Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stez

virtual cd swap

Tommys....

1. OP - not a bad opener, gotta do the washing up but this should help me get through it.

back from the dishes... wamted to give this a fair listen.

2. HCDP - poo... sorry this is not good, i'm sure they can play but just have no time for this kind of stuff, sorry.

3. TD60s - hmm, i think this might have been what daggers was hinting at - non-descript indie, heard it all before.

4. WRM - not really my thing, but interesting none-the-less, certainly a step up in class from the previous track

5. EA - oh tommy, looks like our tastes differ massively - to me this is just another band trying to be franz ferdinand - and, boy there's a lot of em around.

6. SC - but then... love the tracking on this, not a fan of the vocals, but probably the best track since the first one.

7. TRD - interesting take on ska, don't here to much these days, not a bad track at all, thanks

8. CB - this is very 1996, you know when indie meant mansun and meanswear, that whole camden thing - 3/10

9. TR - i'm assuming this is modern cause it's very very samey - no character, could be anybody

### shit, i feel really bad, tommy, don't take this personally, i'm just an old frustrated musician! ###

10. PL - hey, now this is better, must have purged mysen just there - this is cool and full of personality and style

11. TP - alright for what it is, but not my cup of tea...

12. JP - this is interesting - sounds like a demo, but the songwriting (especially the chorus) is what a lot of these other tracks are missing... cool

13. TC - a strong and confident sounding track....

thanks for making this tommy, i did enjoy it, even tho i probably don't sound like it, but i'll download anymore you make - just for those surprises you throw in!

First off the bat for today ...

Valrenga's CD

Stand Out Tracks - Baby I Love, Lloyd I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken, 'Till I Die, Maybe After He's Gone, Kinks, Wearing Levi Porter's

Worth Another Listen - Pop, A Word In Your Ear, The 5678's (from Kill Bill right?), I Just Wan't To Be Your Friend, Make The Madness Stop, Toxic Girl

Throwaway Tracks - I Can't Let Go, I Love All The Love In You (wasn't as bad as i feared), Im gonna Steal Your Boyfriend Away, The Crazy Hazel Nutcases!

Throw In The Bin Tracks - Chewing Gum, Dr Who Theme Tune, Mr Spaceman

Can't Get You Out Of My Head Track - 5678's - fun times all the time!

Overall Rating - *** 1/2 (out of 5*)

I described it elsewhere as Twee Pop hits and Surfer Dude Rythms. Throughout the first few songs this theory is proved on the money with Zombies and Beach Boys tracks to come i can see im gonna like this already.

Although i do spy a few Country tracks which ordinarily im not a fan of, but we shall see, i have faith.

When after 16 songs i finally get to a Kinks/Beach Boys double header the CD peaks for me and all the promise i had is fulfilled especially with the fantastic final track, the cd is however only let down slightly by the country lark and dr who.

Overall a jolly good show old chap :thumbup:

ahh, LFF's monster....

1. WK - ok, so when did it become cool to sing in rough english accents - my band did this in the 90s and people criticised us for it... this ain't a bad tune, i believe i am due some of there stuff by e.mail :whistle:

2. TC - Tommy had one of their tracks, which i prefered to this - this is just another franz ferdinand rip off

3. HOTS - not my thing, but i liked this a lot

4. EM - pretentious vocal, normal jangly indie backing - trying to hard to be cool and edgy, i think....

5. CDP - see my note to tommy's re:camden 1996.... and the bass player is terrible!

6. Maccabees - LFF, next time i'm in leicester, you need to explain to me why these bands all have thes singers that think it's 1982?

