Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Let's be under no illusions

You cannot deny Leicester have done well statistically over the last six matches.

But like Hammond you can appreciate certain things as much as you like but that doesn't obliterate the faults, sadly.

Sooner or later Flynny we have to start developing a side that will win things - like promotion for a start.

The more work we can do towards that end now the better.

It would make a change if we were a step or two ahead come the summer rather than a step or two behind.

Surely developing a side would involve trying to get Fryatt back to his best and giving up on Elvis who is four or five years older and has never shown the same sort of goalscoring ability?

You cannot deny Leicester have done well statistically over the last six matches.

But like Hammond you can appreciate certain things as much as you like but that doesn't obliterate the faults, sadly.

Sooner or later Flynny we have to start developing a side that will win things - like promotion for a start.

The more work we can do towards that end now the better.

It would make a change if we were a step or two ahead come the summer rather than a step or two behind.

I think Kelly thinks he needs different players for his system, instead of thinking 'I know, I'll change the system'. Some managers might have got more effect from our current squad by changing things, but I still think that with a wad of cash, he might be able to make us defensively solid and capable of scoring a good amount of goals on the break, which is a tactically legitimate style of play. I just don't think he's had enough time. With the money he's had to work with, keeping us static instead of going backwards is an 'okay' achievement. A year and 4 months is a very harsh amount of time to give a man who's not taken us backwards.

Anywho, am I to understand that if you started Hammond this season, you'd be seeing that as a stopgap measure until we bring in a 'proper' goalscorer who can score goals but is also a classier all-around player?

Surely developing a side would involve trying to get Fryatt back to his best and giving up on Elvis who is four or five years older and has never shown the same sort of goalscoring ability?

fryatt needs his car taken off him so he has to walk everywhere, his problem this season is fitness. either that or pure laziness. being lethargic does show in play, hence his shocking shooting when he has had decent chances

The two things are separate.

Of course I would want Fryatt back to his best. I've criticised him because, so far this season, he has not done himself justice right from the start.

His limitations are undeniable to my mind but the question for his future is, can he improve and, to a great extent that depends on his attitude.

Hammond's case is not quite so simple as to dismiss him just because of his age and lack of impact.

Whatever went before he's made a decent contribution this season. I wish it was more widely appreciated. But the questions then are, can he keep it up, can he improve still further and, if we get rid of him, can we easily replace what he offers.

I don't know the answers to that but I see no obvious reasons why he shouldn't keep it up and continue to improve because, despite being 27, he's not worn out, he's fit and fast and he is still learning having had little in the way of chances before.

As for possibly replacing him with better, as I've said, I cannot imagine many better players than Elvis being willing to sit on the bench. But all players face the prospect of threatening competition. Sometimes its how they react that matters.

Kish may go and good luck to him as he is a class defender and should be playing for a better team, he probably thinks we're all tw*ts for booing him when he first arrived.

Nissa can do one, when he started spouting off about wanting to move to a bigger club earlier in the season I lost the little respect I had for him as a footballer....

Disagree !! With MM putting his money in, our best players are going nowhere.

I think Kelly thinks he needs different players for his system, instead of thinking 'I know, I'll change the system'. Some managers might have got more effect from our current squad by changing things, but I still think that with a wad of cash, he might be able to make us defensively solid and capable of scoring a good amount of goals on the break, which is a tactically legitimate style of play. I just don't think he's had enough time. With the money he's had to work with, keeping us static instead of going backwards is an 'okay' achievement. A year and 4 months is a very harsh amount of time to give a man who's not taken us backwards.

Anywho, am I to understand that if you started Hammond this season, you'd be seeing that as a stopgap measure until we bring in a 'proper' goalscorer who can score goals but is also a classier all-around player?

Not necessarily. To some extent it depends how he got on with a team that was helping him. And how he fared in a front three sometimes coming from the right side with an attacking midfielder behind. I'd also work on his touch. It's not such a difficult thing to get across. Then we'd see. His pace on an aspiring striker is not easy to find for the Championship. At worst I'd probably retain him for back-up.

Not necessarily. To some extent it depends how he got on with a team that was helping him. And how he fared in a front three sometimes coming from the right side with an attacking midfielder behind. I'd also work on his touch. It's not such a difficult thing to get across. Then we'd see. His pace on an aspiring striker is not easy to find for the Championship. At worst I'd probably retain him for back-up.

If you want to go up, the likes of hammond should not be anywhere near the squad. He is not good enough, he has pace that gets him to the ball, but when he has the ball most of the time he hasn't got a clue what to do with it.

If any league 1 or 2 stiker had his pace they would be better than him, it the only reason he is a proffesional.

I've not complained about our lucky victories in that they've earned us three points. I'm just not taken in by the claims by some that we are somehow playing well, and that individuals are playing well, just because we've had a run of six games unbeaten.

I've mentioned only today that the defence has conceded four in six which is promotion form - but that does not disguise the fact that they've been fortunate at times.

And when they're unfortunate we won't score enough goals to make up for it. So defensive over-emphasis won't get us promoted.

lol

Not strictly true Thrac, mate.

Without referring to the actual quote, I seem to recall you being very dis-satisfied with the lucky 3 points we picked up at Burnley. I think you may of even said you weren't bothered whether we'd won, drew or lost with a level of performance like that. :D

Its scary to think that had Paddy Mac not got injured a few weeks back that McAuley will either be on the bench or at best at right-back. Lets hope RK doesnt prefer Paddy ahead of McAuley next season.

As for the original topic, well we should be thankful that the 3 players nominated are part of our future. Calling us lucky and not to be under illusions because our GK and two defenders featured is a silly statement because thats what they are in the side for!!!! Its like you saying that WBA should be under no illusions because had Camara and Phillips not scored all those goals they wouldnt have won games!!

However, I agree that we shouldnt rest on our laurels. This squad and in particular team isnt good enough. We know that, MM knows that and so does Kelly. We have a few loanees that I would be surprised to hear that they stayed on. Players like Cada are out of contract and we have some money to spend so things will no doubt have to change. The test is that we manage to attract the right people to the club and I hope that MM keeps appearing on shows like Football Focus and Sky Sports News, hyping us up as we need to be high profile enough to attract some good premiership players who are willing to take the step down at a club they think will be ambitious enough to come straight back up.

Archived