Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FilboFox

Football Manager 2008

Man City 2nd Season

After finishing in the top 4 in my first season I was hoping for more of the same in this one. In came:

Kader Keita (£16m)

Zaccardo (£12.5m)

Camacho (£9.75m)

Nihat (£24.5m)

And Huntelaar in a part exchange deal for Michael Johnson.

Out went Ireland, Fernandes, Bojinov, Dunne and Jo, aswell as a few youngsters.

Premier League

After a good pre-season we kicked off the season with a 3-2 win over West Brom, with their goals coming in the last 5 minutes. Sadly, Liverpool were the next opponents and I knew that it was too early in the season to face them, we lost 2-1. A win over Bolton and a draw with Fulham followed, but then came a stunning 4-1 win over Spurs with Nihat scoring 2 on his debut. It proved to be a false dawn though as we lost to Pompey and then drew with Blackburn. We got back to winning ways with a 5-2 win over 'Boro though, then beat Barnsley 3-1 (Hume scored :giggle:) and then a dull game against West Ham where Nihat scored after 2 minutes and then nothing else happened. Next up was Villa who were going well in 5th, and Agbonlahor scored 2 as they beat us 3-2 to continue to be our bogey team. And our bogey player. <_<

The next game was Man United at home and I was pretty confident given our record against them last season. I was proved right as we won 4-2 in a great game. 2-0 up with 10 to go, Fraizer Campbell and then Wayne Rooney brought them back level. But then Elano scored in the 89th minute for me before Huntelaar wrapped things up in stoppage time. Again though, we couldn't continue it. A dismal showing against Everton led to a 4-2 defeat, then a 0-0 draw with Wigan wasn't the best way to go in to a game against Chelsea at the Bridge. Turns out it didn't matter, as we battered them and won 4-1! Remarkable. Arsenal next, and we battered them too, 3-0! We could still finish in the top 4 after all! Derby were the next team to be panned, 4-1 this time. Then a draw with 2nd in the league Newcastle, followed by a win over Reading. Things were good. But then, on boxing day, came a devastating defeat to West Brom, 5-2. :(

Another new start then and we started the year with 3-0 wins over Portsmouth and Bolton. Next was a decent 2-2 draw with Liverpool, although we were 2-0 up. Fulham were the next opponents, and they were seen off comfortably. But Spurs then beat us and Blackburn got a draw (again!) to leave us chasing the top 4, which oddly contained Everton and Newcastle. A Nihat brace got us 3 points against 'Boro, and then a Huntelaar brace secured a win against Barnsley. But then disaster struck, 3 draws in a row against Villa, West Ham and Man United followed by a loss 2 Everton and then ANOTHER draw against Wigan meant we'd blew any hopes of top 4. A 2-1 defeat against Chelsea and I gave up for the season and decided to play youth. They produced a good showing too, narrowly losing to Arsenal 3-2, before beating Newcastle 2-1. Going into the last 2 games I went a bit overboard and player youngsters all over the park and we lost Reading and Derby.

So, we finished 7th which thanks to Man United and Chelsea winning the cups meant we qualified for the Euro Vase. Phew.

League Cup

Round 3: West Ham, a 2-0 win thanks to Martins and Elano.

Round 4: 3-2 win over Reading, scraping through in the last minute courtesy of a rare Micah Richards goal.

Quarter Final: 3-0 loss to Newcastle, out we go.

FA Cup

This lasted long, a 3rd round exit to Villa. I hate playing Villa.

Champions League

After seeing Kayserispor off comfortably in qualifying, we were handed a tough group of Barcelona, Juventus and Nurnberg.

Kicking off with an away tie against Barcelona, we were introduced to the Champions League with a bang. A 4-1 defeat showed us this was going to be tough. Juventus next up, this was a huge game. Thankfully we won 4-3, the scoreline flattering Juve. Nurnberg next and an easy 3 points, 3-0 win. It was the Germans again next and it was the same result, 3-0 win. Going into the game against Barca we knew a point would send us through, and we got it with a 1-1 draw, despite conceding after 24 seconds lol I sent out a reserve team for the final game, a 3-2 loss to Juventus, but it didn't matter. We were through!

A terrible draw though, AC Milan. We were at home first and it was vital we won. After 3 minutes Huntelaar headed us into the lead, but then AC turned it on. Seedorf and then Eto'o turning the game around. Still on the backfoot, a Nihat free kick brough us level. The second half started differently, with us very much on top and after 5 minutes Robinho won a penalty, which he stepped up and scored himself. After 63 minutes it was 4-2, Robinho again. We even had a goal wrongly disallowed late on, but that would have been a bit greedy. It finished 4-2. The second leg was tense, AC attacking from the off, us mainly defending. Ronaldinho gave them the lead after 22 minutes but we defended heroically from then on. Eventually though, after 80 minutes Borriello stepped off the bench and scored to send them through on away goals. :(

No trophy again this year then.

Decided to download the WeeGiE update and start, suprise suprise, with Man City. In pre-season at the minute, debts have already had to be re-structured and I've spent upwards of £50million of my transfer budget (£106million for a European Qualification). Chairman is so kindly selling off some of my players, but the people I actually want to sell nobody wants!

Got Man Yanited away first up. Good times. :D

Man City 2nd Season

No trophy again this year then.

lildave3 OUT!

Thats an awesome report again, im enjoying these. So much so im thinking of buying the 08 CD again. Only a tenner I think probably.

