Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Can anyone confirm?

UEFA U17 Championship Finals

Group B

Wednesday 2 May 2007

Ronse, Belgium

England made a perfect start to their European Championship adventure when they beat Iceland 2-0 on Wednesday.

Krystian Pearce and Danny Rose scored the first half goals to hand England the points, although Head Coach John Peacock was left with a bitter-sweet feeling at the final whistle.

Teamshot_Euro07_H.jpg"The most important thing was to win the game, but I was disappointed with our second half performance," said Peacock. "We did not pass it well and that's something we will need to look at before our next game.

"But it was crucial to get off to a good start," he added. "People expect you to beat Iceland, and my expectations are high. Iceland were just happy to be there - their manager said that - but they worked hard to stop us playing. Being 2-0 up at half-time, it's difficult to run away with the game."

Peacock spoke prior to the game about the importance of hitting the ground running in a tournament. Birmingham City defender Pearce was certainly listening, turning the ball in at the far post after just four minutes following Jonathan Franks' pass.

"We had worked on our set-plays," insisted Peacock. "We thought they might be vulnerable at the back post. It's Krystian's first goal for England - I'm delighted for him."

JohnPeacock_relaxing_H1.jpgEngland continued to press, winning a series of corners before the ten minute mark, while Victor Moses went close twice before the young Lions doubled their advantage on 24 minutes.

Again Franks was involved, supplying the pass for Rose who blasted into the top corner of the net from the edge of the box.

"That was a good goal," said Peacock.

Chances were sparse in the second half with Seth Nana Ofori-Twumasi spurning one of the few openings on 52 minutes.

England: Steele (Middlesbrough), Ofori-Twumasi (Chelsea), Pearce (Birmingham City), Spence (West Ham), Mattock (Leicester City), Moses (Crystal Palace), Lansbury (Arsenal), Woods (Chelsea), Plummer (Bristol City), Franks (Middlesbrough), Rose (Leeds United).

Subs: Welbeck (Manchester United), Murphy (Arsenal), Taiwo (Chelsea), Smithies (Huddersfield), Gosling (Plymouth Argyle), Porritt (Middlesbrough), Hoyte (Arsenal).

England face hosts Belgium on Friday. A win will put the young Lions a step closer to a place at the World Championships in Korea. To see how they fare, tune into Eurosport for a 3pm kick-off.

I :wub: you Bert. I just wanted to clear that up.

Mattock is playing for England, and doing a good job from what I understand. Larvely. He'll be a first team regular next season.

taking nisse's place when hes gone :D

taking nisse's place when hes gone :D

That's highly likely I'd say and there's no real reason a fit Sheehan shouldn't be understudy.

They are different players but both have the passing style we need and Sheehan is sure to get some opportunities because of Mattock's England Youth commitments I would think.

This would fit in with my belief that we should have appropriate cover in every position.

Both are young, likely to improve and Mattock is certain to have sell-on value.

Archived