Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jordan

A gentlemen's agreement

I'm not sure if this has been discussed within the past 24 hours, but one draw in their last two games would all but guarantee safety for both Barnsley and Leicester (unless the unlikely scenario of Hull and Leeds winning both of their respective games happens, and even then Leeds would have to win by huge margins in order to pass Leicester because of goal difference).

So, why don't Barnsley and Leicester put their passive-aggressive ticket price row behind them and play to a draw next Saturday and just get this over with? Sure, it might, well, go against every fundamental aspect of honor and piss off a lot of people who believe teams should always compete as hard as possible (see West Germany vs. Austria, Spain 1982), but after Leicester's recent scare, is it best to not take any chances with safety from relegation?

Makes no sense to Barnsley. They are on a half-decent run at the moment, they're at home, they're playing a team with one win in eleven, even if they went for it and lost on the counter they'd still need Leeds to win both their games to overhaul them, same as if they drew. They might as well try and go for the win to be absolutely sure, which after all they've got a really decent chance of doing.

...then again, if Barnsley and Leicester find out during their game that either Hull or Leeds are destined for defeat, those at Oakwell might be treated to a wide-open midfield-free 20-goal game ;)

But a win for either team would guarantee 100% safety. a draw is not 100%, you cant rule out Hull and Leeds losing both, its football afterall.

Us and Barsnley are 5 points ahead of Leeds with 2 games remaining. We both need to draw our two remaining games and we are safe. And even better in our case, we have a better GD than Leeds, so a draw at Barnsley and a loss at Wolves would still mean we still in the league.

I think those of you thinking it will be a bore draw are in for a shock. Both teams are low down there but are coming in off the back of a win, and will want to prove themselves. I don't think either team will rest on their laurels, I think they will go at each other. A draw it may be, but it would be a point won rather than a point settled for.

Us and Barsnley are 5 points ahead of Leeds with 2 games remaining. We both need to draw our two remaining games and we are safe. And even better in our case, we have a better GD than Leeds, so a draw at Barnsley and a loss at Wolves would still mean we still in the league.

Yes but a 0-0 is no good for Barnsley as they're goal diff is the same as Leeds, can they really risk it all ?

Both teams will be going for the win imo, this is not Italy.

Of course both teams will try for the win. I very much doubt they will purposely draw to possibly relegate Leeds. To be honest I think the draw is on the cards anyway. I would happily settle for it because it means we're definitely safe :dunno:

Its a risk for Barnsley because of their goal difference. But i think with Leeds having Derby it is a risk that both clubs will take. It is football i know, but you play to the percentages and at the end of the day what are the chances of Leeds beating Derby and thats if they beat Ipswich?

Game fixing is against the law, done by "Gentlemen" or otherwise; that be why they don't do it. Now if the managers decide to play for a draw without collusion, that's a different matter.

Wortho will not be playing for a draw, he has two more games to impress Milan so he can get the job full time. I expect he will want to be able to walk into Milans office saying that it took a couple of games, though the performance and commitment were better, for the team to learn what I wanted them to do but then after that we won the next three games. So I am the man for the job - can I have a contract please. I would guess that worho is taking the same approach with the players saying to them that if you want to be here next season then you need to impress me or you are on the transfer list.

Yes but a 0-0 is no good for Barnsley as they're goal diff is the same as Leeds, can they really risk it all ?

Both teams will be going for the win imo, this is not Italy.

Exactly. And telling the lads to 'cool down' after all the effort they've put in over the last three games is insulting.

Its a risk for Barnsley because of their goal difference. But i think with Leeds having Derby it is a risk that both clubs will take. It is football i know, but you play to the percentages and at the end of the day what are the chances of Leeds beating Derby and thats if they beat Ipswich?

Yeah agree. However......after this weekends fixtures Derby may be out of the promotion spots and want to "rest players" for the play offs.......i know Derby's 2nd X1 could still beat Leeds but it does give another possibility that 3pts at Pride Park may be possible for Wise.

i think both teams will go out and have a go for the win but if 70 mins is on the clock and its a draw i think both teams will settle for that and neither will bust a gut for a winner . i won £250 predicting that denmark and sweden would draw 2-2 in the euros knowing that both sides would qualify on that . everybody will deny they have even thought about it but i aint convinced , personally i hope we go there with the intention of winning

i think both teams will go out and have a go for the win but if 70 mins is on the clock and its a draw i think both teams will settle for that and neither will bust a gut for a winner . i won £250 predicting that denmark and sweden would draw 2-2 in the euros knowing that both sides would qualify on that . everybody will deny they have even thought about it but i aint convinced , personally i hope we go there with the intention of winning

I say agree to draw but then deliberately put effort in during injury time and score a winner, 3 points, yes please, and then hope Leeds still go down. Football is already getting gay enough with all the divers and injury feigning, it's time to get dirty I say.

Archived