7. Dykeenies - phew, before you thought i hated yr music - this is very listenable, not a brilliant song, but if it's a demo, lots of promise

~~~ yikes, pc is gone loopy, gotta reboot and i'll finish this in a minute....

8. chalets - i like the chorus, great harmonies - a little like one of leicester's finest 'prolapse'

9. YSPWSD - this is a good track, love the 'shhh'

10. remi nicole - i just don't get these sort of acts, the lyrics are kinda wannabee amy winehouse i'm-so-hard-done-by lyrics... this particular track, sounds like some girl playing at some house party on windermere street....

11. RATM - more thick sounding vocalists, see comments to track 1 - i'm just jealous, i guess, in many ways i blame jarvis cocker and the streets, also my sister is called keeley, so that's kinda creepy - again, look at prolapse if you like this kinda thing....

12. LC - i think the first line says it all - boy, you really like these regional boy/girl things don't you - i like her voice, and the tracking so these win over the others.

13. DBM - again, think they're trying to be too clever - God, this actually sounds very like my old band, woah, and that was in the mid 90s... not bad, i guess

14. TLO - these seem to be one of the better bands of this current 'crop' - bloody hell, i was 10 years ahead of me time!

15. JD - this is good, i like this, like the repetitive feel and the lazy drumming....

16. TDA - whilst i'm not really into this kind of thing, i liked this track, they have a good solid feel...

17. HCDP - still not convinced - but way better than the one tommy included.... (dammit, tommy, i'm sorry!)

18. AM - still not really jumped on the bandwagon, but of all this type of band they are in a different class - genuine songwriting ability, here,

19. PDS - i'd have to say that this is one of the best tracks on here, which is odd cause i own nothing remotely like it!?

20. DD - not bad, sounds very scandinavian.... i like this, yes...

overall, a very consistent compilation, maybe just a little too consistent for me... i'd try to tell you what stood out, but while i liked many tracks, actually nothing really made me wanna go out and shop... perhaps that's why i struggle with so many bands just lately???

god, now i'm kinda sad, think i'm gonna listen to some captain and tennille....

cheers, for the effort LFF

First off the bat for today ...

Valrenga's CD

Stand Out Tracks - Baby I Love, Lloyd I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken, 'Till I Die, Maybe After He's Gone, Kinks, Wearing Levi Porter's

Worth Another Listen - Pop, A Word In Your Ear, The 5678's (from Kill Bill right?), I Just Wan't To Be Your Friend, Make The Madness Stop, Toxic Girl

Throwaway Tracks - I Can't Let Go, I Love All The Love In You (wasn't as bad as i feared), Im gonna Steal Your Boyfriend Away, The Crazy Hazel Nutcases!

Throw In The Bin Tracks - Chewing Gum, Dr Who Theme Tune, Mr Spaceman

Can't Get You Out Of My Head Track -

Overall Rating - *** 1/2 (out of 5*)

I described it elsewhere as Twee Pop hits and Surfer Dude Rythms. Throughout the first few songs this theory is proved on the money with Zombies and Beach Boys tracks to come i can see im gonna like this already.

Although i do spy a few Country tracks which ordinarily im not a fan of, but we shall see, i have faith.

When after 16 songs i finally get to a Kinks/Beach Boys double header the CD peaks for me and all the promise i had is fulfilled especially with the fantastic final track, the cd is however only let down slightly by the country lark and dr who.

Overall a jolly good show old chap :thumbup:

cheers mate, your comments make feel even worse for all my grumpy complaints, now... glad you liked, anyway :clap:

sounds like it didn't play in the order i set it to, how odd - which was the final track (should've been dr who)???

also, no can't get it out of your head - which one, any?

Jay's Rock CD

Stand Out Tracks - The Devil's Taking Names, You're Having The Time Of My Life, Propaganda, 16 Military Wives, Remedy

Worth Another Listen - Lazy Boy, New Eyes Open, Into Action, Please Forgive Me, Pick Yourself Up, Gaslight Anthem

Throwaway Tracks - The Weakerthans, Jane, The Press Corpse

Throw In The Bin Tracks - City to City, Bomb's Over Brooklyn, Piss And Vinegar

Can't Get You Out Of My Head Track - Propaganda

Overall Rating - *** (out of 5*)

On first glance it looks more punk orientated than rocky and im just hoping it doesn't fall into Rock Against Bush territory whereby every song sounds very similar.

Unfortunately at times the CD does play to type and a few of the songs do sound very similar due to the heavy Tim Armstrong influences throughout. At least at first it does (and again towards the end).

However there are some highlights notably the Lawrence Arms and Jets To Brazil tracks both of which i automagically looked to as great songs before i started listening. Also enjoyed the splatterings of the ska based stuff such as the All Stars and Westbound Train and of course The Slackers.

