still isnt he a bit young and wasnt RK after an experianced winger?

Johnson is capped at U19 level for England so we know he has talent and has also played in the UEFA cup for Boro.

He sounds a decent prospect Adam johnson profile

Edit: Actually forget him he's not even in the squad for Boro tomorrow and downing is not injured.

lol It could well be berger

Rob Kelly keeps saying its a club in the Premiership so it can't be Lennon.

Left midfield has to be the main priority, we can't keep playing Levi until the season ends and what happens if he gets injured?

I thought he said premiership 'class'?

Well that means that it isnt a aston villa, chelsea, arsenal, man city, blackburn, pompey, tottenham or bolton player.

Clubs it could be are

Fulham

Manchester United

Charlton Athletic

West Ham United

Liverpool

Sheffield United

Middlesbrough

Reading

Watford

Everton

Wigan Athletic

Newcastle United

I reckon its a player who would miss out big time not to be in the team - Arsenal League Cup Final - Freddie Ljungberg ?

lol

Quinton Fortune or Kevin Kilbane are favourites from the players mentioned so far. Fortune can play at leftback too and Kilbane IMO will be a good player at Championship level.

I remember hearing an interview that said Ljungberg was wanted by Arsenal but the implication was that he was free at the end of the year and could move on. A smashing player.

As we are fast approaching April Fools day I`d suggest you save this one until then!

Well that means that it isnt a aston villa, chelsea, arsenal, man city, blackburn, pompey, tottenham or bolton player.

Clubs it could be are

Fulham

Manchester United

Charlton Athletic

West Ham United

Liverpool

Sheffield United

Middlesbrough

Reading

Watford

Everton

Wigan Athletic

Newcastle United

It says on the OS that the player may well play on saturday, so that rules Chelsea and Arsenal out of the running. And any other team that plays on sunday not saturday

Archived