Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

#6 - Marks Mix

DOWNLOAD

01. iLiKETRAiNS - Terra Nova

02. Air Formation - Cold Morning

03. This Town Needs Guns - Baboon

04. Look Mexico - You Ever Get Punched In The Face For Talking Too Much?

05. Aereogramme - I Don't Need Your Love

06. Kubichek! - Method Acting

07. Clogs - Kapsburger

08. Hood - They Removed All Trace That Anything Had Ever Happened Here

09. edIT - Ants

10. The Boxer Rebellion - World Without End

11. From Monument To Masses - The Quiet Before

12. Venetian Snares - Öngyilkos Vasárnap

13. Boy Is Fiction - Say Ah

iLiKETRAiNS - Terra Nova

Epic post-rock eh? Wasn't expecting this. lol I'm sure there's a reason why this is different to Editors but I'll be damned if I can hear it.

Air Formation - Cold Morning

Particularly enjoyed the horn section.

This Town Needs Guns - Baboon

I'm enjoying the intro. So much so that I've turned my speakers right up, so we better not have the usual wall-of-sound guitars deafening the **** out of me. A drumbeat that borders on jazzy kicks in. This is really excellent. Yes. Is this band all along these lines? I am thoroughly enjoying this song and will endeavour to discover more.

Look Mexico - You Ever Get Punched In The Face For Talking Too Much?

Hard act to follow. This is pretty good too though, something a bit different. It has a lot of the same sounds that you might hear in something from a Dawson's Creek soundtrack but it's all been set up a bit differently and ends up being very quirky. I liked it.

Aereogramme - I Don't Need Your Love

This is a bit serious. Snow Patrol.

Kubichek! - Method Acting

Something a bit different, pretty good this. I can even imagine Smutsy liking this one. Bet this sounds good live.

Clogs - Kapsburger

Yep, liked that.

Hood - long title

Also enjoying this. I don't really know what to say for a lot of these other than "yes, I liked it" or indulge in a bit of slagging. I don't have many reference points for this sort of thing so it'd be lazy to compare it to, say, Kid A. Suffice to say, I think this song is brilliant.

----

Will do the rest later.

I kind of like the music but the blokes voice just bores me a little

I like the soundscapes on this one it's very atmospeheric but just seems to be missing something for me, maybe it's because of how quiet the vocals are compared to everything else

I likes this one it's a good song

I love the song title of this is the best one I have seen in ages, the song isn't to bad either

bit to ambient for me the first minute just put me off

it's ok but sounds a bit bland just doesn't grab me. kind of like it but it just passes you by a bit to easy.

07. Clogs - Kapsburger

oh dear lord.... next song just isn't for me

great song title again but far to ambient for my liking, actually no it's been playing a few minutes it's growing on me although it's a song in my opinion that would be really good if you had say been to Amsterdam for the weekend...

09. edIT - Ants

this ones not bad not sure it needs to be so disjointed though not sure what if anything it adds to the song

could listen to this one again.

I really do struggle with guitar based instrumental music it just isn't for me

this is more like it sounds abit like Waldeck which Fez hooked everyone up with a while a go with a hint of Portishead for good measure. really enjoyed this one!!!

it's like 4mins long and has about 30 seconds of drums in the middle that bit is pretty good and more of that would go down well it's just the 2mins before and minute after that ruins it for me.

In conclusion a bit to ambient for me but a worthwhile mix for Venetian Snares alone!!

Had this on my MP3 player at work and just listening to it casually I can already say I enjoyed the latter part (again!) of it more than the former part. Venetian Snares stood out. Will do the review asap :)

[Kubichek! - Method Acting

Something a bit different, pretty good this. I can even imagine Smutsy liking this one. Bet this sounds good live.

You'd be correct.

As soon as i get a spare weekend ill crack on reviewing where i left off. Coincidently when's my week? Mine's done and raring to go.

What can I say, that was great! Fez said it was like The Editors, but more like Interpol (Editors are a poor man's Interpol) and going further back in time, The Swans. I'll be looking them up.

Well I like a bit of shoe-gazing, but this is a little shoe-gazing by numbers. Nothing outstanding.

A song about Nottingham? Why would I want a song about Nottingham? Started interestingly, but didn't like the vocals. Pass.

Occasionally I do, yes. This is one of those songs that either I'm gonna like if I give it a chance - or hate for giving it that chance. The jury's out.

This is more like it. Nice ambient tune, but weak vocals in places, though once he hits the higher notes towards the end he sounds good. What do I know?! Added to my playlist.

Nope, I'm getting nothing, sorry.

07. Clogs - Kapsburger

Erm... the first bit of "classical" music on the FT Mixes? Interesting.

Sub-standard GSY!BE, but okay for all that. Stuff like this requires more than a few listens.

09. edIT - Ants

Hehe, this sounds like it was edited by ants. I like the irony, and for that alone I shall give it a :thumbup: Wierd thing though, the play bar reaches the end of WMP after 24 seconds and then it carries on playing and can't be moved on any more.

Singers vocals are reminiscient of Thom Yorke. I really liked this. Another one to look up and add to the playlist.

A bit too repetative for my taste - that riff that plays constantly through it really annoys me.

This will need more listens, but I suspect it's gonna come down on the wrong side of meh.

Nice wind-down/play out tune.

Thanks a lot Mark, some nice stuff in there.

One would assume I'd listened to this mix enough now to do a review, but I've really struggled to form an opinion of it. I think you've made a very good coherent mix here, but it suits a specific mood. I've changed my view on how to do reviews, so I'll only comment on the tracks that stood out and made me take notice. I no longer see the point in criticising tracks just because I don't like them, so suffice to say they're not my cup of tea.

I really found the Aereogramme, edIT, Boxer Rebellion, Venetian Snares and Boy is Fiction tracks to be the best and most interesting ones. I'm in a bit of an atmospheric and electronic phase too right now, and those songs inspired some of that mood as well. Boxer Rebellion track is really a powerful emotional track and sends shivers down my spine. Boy is Fiction and Aereogramme tracks are lovely too. I'm often a sucker for odd time signatures, so Venetian Snares was always going to be interesting, especially the way he's mixed this song. I've looked up a bit more of his stuff, but am not as convinced as with the sample you gave. The edIT is even more quirky, but it works well, even though I can't listen to it that often. It gets on my nerves after a while.

I'd expect a bit more of the From Monument to Masses track. It has potential but lacks a certain something. Likewise, the Air Formation track should have worked well with me as well, but I found it boring actually. I only found the Hood and Kubichek tracks to be marked weak points in the mix, with the remaining songs leaving me quite indifferent.

Overall, I'm more impressed with this mix than your previous one. Very good effort, and I'll listen to this again in the future for sure. Thank you :)

Hmmm, think I might take that angle too from now on Shen. What's the point in criticising music - it's not that the musicians have no skill (save for your boy/girlband manufactured X-factory types), just a difference of opinion that only creates divisions.

This world needs more love! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Archived