Into my second season with Notts County.Following promotion last year (with out spending a penny!) im three games into the new one.

Heres some "stars" I've manged to find (unless im so far behind they've all been spotted before):

Rory Loy - Striker - Rangers - Free.The boy is a young Paul Dickov, chases everything!Scored 18 goals last year and has already netted three this year.Only 19 as well!

Marc Kalenga - DM - Rangers - Free. Solid player does what he's paid for...already being chased by some Prem clubs.

Jordy Brouwer - Striker - Liverpool - Free.Not as effective as Rory but great impact player, under 20 as well.

Leigh Mills - CB - Spurs - Free. Solid Centre back should be good enough at Championship level soon.

Lee Robinson - GK - Rangers - Free. Eng under 19 keeper match winner!

Jacques Maghoma - Spurs - Free.Playmaker who's got a eye for goal.

Kieran McKenna - Spurs - Free. Can play RB,RW,CM and he's quality in each position!

Winston Parks - Unattached - Striker. scored 21 in 46 for me before 500k move away.

Damien Plessis - DM - Liverpool - Free.

John Cunliffe - Strker - MLS.Poor fitness levels but once he is match fit he really doesnt stop scoring!

First season with Man City went quite well, methinks.

Brought in Huntelaar, Tymoschuk, Camacho, Akinfeev, Mattock ( :ph34r: ), Defour, Kieran Gibbs (potential to be as good as Robinho :ehh: ) and Andrey Arshavin at a combined total of £75million. Pocket money! :D Also decided to give Chinedum Onuoha a place in my first team, and he's been a revalation. Daní Sturridge is an absolute monster as well, even in the first season. Made 5 starts for me, scored 11 goals (bearing in mind he played a Uefa Cup Quarter and Semi final as well as 3 crucial Premiership games), including 2 hat-tricks in his first two games!

Went in to the final day of the season in 2nd place, a point behind Arsenal and a point ahead of Man Yanited. Well placed, it would seem.. Only, my final game of the season was away at Arsenal. Went 2-0 and 3-1 down before an hour. Managed to salvage a 3-3 draw and walk away with some respectibility. Couldn't stop Man Yanited winning the league, though. :angry: Finished 3rd and qualified for the Champions League, but was predicted to finish 11th. Quite successful. :)

Won the Carling Cup by beating Man Yanited in the final on pens after drawing 0-0 over 120 minutes. Lord knows how I managed to make it through the game without conceding. They had around 30 shots on goal. I had 14. Ahh well, you don't take your chances you don't win games. :D

Wasn't so lucky in the FA Cup final, though, where I lost out to Chelsea 2-1. They raped me as well, had 8 more shots than I did so deserved it in all honesty. Drogba scored them both. :(

Managed to get to the final of the Uefa Cup, avoiding all the big teams in the knockout rounds and having to play the Old Firm in the Quarters and Semis. Beat both with ease, Celtic more so than Rangers. Was handed a final against Valencia, who were without the injured David Villa (also top scorer in the tournament). Went 1-0 down undeservedly after 20 minutes, their center-back beasting Micah Richards in the air and scoring from close-range in a rare venture into my penalty area. Team kept pressing on though and after having 14 or so shots mostly off target, Richards got his revenge, rising like a salmon and powering a header in unmarked from a Petrov freekick. 1-1 at half time. Kept the pressure up after the break, but found their goalkeeper in the form of his life. Introduced Robinho and SWP after 70 minutes and it paid off straight away, SWP running at his man wide on the right and being brought down. Robinho delivered the freekick and it fell to Magic Man Elano (10 goals in the last 5 games of the season), who poked home from the penalty spot. Found it easy to hang on until the final whistle, David Silva and Joaquin were almost non-existant and Villa was badly missed. Champions - Man City. :P

Well placed for the new season, got a £200million transfer budget just for being asked to qualify for the Uefa Cup again. Easy! lol.. Brought in Guardado, doubt I'll bring in many new faces as the team's gelling pretty well. First up, Chelsea away. Easy! :D

Just finished my second season with Notts County in League 1, finished 2nd!!

With Forest coming down from the championship we are now the top club in Nottingham!! :crylaugh:

Rory Loy has had another good season bagging 24 this year alongside Jay Bothroyd who got 20.

Kristian Timar (Plymouth DC) and Richard Lee (Watford GK) added much needed steel to my back four after both signed for free in november.

Two promotions in two years and only £4K spent so far!

Typical. There's me and Mikey plodding along nicely then Jamie shows up and makes us look like fools.
I know.

How dare he. :angry:

lol!! I'm just playing my own game lads, sorry. Not going so well this season, really. Well, I say that but I'm top of the Prem, in the knockout rounds of the CL and FA Cup 4th round after beating Ilkeston in Round THREE 8-0. Got knocked out of the Carling Cup by West Ham in the quarters in extra time despite having 30 shots on goal without scoring, whereas they had 6. :frusty:

Thought you pair were getting on pretty well anyway??

lol!! I'm just playing my own game lads, sorry. Not going so well this season, really. Well, I say that but I'm top of the Prem, in the knockout rounds of the CL and FA Cup 4th round after beating Ilkeston in Round THREE 8-0. Got knocked out of the Carling Cup by West Ham in the quarters in extra time despite having 30 shots on goal without scoring, whereas they had 6. :frusty:

Thought you pair were getting on pretty well anyway??

Not that well.

Archived