Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Fryatt keen to help Foxes survive

From BBC Sport

Fryatt keen to help Foxes survive

Matt Fryatt cannot wait to play his part in helping Leicester climb away from the Championship relegation zone.

The striker has just returned to training after two months on the sidelines with toe and ankle injuries.

"It has been frustrating and I just want to get out there now and do what I'm being paid to do," Fryatt told the club's website.

"We've got some tough games coming up against teams who are either fighting for promotion or battling relegation."

He added: "The game against Stoke next week is massive and we don't want to be getting sucked into the relegation dogfight."

There's so little to report about Leicester they recyle a Club press release... the beeb dont usually throw out such a complete non-story, guess they needed a change from "Leicester 1- 3 QPR".

Yep Fryatt definitely can't wait to play his part in saving us this season. I mean, somebody who plays up front and has 3 goals this term is clearly the man for the job and is definitely going to play a major part in moving us away from the drop zone.

Yep Fryatt definitely can't wait to play his part in saving us this season. I mean, somebody who plays up front and has 3 goals this term is clearly the man for the job and is definitely going to play a major part in moving us away from the drop zone.

Ironically that is exactly the sort of thing that happens in football.

A player spends most of the season sitting on the sidelines then comes in to do something dramatic...like scoring the winning goal in the game that ensures City's survival.

That will elevate him to hero status - he's still incredibly highly rated by some for a bloke who's done so little in 2006/7 - but it won't change the fact that he needs to be properly fit and focused to get the best out of his considerable but limited ability.

A player spends most of the season sitting on the sidelines then comes in to do something dramatic...like scoring the winning goal in the game that ensures City's survival.

That will elevate him to hero status - he's still incredibly highly rated by some for a bloke who's done so little in 2006/7 - but it won't change the fact that he needs to be properly fit and focused to get the best out of his considerable but limited ability.

I'm sorry, can we just clarify who we're talking about here - Kelly or Fryatt? :dunno::ph34r:

Fryatt could well do a job for us if he got the appropriate service. However in our current squad, nobody is capable of giving him that service (which is part of the reason for his failure this season). I'd also say he needed to lose a few pounds and put some time and effort in on the training ground, as his fitness levels when he has played this season have been laughable - certainly nowhere near the standard you'd expect from a professional sportsman.

I'm sorry, can we just clarify who we're talking about here - Kelly or Fryatt? :dunno::ph34r:

Fryatt could well do a job for us if he got the appropriate service. However in our current squad, nobody is capable of giving him that service (which is part of the reason for his failure this season). I'd also say he needed to lose a few pounds and put some time and effort in on the training ground, as his fitness levels when he has played this season have been laughable - certainly nowhere near the standard you'd expect from a professional sportsman.

Fryatt is who I'm talking about and I agree with all you say - but no matter how Fryatt plays when he returns to the team - it would be typical of football that he should do something dramatic.

I don't care what Kelly does anymore.

Fryatt is who I'm talking about and I agree with all you say - but no matter how Fryatt plays when he returns to the team - it would be typical of football that he should do something dramatic.

Not even if he gets us relegated? :D:P

I agree to an extent to be honest. I can see Fryatt coming back and replicating the form he showed towards the end of last season, more than doubling his tally for the season and cementing his "cult-hero" status among the fans, so that he is offered a new deal in the summer and is definitely still here next year. Though I feel it'd all be a big charade, and he wouldn't be able to maintain that form going into next season, where he'll look ordinary at best again.

Wouldn't hurt to see Fryatt playing. I'm sure he'll start against Stoke. Hope he does well for himself and the team obviously. It's easy to forget he's only about 21/22 so he's still got plenty of years left in him and he can only improve in that time should he stay fit.

He's already showed us glimpses of what he can really do and before he got injured he was looking decent. I hope he starts against Stoke and gives as good as he can.

Wouldn't hurt to see Fryatt playing. I'm sure he'll start against Stoke. Hope he does well for himself and the team obviously. It's easy to forget he's only about 21/22 so he's still got plenty of years left in him and he can only improve in that time should he stay fit.

He's already showed us glimpses of what he can really do and before he got injured he was looking decent. I hope he starts against Stoke and gives as good as he can.

It's a big ask.....he's unfit overweight and his confidence will have taken a knock..I wish the lad well and if he can re-create some of the form he has shown in the past then that has to be good new's...however it may be a "bridge too far" this season!

It's always a different player isn't it? Last time it was Andy Johnson. I bet the players either

a) Get told to say it, or

b) Get told they'll get played if they say it, or

c) Just wanna suck up to the management lol

Fryatt hasn't become a bad player over night. He's probably not as good as some of us made out after his first few games for City but his showings this season aren't a true reflection of his ability imo.

