Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FilboFox

Football Manager 2008

My thoughts exactly. I used hard tackling in my last game (not through DB's advice) and picked up 8 yellow cards. Amazingly nobody saw red, my opponents did though :laugh:

Yes. When you use hard tackling you wind up your opponents and they seem to always get sent off. I dunno if it's a bug but I make good use of it :thumbup:

Just won the 2026 World Cup with England to add to my Euro 2024 crown, and have been offered the Brazil job! The offer was duly accepted. I've also returned to club football after a one season break, with Leverkusen, who have won the last 3 Bundesliga titles. My aim is to keep up their winning streak in Germany and hopefully land Leverkusen's first ever European Cup.

Finished my first season with Man City, a season in which I spent £167 million. Hefty.

Pre-season I set about strenghtening my squad, in came Lescott, Maniche, Arango, Tymoshuck, Roma, Heskey, Martins, Barnes and Walcott on loan.

Premier League

Kicking off with a 3-0 win against West Ham with Robinho scoring twice, I knew i'd enjoy this season. A 4-1 defeat to Chelsea followed by a 3-0 loss at Portsmouth made me doubt that a bit, but after a swift change of tactic and two dramatic 4-3 wins I knew I was on the right road. The wins continued, until Sunderland came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 in the last 10 minutes. Another dramatic goal filled game against Villa was next, and thankfully we won 3-2 to give us a bit of confidence.

A couple more routine wins came next, and then came our toughest spell of the season: Arsenal, Fulham, Man United, Liverpool. I'd hoped for 5 points, but it looked like we'd get more after a shock win over Arsenal, Ireland with a(nother) last gasp winner for us. Fulham next then, an easy win I thought. 90 minutes later and I was proved horribly wrong. A bizarre 5-0 drubbing. :nono:

But we bounced back! A 3-2 win over United (this time it was Elano who got the last minute winner!) and then a frankly stunning 3-0 win at Anfield made me feel confident about breaking into the top 4. Then came 2 losses in a row, to the mighty Wigan and West Brom >_<

I strenghtened even more in January, bringing in Ashton, Lucarelli, Huttong, Akinfeev, Enyeama and Bale. The added bonus of proper full backs and more goals made sure the second half of the season went well. Comfortable wins, followed by dramatic wins, followed by the odd controversial defeat gave me a real chance of finishing in the top 4. The horrible spell came round again, but this time I lost to Arsenal and Man United and beat Fulham. This left me 2 points behind Liverpool who were having a disappointing season. Next game turned out to be vital, I beat Wigan 2-1 and Liverpool lost at Chelsea, leaving me 4th by a point and with Liverpool next to play.

The big game came, and after 23 minutes Fernando Torres bagged his 30th of the season to put them ahead. But right on half time Cristiano Lucarelli leveled it up and we bossed it from then on. An Elano goal was disallowed, and Reina was having a great game, before finally, in the 90th minute Obafemi Martins ran onto a through ball and lashed home :D

3 games left, I knew 2 wins would see me finish fourth so I sent the team out to get goals. They did, a 6-2 win over West Brom, Lucarelli grabbing a hat trick. As it turned out, Liverpool lost to Bolton and that meant I was to finish fourth!

Carling Cup[/b]

I'd set myself a target to reach the final of this, the board wanted quarters.

First up was Millwall away, and ended in a comfortable 5-1 win. Happy days. Next up, Portsmouth. 0-0 at half time, I set out more attacking and it paid off, 2 goals after 10 minutes of the second half. But they pulled it back, scoring their 2nd after 82 minutes. Just as I thought we were heading for extra time, Martin Petrov scored a free kick to send us through :)

In the quarter finals it was Sunderland, and a comfortable 2-1 win. Martins and a rare Jo goal seeing us to the semis. Into the semis then, and the best draw available: Aston Villa. At home first, Lucarelli scored after 10 minutes. But a goal in stoppage time of both halves gave Villa a 2-1 lead going into the second leg. Knowing we had to score twice, I set out attacking and it didn't pay off. Two goals from Agbonlahor on the counter sent us out. Dream over.

FA Cup

Sheffield Wednesday were the first opponents in this tournament, and an easy 3-0 win sent us through. Robinho scoring a stunning 30 yarder. Onto Portsmouth (again) and a dull 0-0 draw at home. It was another dull affair at Fratton Park, but late goals from Lucarelli and Martins sent us into the next round. The next round was Wolves. A game I expected to come through easily, but we were on the backfoot for most of the game. Thankfully Petrov scored twice to make it another quarter final.