Once the CD hits Jets To Brazil it willingly jets in a different direction which is the equivalent of a 2 week holiday in Barbados in comparison to a month in a caravan in Mablethorpe that was the majority of the first few tracks.

Then the track i'd been waiting for - The Gaslight Anthem that has been built up by peeps (i.e. TPH) in other threads. And it delivered, i liked it and shall probably go out of my way to go get me some more of thier shizz.

Not a bad CD overall.

cheers mate, your comments make feel even worse for all my grumpy complaints, now... glad you liked, anyway :clap:

sounds like it didn't play in the order i set it to, how odd - which was the final track (should've been dr who)???

also, no can't get it out of your head - which one, any?

Yeah sorry i missed that one out i think but it was The 5678's track fo show.

:thumbup:

Now For The One I've Been Waiting For ...

Tommy's Tunes.

Stand Out Tracks - Jack Penate, Commercial Breakdown, Peace And Quiet, Panic Attack, Ancient History, Girls In The Back (Where have you been all my life! Whip Crack!), Shipwreck

Worth Another Listen - Pop Levi, The Doll Queue, Kick Drum, Get What You Want, Bolt Of Steel

Throwaway Tracks - A Brief Stop

Throw In The Bin Tracks - None

Can't Get You Out Of My Head Track - All I Want Is A Little Piece Annnnnnnd Quiet!

Overall Rating - **** 3/4 (out of 5*)

Im firstly glancing again and straight off the bat by band listing alone this mix has got a solid 3* base to build from as it is a veritible who's who of my favourite bands of the moment here - The Cribs, The Rank Deluxe, Jack Penate, The Dead 60's, Operator Please, Sunshine underground ... the list continues.

But before i wear out my tongue with all this bottom licking i should really dig in to reviewing this shindig as im really looking forward to hearing the stuff that shall de-virginise my ears. Pop Levi and WRM especially.

As the late great Keenan Thompson used to say ... 'Ahhhh here goes'

My early hyperbole is completely justified as this mix breathes x ray spex appeal. Im not sure what that means but i know that i like it. Whip Crack Girls In The Back! My new favourite song, cannot believe this beauty has eluded me for so long. Immense song. LOVE IT!

Only minor downside i can see is the track choice of Operator Please and The Dead 60's as i would've chosed Crash Tragic and Riot Radio instead to make this more perfect. Also im only a passing fan of Ego Armalade and as such twas a bit throaway for me. Pointless critsism though!

All in all hail Tommy my new musical leader for introducing me to WRM and bolstering my iTunes library.

Throwaway Tracks - The Weakerthans

Shocking.

I've just listened to Jays rockish cd and enjoyed it most along with Finnegans, although I do listen to 3-4 of the bands already. :thumbup:

Of those I didn't know previously, The Draft song was my favourite as I didn't realise the old members of Hot Water Music had a new band until now. Really good.

I didn't like the Ska towards the end. :whistle:

VÃ¥lerenga, I hope you won't be heartbroken if I say I found yours a bit mediocre. Nothing particularly shit, but a lot of it just washed right over me. I liked "lloyd, i'm ready to be heartbroken" and the Camera Obscura song.

In depth analysis takes too long, sorreh. :/

VÃ¥lerenga, I hope you won't be heartbroken if I say I found yours a bit mediocre. Nothing particularly shit, but a lot of it just washed right over me. I liked "lloyd, i'm ready to be heartbroken" and the Camera Obscura song.

Well as long sa you like mine :whistle:

Do I have to as payback or something? Maybe I'll pan it as revenge for being edged out by a quarter of a star. :P:D

lol

Im sorry that Tommy is better than you i really am. I was rooting for the golden syrup but the indie cindy choons won me over as they always will.

Was still a bloody good CD mind.

Of Montreal :wub:

just finished listening to marks and finners' ones.

marks was alright, soz boss, but shoegazing was never my scene at the time! ;) i did like some of it;

caspian - like the build upin this track, it's a little tease!

cursive - james bond-tastic

minus the bear - the groove on this was great!

finners' one(very close twixt this and jays hip hop one) i espicially liked; dj tiesto, guitar wolf, gogol bordello and the tossers,and of course that one off pulp fiction. i can dance if i wanna.

heh, no not at all, each to their own, i am a little surprised, but no worries... i was feeling very mellow that day.

lol

Im sorry that Tommy is better than you i really am. I was rooting for the golden syrup but the indie cindy choons won me over as they always will.

Was still a bloody good CD mind.

Of Montreal :wub:

Haha, I was suprised anyone liked it at all to be honest. When I do my "proper" one no-one will probably like it at all. Things tend to go like that.

VÃ¥lerenga's:

no disrespect, but this would be great as a background music cd, (not so it could be ignored!) but it's nice and gentle, (although dr who would raise a few eyebrows during d'oeuvres) and reminds me a trips in the car when my dad has his 8 track. i especially loved:

ramones

the carter family - 30's blues-tastic

and the hollies

Archived