It was interesting listening to his interview on LC World about why it has taken him so long to returm from his injury at Cardiff. The injury he picked up towards the start of the season was an ankle one and I don't think it's a coincidence that it has been an ankle problem keeping him out yet again. It sounds like the medical team at the club haven't just been working on the rehabilitation side of things but the prevention aspect too which you'd hope would help banish these ankle problems.

I still think a fit Fryatt is an asset although I doubt we'll see a fit Fryatt between now and the end of the season because his only match practice will come from first team games where his every move will be scrutinised by supporters.

Fryatt hasn't become a bad player over night. He's probably not as good as some of us made out after his first few games for City but his showings this season aren't a true reflection of his ability imo.

Well said. :thumbup: I still think he's a quality player, despite the criticism he's been getting from some on here.

It was interesting listening to his interview on LC World about why it has taken him so long to returm from his injury at Cardiff. The injury he picked up towards the start of the season was an ankle one and I don't think it's a coincidence that it has been an ankle problem keeping him out yet again. It sounds like the medical team at the club haven't just been working on the rehabilitation side of things but the prevention aspect too which you'd hope would help banish these ankle problems.

I just hope they didn't rush him back too soon like it seems they did with Weso. Although I can understand Rob wanting him back in the team as quickly as possible, it's not worth risking his long-term future over.

Well said. :thumbup: I still think he's a quality player, despite the criticism he's been getting from some on here.

I just hope they didn't rush him back too soon like it seems they did with Weso. Although I can understand Rob wanting him back in the team as quickly as possible, it's not worth risking his long-term future over.

Not only do strikers go through in and out form when playing regularly but Matty Fryatt is a young lad with alot of pressure who has been plagued by injuries this term and needs to be cut some slack. Also, and this is obviously just my opinion but I think the midfield he has had to supply him the ammo to score goals has been the worst since the Pleat days. I honestly cant remember a more atrocious midfield, creatively, since I started supporting the club in the mid to late 80s. That may be a little harsh on the only slight ray of light in Levi, another youngster, but this midfield is shocking and I wouldnt even want them as a D1 club, nevermind a so calle dtop Championship side.

Back to Fryatt, lets back the lad to come good and stop all these snide remarks from people who almost want him to fail just so that there point is proved. He may not be Gary Lineker but he has something that a club like ours is desperate for, potential.

Jury's still out on Fryatt, really. I think he's been immensely unlucky this season. I remember at the beginning of the year he had a lot of chances that, for the grace of God could have been goals and his confidence went. Then he got injured, then he couldn't get fit, then he couldn't get played, when he did play he still wasn't fit. Gasp.

I'm looking forward to seeing if he's fit, ready and raring to go next season before I make my judgment. I'd also like to see him tutored and nurtured by decent management, something else we might be lucky enough to see next term.

Jury's still out on Fryatt, really. I think he's been immensely unlucky this season. I remember at the beginning of the year he had a lot of chances that, for the grace of God could have been goals and his confidence went. Then he got injured, then he couldn't get fit, then he couldn't get played, when he did play he still wasn't fit. Gasp.

I'm looking forward to seeing if he's fit, ready and raring to go next season before I make my judgment. I'd also like to see him tutored and nurtured by decent management, something else we might be lucky enough to see next term.

Given the spate of publicity Kelly's giving Fryatt I must admit I expect him to start or play a part in the next match. In fact here's my team for Stoke:

Henderson

Maybury Kisnorbo Nisse Kenton

Newton Weso Tiatto Porter

Fryatt Hume

If Porter is injured I'll put Tiatto in, he's been quite good on the left this season. Fryatt should be fit to play if he trains in the next five days. Weso is a must. I cannot imagine what Jarrett can offer more. Hughes I still like despite his ineffectiveness in tackling and I'd use as a reserve. I'd think of getting Logan back in, simply to keep Hendo on his toes and work harder.

I still think he's a quality player, despite the criticism he's been getting from some on here.

I still support this guy and like him even those people are critising him on here I sure when his fit and got his confidence back he will start to back in the goals again. :P

Forget Matt Fryatt this season. His season is over as far as Im concerned. I cant see him starting a game for the remainding fixtures, only as a sub. We'll hopefully see the real Matt next season.

Id rather have a unfit Fryatt play ahead of Elvis. I think as a lot of you have said this season is over now for him and it has been disapointing not to see him playing much. I think it will be good for him to get a few games in try and get some confidence back this season and hopefully he will go on a diet over the summer and come back fit and ready to do a job for us next season.