A trip to St. Andrews was next, and Walcott opened the scoring after just 7 minutes. Nicky Butt leveled, but Lucarelli scored yet again 2 minutes later and it was off to the semis!

Man City's first ever encounter with the new Wembley ended in disappointment. A 5-2 loss at the hands of Arsenal. Another dream over.

Uefa Cup

Panionios and Lillestrom were cast aside in the qualifying stages, then Banik Ostrava too in the first round. Into a tough group we went, starting with Fiorentina. They were just too good for us, and beat us 3-1 giving us a disappointing start.

A 3-2 win over Sparta Prague, a 2-0 win over Ajax and a 2-2 draw with Hibs sent us through in 2nd place though.

Olympiakos awaited us in the first knockout round and a 2-1 win gave us a good first leg advantage. Into the second leg and we were 3-0 up at half time. Somehow though, Olympiakos scored 4 and made us cling on for dear life. We did. Through on away goals. Heerenveen were next, and a disappointing 1-1 draw made me fear for our progress. But I needn't have worried, an emphatic 5-2 win in Holland meant we were in our third set of quarter finals of the season.

Valencia. The worst possible draw for this round. 1-0 down after 2 minutes, 2-1 up after 7, the drama continued. Eventually we lost 4-3, with David Villa scoring a hat trick. In the second leg we were destroyed. 4-0. Another 3 goals from Villa.

No trophies this season then.

-------

:| That post turned out to be a LOT longer than I orginally planned.

Finished my first season with Man City, a season in which I spent £167 million. Hefty.

Pre-season I set about strenghtening my squad, in came Lescott, Maniche, Arango, Tymoshuck, Roma, Heskey, Martins, Barnes and Walcott on loan.

Premier League

Kicking off with a 3-0 win against West Ham with Robinho scoring twice, I knew i'd enjoy this season. A 4-1 defeat to Chelsea followed by a 3-0 loss at Portsmouth made me doubt that a bit, but after a swift change of tactic and two dramatic 4-3 wins I knew I was on the right road. The wins continued, until Sunderland came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 in the last 10 minutes. Another dramatic goal filled game against Villa was next, and thankfully we won 3-2 to give us a bit of confidence.

A couple more routine wins came next, and then came our toughest spell of the season: Arsenal, Fulham, Man United, Liverpool. I'd hoped for 5 points, but it looked like we'd get more after a shock win over Arsenal, Ireland with a(nother) last gasp winner for us. Fulham next then, an easy win I thought. 90 minutes later and I was proved horribly wrong. A bizarre 5-0 drubbing. :nono:

But we bounced back! A 3-2 win over United (this time it was Elano who got the last minute winner!) and then a frankly stunning 3-0 win at Anfield made me feel confident about breaking into the top 4. Then came 2 losses in a row, to the mighty Wigan and West Brom >_<

I strenghtened even more in January, bringing in Ashton, Lucarelli, Huttong, Akinfeev, Enyeama and Bale. The added bonus of proper full backs and more goals made sure the second half of the season went well. Comfortable wins, followed by dramatic wins, followed by the odd controversial defeat gave me a real chance of finishing in the top 4. The horrible spell came round again, but this time I lost to Arsenal and Man United and beat Fulham. This left me 2 points behind Liverpool who were having a disappointing season. Next game turned out to be vital, I beat Wigan 2-1 and Liverpool lost at Chelsea, leaving me 4th by a point and with Liverpool next to play.

The big game came, and after 23 minutes Fernando Torres bagged his 30th of the season to put them ahead. But right on half time Cristiano Lucarelli leveled it up and we bossed it from then on. An Elano goal was disallowed, and Reina was having a great game, before finally, in the 90th minute Obafemi Martins ran onto a through ball and lashed home :D

3 games left, I knew 2 wins would see me finish fourth so I sent the team out to get goals. They did, a 6-2 win over West Brom, Lucarelli grabbing a hat trick. As it turned out, Liverpool lost to Bolton and that meant I was to finish fourth!

Carling Cup[/b]

I'd set myself a target to reach the final of this, the board wanted quarters.

