Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shrimpersrus

I come in peace....

Hi guys,

For those of you who went today to the hall I hope you had a good day out and got home safetly.

I am very interested on your opinons of the game today.I am not talking about the quality of football because we all know that was lacking in quantity.What I am talking about is the officals..IE Horsefield losing balance and getting the yellow card etc..Have the officals got worse then ever.

We at Southend and on the forums are feeing very agrieved regarding the officiating today and I would like your comments on this.

The following I wrote on a Southend website and many have wrote similary to this but I really would like you to hear from you guys after having a good pre-match chat with you today.

This is based on a Southend view...

I have calmed now..Well it is midnight.I hope you all have too - I have never seen so many upset, frustrated blues/Shrimpers as I did after the game today.Ok we didn't play well first half and we took a while to get going in the second,but this is not about that this is about the most inept officiating of a game you are likely to see.After all we didn't even lose and picked up some ground on the others.

The officials were so bad today it really was unbelievable! As has already been said and heard by so many the linesman gave offside / fouls against us at least 5 times when I would say that 3 were certainly not the correct decisions and the other 2 were very dubious.Their 2nd goal should not have been allowed due to an obvious offside seen by all except the lino and ref,but it wasn't just that, **throughout the game the officials were getting things so badly wrong**.Players stealing yards from throw ins',players faking injuries even their manager was reading out notes on the touchline and it was only because the normally **calm East Standers** got incensed and shouted out to the forth official that h felt he had to act and their Manager was asked to stop...Obviously he had already given the information to the player by then so it didn't really matter anyway.I don't know if Foran should have been sent off as it was difficult to tell but I did see the first yellow and it looked very harsh.Every single Southend player was upset by it so I am sure it could easily have been another ridiculous decision.This was such an important game that we could have won but once again we come away so frustrated buy inept officials.

OK we dodn't play pariculary well as I said above but this is not the point I am making.I don't remember the last time I really slated officials,even at the Colchester game ....Yes you can go back in history on the forum and check.I only like to speak and rant when I am as clear as I can be about something(and I wasn't at the time about the incident with Maher) and I can tell you today the officials were no better then those they officiate pub teams that turn up late for a game on a sunday.To see young and old in the East stand finding it hard,almost impossible to contain their emotions proves much.I have my season ticket in the east greens and although everyone is as much a Shrimper as anyone else in the ground those in the East pepole are frequently of a different ilk(doesn't mean better or worse)ie..less animated.I can tell you today though as Shrimper Jim said there were people so upset and frustrated that you would never ever expect to see and this was not because of the players on the pitch,however poor at times they were but it was because of the officials!

Cheers and good luck Ed.

Don't mean to ignore all the points you've made but I think the officiating was as bad for both teams today. As has been mentioned elsewhere, one of your defenders almost ripped Levi Porter's shirt off his back inside your area in the second half but no penalty was given. There will have been other decisions but they don't spring to mind immediately. When you're down there the decisions take on much more importance but I must say the ref appeared to be as good (or as bad) as any official you get in this division. All-in-all I feel that things even themselves out over the course of a season. We had a clown of a ref at Colchester by all accounts who gave them the softest penalty ever seen in professional football and gave a player who hadn't been booked yet a second yellow before realising his mistake. Then you get the Premiership rejects like Styles and Rennie who want to be the centre of attention and unfortuantely do so. When three points are so vital to you it's easy to look for people to blame when the points don't come but I think today you've got Paul Henderson to blame because he was the difference between you scoring 2 or 5.

Don't mean to ignore all the points you've made but I think the officiating was as bad for both teams today. As has been mentioned elsewhere, one of your defenders almost ripped Levi Porter's shirt off his back inside your area in the second half but no penalty was given. There will have been other decisions but they don't spring to mind immediately. When you're down there the decisions take on much more importance but I must say the ref appeared to be as good (or as bad) as any official you get in this division. All-in-all I feel that things even themselves out over the course of a season. We had a clown of a ref at Colchester by all accounts who gave them the softest penalty ever seen in professional football and gave a player who hadn't been booked yet a second yellow before realising his mistake. Then you get the Premiership rejects like Styles and Rennie who want to be the centre of attention and unfortuantely do so. When three points are so vital to you it's easy to look for people to blame when the points don't come but I think today you've got Paul Henderson to blame because he was the difference between you scoring 2 or 5.

fair play.As I said I am trying not to be biased but I have never seen so many angry people today,young and old.I said at the beginning I though it ridiculous that he booked your centre forward for a dive when it was plain obvious he lost his balance.Why would he dive when he was through on goal?We are all biased to our clubs but what I am saying was there any Leicester fan who was at the game who also thought the offical's were shocking??

fair play.As I said I am trying not to be biased but I have never seen so many angry people today,young and old.I said at the beginning I though it ridiculous that he booked your centre forward for a dive when it was plain obvious he lost his balance.Why would he dive when he was through on goal?We are all biased to our clubs but what I am saying was there any Leicester fan who was at the game who also thought the offical's were shocking??