Not only do strikers go through in and out form when playing regularly but Matty Fryatt is a young lad with alot of pressure who has been plagued by injuries this term and needs to be cut some slack. Also, and this is obviously just my opinion but I think the midfield he has had to supply him the ammo to score goals has been the worst since the Pleat days. I honestly cant remember a more atrocious midfield, creatively, since I started supporting the club in the mid to late 80s. That may be a little harsh on the only slight ray of light in Levi, another youngster, but this midfield is shocking and I wouldnt even want them as a D1 club, nevermind a so calle dtop Championship side.

Back to Fryatt, lets back the lad to come good and stop all these snide remarks from people who almost want him to fail just so that there point is proved. He may not be Gary Lineker but he has something that a club like ours is desperate for, potential.

I've read no snide remarks and I've certainly made none.

Fryatt started the season seemingly unfit and unable to do his job... who's sodding fault was that?

He played badly then got injured. He was returned to the side too early and played badly again.

Gradually he regained fitness and by the time Colchester came along he was looking something like his old self.

But he got injured again.

Now after another long lay-off people are already expecting the earth and calling people like me who urge caution - as I did with Weso, and rightly so.

Why would anyone wish Fryatt to fail cos I certainly don't.

And making a point at your expense is irrelevent to me.

Fryatt hasn't helped himself this season and while some still have blind faith in him, to me he needs to be fully fit and genuinely sharp to get the best out of what are limited but quite effective strengths.

If he shows that fitness and sharpness he can do okay but how people expect that after the time he's had off I don't know. Of course he might fluke one but the truth is he'll take weeks to be back at his best and in my view it would be safer and far more responsible to bring him back bit by bit.

I've read no snide remarks and I've certainly made none.

Fryatt started the season seemingly unfit and unable to do his job... who's sodding fault was that?

He played badly then got injured. He was returned to the side too early and played badly again.

Gradually he regained fitness and by the time Colchester came along he was looking something like his old self.

But he got injured again.

Now after another long lay-off people are already expecting the earth and calling people like me who urge caution - as I did with Weso, and rightly so.

Why would anyone wish Fryatt to fail cos I certainly don't.

And making a point at your expense is irrelevent to me.

Fryatt hasn't helped himself this season and while some still have blind faith in him, to me he needs to be fully fit and genuinely sharp to get the best out of what are limited but quite effective strengths.

If he shows that fitness and sharpness he can do okay but how people expect that after the time he's had off I don't know. Of course he might fluke one but the truth is he'll take weeks to be back at his best and in my view it would be safer and far more responsible to bring him back bit by bit.

To answer some of the above....

Its the coaching staffs fault and the managers if a player isnt fit to play. If a player isnt fit to play a game he shouldnt start, especially at the start of a season. Maybe our pre-season training needs to be looked at?

Some people are so engrossed in the academy players to such an extent that it seems that they hope that players like Fryatt fail so they can harp on about players like Dodds or even players they like better like Elvis. I think you are one of those people who almost cant lose as if Fryatt does well you are happy for Leicester but say little to praise MF but if he fooks up then the same old story comes out about the amazing academy kids are and they should start ahead of this player that you continuously label as limited.

The fact is that Fryatt came for a relatively big fee as a teenager who has scored at the lower level, he did well last season but then has had injury and form problems and has played in a pi$$poor team. Lets give the lad a proper chance before we start writing his footballing obituary.

To answer some of the above....

Its the coaching staffs fault and the managers if a player isnt fit to play. If a player isnt fit to play a game he shouldnt start, especially at the start of a season. Maybe our pre-season training needs to be looked at?

Some people are so engrossed in the academy players to such an extent that it seems that they hope that players like Fryatt fail so they can harp on about players like Dodds or even players they like better like Elvis. I think you are one of those people who almost cant lose as if Fryatt does well you are happy for Leicester but say little to praise MF but if he fooks up then the same old story comes out about the amazing academy kids are and they should start ahead of this player that you continuously label as limited.

The fact is that Fryatt came for a relatively big fee as a teenager who has scored at the lower level, he did well last season but then has had injury and form problems and has played in a pi$$poor team. Lets give the lad a proper chance before we start writing his footballing obituary.

I've praised Fryatt on lots of occasions. And have never vaguelly written his football obituary. Quite apart from all that I consider Fryatt to be an Academy product anyway - not our Academy but another who is only just into Championship level football and needs to understand that all he has will disappear without the right attitude and application. I might say exactly the same about Stearman .

Archived