Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Many's the slip between hand and mouth...

That's Brave, never seen a bookie pay out early

I know Paddy Power who I met on a golf trip a few years ago. They paid out on the Premiership early one year and got lots of free publicity for doing so - radio 5 ,national papers etc. I saw him again at The Belfry a couple of years later at an event covered by television. One of the most frequently shown holes is the 10th and after a few drops of rain Paddy was scurrying amongst the spectators around the green dishing out free Paddy Power umbrellas. Grateful spectators and free advertising for little costs. It goes without saying that the bookies do these things for their own gain rather than ours.

That's Brave, never seen a bookie pay out early

http://www.betfredmedia.com/betfred_history.asp

Fred’s decision to pay out early on Manchester United for the Premier League title in 1998 has become legendary. A lifelong fan of the Reds, he felt they had an unassailable lead at the top of the table and decided to let punters have their money with ten games to go. To his horror, Arsenal managed to overhaul United’s lead and become Champions, so Fred ended up paying out on them too! The whole episode cost Fred around half a million pounds, but it didn't stop him paying out early on United in 2000 and 2001 and on Celtic in 2001 and 2004.

And we've got 20 to go

I know Paddy Power who I met on a golf trip a few years ago. They paid out on the Premiership early one year and got lots of free publicity for doing so - radio 5 ,national papers etc. I saw him again at The Belfry a couple of years later at an event covered by television. One of the most frequently shown holes is the 10th and after a few drops of rain Paddy was scurrying amongst the spectators around the green dishing out free Paddy Power umbrellas. Grateful spectators and free advertising for little costs. It goes without saying that the bookies do these things for their own gain rather than ours.

Yeah but stories about premier league teams often attract national media attention, I can't imagine this is going to make too many headlines. Seems pretty pointless to me.

Yeah but stories about premier league teams often attract national media attention, I can't imagine this is going to make too many headlines. Seems pretty pointless to me.

Not really as Mark Jarvis is only a local bookie so they would only want local attention. They are a Leicester based bookie with the odd shop up north. They are trying to draw local betters into there shops mainly Leicester city fans, to use a Leicester based bookie, by gaining publicity in a Leicester based paper. Makes perfect sense to me.

Not really as Mark Jarvis is only a local bookie so they would only want local attention. They are a Leicester based bookie with the odd shop up north. They are trying to draw local betters into there shops mainly Leicester city fans, to use a Leicester based bookie, by gaining publicity in a Leicester based paper. Makes perfect sense to me.

:thumbup:

Archived