Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

Manager Of The Month

It was funny to hear Kelly talk about the "progress we've made".

Keane's team was bottom of the table when he took over and is now looking a good bet to be Champions just months later.

That is my idea of progress.

I have seen very little genuine progress in any direction at Leicester for a long, long time.

Roy Keane played under two of the greatest managers of all-time, he's bound to be better than Kelly imo. Keane is just one of those people you just knew was going to be a good manager, and he has certainly turned out to be just that. The way they play is so organised yet so creative, it reminds me of Manchester United. He has installed the Man United way of thinking and playing into that club and if you have that, then you are going to be succesful.

Keane's team was bottom of the table when he took over and is now looking a good bet to be Champions just months later.

I have seen very little genuine progress in any direction at Leicester for a long, long time.

Keane has dramatically changed things around at Sunderland. Niall Quinn looked to have made a mess of it but Keane has done really well. If they do get promoted it will be great to see him face up to Fergie :P .

As for Kelly, progress does not really reflect our season. Leaving it until February to reassure the fans that we should be in this division next year is not progress.

Interesting article the other day, can't remember where I read it, about Ince being of a similar stature to Keane as a player yet only managing to get a job at Macclesfield while Keane walks into a job at Sunderland and whether this reflected institutional racism.

Any opinions?

For me, Keane was a higher-profile, and better, player than Ince and was playing more recently - all of which are factors. But I think there's an element of truth to it.

Interesting article the other day, can't remember where I read it, about Ince being of a similar stature to Keane as a player yet only managing to get a job at Macclesfield while Keane walks into a job at Sunderland and whether this reflected institutional racism.

Any opinions?

For me, Keane was a higher-profile, and better, player than Ince and was playing more recently - all of which are factors. But I think there's an element of truth to it.

personally i think its all about luck of timing. also there is the Irish link at Sunderland.

Any opinions?

I read that too, i thought it was stupid to be honest. Niall Quinn knows Keane throught Ireland so he knows how he thinks. Ince has no real links with anybody and people will not want to take a risk on him in the higher leagues.

I read that too, i thought it was stupid to be honest. Niall Quinn knows Keane throught Ireland so he knows how he thinks. Ince has no real links with anybody and people will not want to take a risk on him in the higher leagues.

I'd go with that. Keane and Quinn have known each other for years now. And I agree that it has something to do with Keane been a better player and he is someone that you would think its capable of managing a high profile club, such as Sunderland.

You can't compare keane with kelly until you give kelly the shed loads of money that keane has had to spend.

Said in the paper today he has 25m at the end of season and he will go after Bellamy :mellow:

Not even Kelly would try that. :P

Keane has had the full backing of his chairman from day one.

I don't know the exact details but Keane has bought in numerous quality players - spending millions in the process. I recall that on transfer deadline day alone (in August) they bought 4 or 5 decent players costing a hell of a lot of money.

I don't mean to undermine Keane's management credentials but it's hardly fair to compare Keane and Kelly when one's being bank-rolled while the other is scrounging for freebies.

You can't compare keane with kelly until you give kelly the shed loads of money that keane has had to spend.

Precisely.

Keane has got a cold ruthlessness which will serve him well as a manager, because it is not a brainless ruthlessness but a thoughtful and calculating one. Ince was always destined to take longer to have an impact.

Precisely.

Nonsense. So much of what Kelly has done at Leicester is not about money but about his personality. It comes across in everything he does, his team selections, his tactics, the things he speaks to the media, everything.

Rob Kelly has many worthwhile qualities but he'll be a plodder as a manager not a trailblazer. Keane is a man apart in many ways and his achievements reflect that.

Stephen Ward, 3 goals. Purchased for a dirt cheap price from an Irish team, bit like Kevin Doyle's transfer to Reading a few years back.

Sorry to sound like this but - 3 goals? Is that it? Is that really enough to secure the award?

Carlos Edwards has scored the wonder goal against Birmingham - and thats about it

Scott Sinclair - what has he done? The goal against Barnet was last month :P

And Henderson.. I hate to be biased but he had a better chance than the rest..

Nonsense. So much of what Kelly has done at Leicester is not about money but about his personality. It comes across in everything he does, his team selections, his tactics, the things he speaks to the media, everything.

Rob Kelly has many worthwhile qualities but he'll be a plodder as a manager not a trailblazer. Keane is a man apart in many ways and his achievements reflect that.

Kelly's only been able to impose his personality on the team, though, nothing else. You aren't really responding to the point here. Keane has had an effect in a motivational sense, of course, but he's also had hefty financial backing. Kelly's hands are tied, Keane's aren't.

Not that Keane isn't probably the better manager, but it's still hard to compare the two.

Oh and I'd take Ince as manager like a shot.

August 23 Tobias Hysén DjurgÃ¥rdens IF £1.7m

August 31 Dwight Yorke Sydney FC £200,000

August 31 Graham Kavanagh Wigan £500,000

August 31 Stanislav Varga Celtic FC £800,000 (combined fee with Ross Wallace; rising to £1.1m)

August 31 Ross Wallace Celtic FC See Above

August 31 Liam Miller Manchester United Free

August 31 David Connolly Wigan £1.4m

October 19 Lewin Nyatanga Derby Loa

January 2 Marton Fulop Tottenham £500,000

January 2 Jonny Evans Manchester United Loan

January 2 Carlos Edwards Luton Town £1.4m

January 8 Anthony Stokes Arsenal £2.0m

January 25 Danny Simpson Manchester United Loan

January 29 Stern John Coventry Undisclosed

Hysen was a Quinn signing, but i'll include him given the transfer fee.

Keane has spent about 7 million!

in such a shitty division like this, that sort of money talks. Keane has done a good job, but greater tests are sure to come, unless of course he can rely on his fat cheque book.

Keane has got a cold ruthlessness which will serve him well as a manager, because it is not a brainless ruthlessness but a thoughtful and calculating one. Ince was always destined to take longer to have an impact.

I do agree. Simple decisions like playing Hughes on the right wing continually are an example of the fundamental mistakes he has made. Using Stearman to fill voids in the midfield has clearly knocked his confidence in his normal position of right-back. Yes, Keane has had money to spend but he has shown that he is able to invest in the right players, Carlos Edwards for example.

I do believe Kelly desrves a chance with a couple of million but MM must be sure he uses it properly.

Yes, Keane has had money to spend but he has shown that he is able to invest in the right players, Carlos Edwards for example.

I do believe Kelly desrves a chance with a couple of million but MM must be sure he uses it properly.

even stevie wonder can see that Edwards is one of the best wingers in the division. Hardly a miracle spot.

Any opinions?

Ince had a chance of becoming the Wolves manager, but McCarthy was available. McCarthy had expereince of getting a team promoted (Sunderland) whereas Ince had nothing to show.

You talk about Keane like he's the next Alex Ferguson or Mourinho.

The fact is, Keane has achieved nothing in his managerial career yet.

I'm not going to praise him to the hilt (like you're doing) because he's got a fat chequebook at his side, and he can sign any player he wants. Big deal.

There's not one ounce of evidence in my opinion that suggests that Keane would be doing a better job if he was in charge of Leicester. Until he starts managing on a shoestring or successfully keeps Sunderland in the Premiership next season (if they so get there) I'm reserving judgement on his management ability.

Regardless of what has been posted in here since I last contributed, I'm glad Kelly didn't get the award. Perfect. We didn't lose our first game in March (granted we didn't win it) and so we're still on the unbeaten run. Mind you, Sunderland beat West Brom, so maybe the award isn't all that cursed after all. :ermm:

Archived