First up was Millwall away, and ended in a comfortable 5-1 win. Happy days. Next up, Portsmouth. 0-0 at half time, I set out more attacking and it paid off, 2 goals after 10 minutes of the second half. But they pulled it back, scoring their 2nd after 82 minutes. Just as I thought we were heading for extra time, Martin Petrov scored a free kick to send us through :)

In the quarter finals it was Sunderland, and a comfortable 2-1 win. Martins and a rare Jo goal seeing us to the semis. Into the semis then, and the best draw available: Aston Villa. At home first, Lucarelli scored after 10 minutes. But a goal in stoppage time of both halves gave Villa a 2-1 lead going into the second leg. Knowing we had to score twice, I set out attacking and it didn't pay off. Two goals from Agbonlahor on the counter sent us out. Dream over.

FA Cup

Sheffield Wednesday were the first opponents in this tournament, and an easy 3-0 win sent us through. Robinho scoring a stunning 30 yarder. Onto Portsmouth (again) and a dull 0-0 draw at home. It was another dull affair at Fratton Park, but late goals from Lucarelli and Martins sent us into the next round. The next round was Wolves. A game I expected to come through easily, but we were on the backfoot for most of the game. Thankfully Petrov scored twice to make it another quarter final.

A trip to St. Andrews was next, and Walcott opened the scoring after just 7 minutes. Nicky Butt leveled, but Lucarelli scored yet again 2 minutes later and it was off to the semis!

Man City's first ever encounter with the new Wembley ended in disappointment. A 5-2 loss at the hands of Arsenal. Another dream over.

Uefa Cup

Panionios and Lillestrom were cast aside in the qualifying stages, then Banik Ostrava too in the first round. Into a tough group we went, starting with Fiorentina. They were just too good for us, and beat us 3-1 giving us a disappointing start.

A 3-2 win over Sparta Prague, a 2-0 win over Ajax and a 2-2 draw with Hibs sent us through in 2nd place though.

Olympiakos awaited us in the first knockout round and a 2-1 win gave us a good first leg advantage. Into the second leg and we were 3-0 up at half time. Somehow though, Olympiakos scored 4 and made us cling on for dear life. We did. Through on away goals. Heerenveen were next, and a disappointing 1-1 draw made me fear for our progress. But I needn't have worried, an emphatic 5-2 win in Holland meant we were in our third set of quarter finals of the season.

Valencia. The worst possible draw for this round. 1-0 down after 2 minutes, 2-1 up after 7, the drama continued. Eventually we lost 4-3, with David Villa scoring a hat trick. In the second leg we were destroyed. 4-0. Another 3 goals from Villa.

No trophies this season then.

-------

:| That post turned out to be a LOT longer than I orginally planned.

Great analysis.

When I finish my season with Man City I will post something similar, although not as long. :P

Yes. When you use hard tackling you wind up your opponents and they seem to always get sent off. I dunno if it's a bug but I make good use of it :thumbup:

Does it get easier for your team if someone was sent off for the opposing team?

Never tried hard tackling... always thought it would end up with my team getting sent off and us losing all the time... I think I might try it out along with some other 'out there' moves... I'm normally very conservative and like to keep them playing good safe football... it normally works but sometimes I really feel the back line is VERY suspect... completely unlike real life... (Leicester).

Cant seem to post an image of my Crewe team so here's a link

Sold Carl Fletcher and Michael O'Connor towards the end of last season (1m each) and signed SEB, B Gunnarsson, Alex Pearce and some random U19 Ireland international.

This is my 3rd season in the Championship with Crewe, my first games have all been at home to Reading, Blackburn and now Derby. In them games i've conceded one goal in each, coming in the 91st, 87th and 92nd minute.

Selling Carl (I get booked every 1.something games) Fletcher made me think the team discipline would have gone down. But against Derby I had 7 YC's and a Red.

Some things never change.

Just won the 2026 World Cup with England to add to my Euro 2024 crown, and have been offered the Brazil job! The offer was duly accepted. I've also returned to club football after a one season break, with Leverkusen, who have won the last 3 Bundesliga titles. My aim is to keep up their winning streak in Germany and hopefully land Leverkusen's first ever European Cup.

I reloaded to before I accepted my new jobs. I decided I want to bring through a new generation of English players, so have now taken over the under 21s and 19s as well as the England senior job. The Leverkusen offer was a good one, but I've never had any domestic success in England so I want to achieve that before I go abroad again. City are strugling in the Championship a season after relegation from the Premier League, so I'm hoping for the job to come up so I can rebuild the club and make them a top six Premier League side.

Archived