Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes_Trust

Audience with Martin Allen

I've likened Martin Allen to the late Bill Shankly and there really are similarities. Both larger than life, naturally quick witted and totally focused on football but MA's an intrigingly eccentric character in his own right - with real presence and the most refreshing approach to management you'll ever come across.

What a great night out. Over two hours of insights, questions and answers with not a diplomatic filter in sight. MA answered virtually every question with the most refreshing frankness. He even wrote some of em down so he didn't miss bits or look as if he was avoiding something.

There are no certainties in football but even if Leicester City were quoted 2000-1 for relegation with the bookies I wouldn't even risk a quid. Waste of money.

As for potential success, on a scale of 1 to 100 with MA, MM and the rest of the management team in charge I'd say 99 after last night. The focus is so pronounced.

A few insights from the MA comments:

* Losing a game "ruins my entire weekend".

* Mark DeVries is now known as "The Fridge" instead of Deep Freeze cos he's slimmed down so much.

* Leicester will never have a more committed chairman than MM or a more down to earth guy. "He wants to know about everything I do" and he'll sit up all night talking football.

* He's had the City dressing room altered cos it was too big and he felt too distant from the players.

* He expects every player to be in the centre circle at the end of matches - whatever. Hopefully it will be for a standing ovation but they have to earn that right. If it's not for an ovation he wants them there anyway to get whatever they deserve.

* He sprinted across the training ground to give Elvis Hammond a big hug - for crunching into a tackle. He clearly expects commitment in training and said: "Football is a hard game. Without broken noses and getting hurt we won't win anything."

* He made it clear there's a huge emphasis on developing a clan spirit and a tireless attention to detail in many directions.

* Louis Dodds missed the weekend friendlies because of injury. He spoke well of his performance in a previous training game.

* George Graham and his father had most influence on him as a manager.

* He still expects to strengthen "two areas" but had no comment that he'd want repeated on our search for a centre-forward.

* At the end he asked what fans expected from the team. Their answers will be on posters around the dressing room.

What a great raffle prize there was too. One fan won the chance to get an inside taste of the matchday atmosphere and routine at Saturday's friendly against Notts County.

He would join the manager two hours before kick-off and witness every aspect of the build up and aftermath, even to the point of joining MA on the bench.

Martin Allen clearly carries a banner for honesty, team ethic and hard work and those principles were evident by what he put into making last night so memorable. He gave it the same 100% he obviously expects from everyone around him and in everything they do.

There was nothing remotely sterile about the occasion - the evening was a statement...about the massive changes that have been affected at Leicester City and a rousing statement of intent.

Great post Thracian. You've given a full account of the evening. I got the impression that MA will demand success and is the type of manager who will get the players playing for him and the team.Anyone playing without pride will be shown the door.He clearly believes he can improve all the players in the squad and has 100% belief in himself. The story about Elvis being hugged by the manager after chasing down and crunching the left back in training was pretty amusing.If he can turn Elvis into a finisher he really will be a miracle worker.I presume that you were the person asking questions about Dodds and Stearman

Great post Thracian. You've given a full account of the evening. I got the impression that MA will demand success and is the type of manager who will get the players playing for him and the team.Anyone playing without pride will be shown the door.He clearly believes he can improve all the players in the squad and has 100% belief in himself. The story about Elvis being hugged by the manager after chasing down and crunching the left back in training was pretty amusing.If he can turn Elvis into a finisher he really will be a miracle worker.I presume that you were the person asking questions about Dodds and Stearman

:thumbup:

* Mark DeVries is now known as "The Fridge" instead of Deep Freeze cos he's slimmed down so much.

Belly laughs for that one :D

So Thrac, did he have no comment or just one he didn't want repeated on our search for a centre-forward?

I tell you, with each passing week my respect and admiration for Allen grows in leaps and bounds. Top geezer.

If he can turn Elvis in to anything approaching a footballer, there is no point signing players for transfer fees and paying them a lot of money.

He'd be better off hanging round Brixton, rounding up wannabe gangsters who can run a bit and repeating the trick with them.

If he can turn Elvis in to anything approaching a footballer, there is no point signing players for transfer fees and paying them a lot of money.

He'd be better off hanging round Brixton, rounding up wannabe gangsters who can run a bit and repeating the trick with them.

Or setting up a stall to sell the wine he created using only water

Belly laughs for that one :D

So Thrac, did he have no comment or just one he didn't want repeated on our search for a centre-forward?

I tell you, with each passing week my respect and admiration for Allen grows in leaps and bounds. Top geezer.

On the question of whether we would be getting a centre-forward he had no comment. In so many words he also wanted to get the message across that he had no intentions of wasting or being pressured into wasting MM's money or paying over the top for people.

* He still expects to strengthen "two areas" but had no comment that he'd want repeated on our search for a centre-forward.

I'm confused by this?

No need to be. It's no secret that enquiries/negotiations are ongoing and, true to form, he wants to say nothing until something is actually done. There's no doubt he's experienced some frustrations but he wouldn't wish to give details of what they were.

No need to be. It's no secret that enquiries/negotiations are ongoing and, true to form, he wants to say nothing until something is actually done. There's no doubt he's experienced some frustrations but he wouldn't wish to give details of what they were.

I get you now, I mis-understood your original comment. I thought you had said that Allen wasn't stepping up his pursuit for a striker or two.

Yeh great post Thracian thanks :thumbup:

.............oh and by the way who asked about Louis Dodds? :whistle:

Someone did enquire in one of the Friendlies threads so I thought I'd get em an answer. :)

It is refreshing to have a manager who will let you know these things if you ask instead of having people disappearing into apparent exile like last season and none of the fans having the slightest idea why.

Someone did enquire in one of the Friendlies threads so I thought I'd get em an answer. :)

That was me, i used to go to school with him and played in the same side as him for years was also my dad that first scouted him and signed him for the school of excellence way back when.

So thanks Thracian for clearing that up i was getting worried with all the other strikers than he was as you said gonna drift into obscurity again.

That was me, i used to go to school with him and played in the same side as him for years was also my dad that first scouted him and signed him for the school of excellence way back when.

So thanks Thracian for clearing that up i was getting worried with all the other strikers than he was as you said gonna drift into obscurity again.

You're welcome, we ex-Ratby lads should help each other! :thumbup:

Good stuff.

We all know he is relatively inexperienced in management, especially at this level so this will be a major test for MA. Obviously I hope he will hit the ground running and settle into his role of taking us up but lets not over-hype the bloke and expect too much too soon because if we dont get the perfect start that we are hopeful of getting it will only lead to some prats calling for his head.

BTW lol at the Bill Shankly comparisons!!! :frusty: :frusty:

Archived