I don't think things were getting to our fans as much today because in recent weeks we've eased away from relegation danger therefore decisions seem less important. For you, one bad decision could cost you Championship status therefore I understand frustrations being high. They would be for me too if we were in the same boat.

Btw, found your fans to be very friendly. We couldn't get in the away pub we'd been told to go to but the Southend supporters in the pub we did go to were friendly and even on my way to the away end one Southend supporter came up to me and told me where to go without me even asking for directions. Top marks :thumbup:

I didn't think the ref was THAT bad, yes porter was having his shirt pulled off in the penalty area, which we could clearly see and so could the ref as he was directly behind this, and I can not comment on the horsefield "dive" as I couldnt see that properly... but other than that, not being biased, he was an ok ref, especially when you've had the likes of Clattenburg, Rennie, and Styles officiating your game!

P.S our second goal could not of been offside as hammond played the ball backwards or straight to hume, and when hammond had recived the ball he was clearly behind your player (sodje)

I know you wanted to talk about the officiating but jonbluefox has pretty much said all I would say and more.

If I were you I'd concentrate on the fact that from both a footballing perspective, especially in midfield and up front you were far better than us. If I was a Shrimper I'd be proud of the style and quality of football that you played, not a lot of consolation when you're in danger of being relegated. Some of you passing and movement was a delight to watch and was much more entertaining than a lot of the dross we served up.

It's a difficult task for you down there but in all honesty you have the players the ability and it would seem on yesterdays showing the fighting spirit and belief to get out of there.

I really enjoyed the day in Southend, although I thought the police presence was way over the top, not for the first time this season and it's a place I'd like to come to again next season, so keep believing. :thumbup:

Btw, found your fans to be very friendly. We couldn't get in the away pub we'd been told to go to but the Southend supporters in the pub we did go to were friendly and even on my way to the away end one Southend supporter came up to me and told me where to go without me even asking for directions. Top marks :thumbup:

:D I love Southend and used to pop down to see some games when I lived in Hobleythick Lane, just around the corner. An old fashioned place that still retains the air of a "proper" football club.

Hope they avoid the drop :thumbup:

The referee didn't seem all that bad to me, but then, we were officiated by Uriah Rennie just last week and anything would seem like an improvement after watching him steal the spotlight. Sure, there were some dodgy decisions in the game, but you're going to get them whatever level you play/watch football. It's part of the game.

The lino on the right hand side in the second half was the man :D

Obviously we couldnt see if any of his decisions were correct down there but i didnt think the ref was favouring either side to be honest.We should have had a penalty in the second half when Levi was pulled back that we didnt get.Elvis was never offside... :whistle:

I'll be delighted if Southend avoid the drop. In many ways I liked their style of football Saturday. Even when they were losing they were trying to do the right things, playing quick passes to feet, trying to use the width and pushing people forward.

Off the pitch, there was a good mainly non-officious atmosphere in the ground, the pub we found near the ground offered a decent welcome to away fans and I thoroughly enjoyed my fish and chips at a restaurant which overlooked the Thames estuary.

I'll be delighted if Southend avoid the drop. In many ways I liked their style of football Saturday. Even when they were losing they were trying to do the right things, playing quick passes to feet, trying to use the width and pushing people forward.

Off the pitch, there was a good mainly non-officious atmosphere in the ground, the pub we found near the ground offered a decent welcome to away fans and I thoroughly enjoyed my fish and chips at a restaurant which overlooked the Thames estuary.

That it did. When we first walked in i wondered what was coming up but they were friendly and didn't care one bit. Apart from the 11 year old on the interactive quiz thing, don't think he liked us too much :P

Me and Maybes were in that pub,how did we not see you all?I no your small but still.

Weird.

Maybe because we were outside? Maybe because there were two parts to it? I don't know. I'm sure you would of heard Jamie anyway, he ain't half got a gob on him :ph34r::P

Maybe because we were outside? Maybe because there were two parts to it? I don't know. I'm sure you would of heard Jamie anyway, he ain't half got a gob on him :ph34r::P

Maybe..I would have spotted Thracian though. We was next to the pool table mingling.

You could have all brought me a drink.The Nelson right?

Maybe..I would have spotted Thracian though. We was next to the pool table mingling.

Pool Table :blink:

We were in the Nelson alright. I'm sure you must have been in the over 18's bit. We got turned down from there :P

We were there too - mostly out back in the conservatory-type section. Leicester fans all around us as far as I could tell.

Pool Table :blink:

We were in the Nelson alright. I'm sure you must have been in the over 18's bit. We got turned down from there :P

We got turned down from there as well. :whistle:

We were there too - mostly out back in the conservatory-type section. Leicester fans all around us as far as I could tell.

We were in the bar.I didnt no there was a conservatory section!

Took bloody ages to get a drink though.Just think...Thracian and Davie G could have mingled me with me and Maybes.

Archived