Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lillehamring

The Great Buildings of Leicester Thread

Ok, in response to accusations of my one-sided censure of everything Leicester... here is a much needed thread where I invite people to post pictures of their favourite buildings in leicester.

modern or ancient - residential or commercial - a celebration!

and to start it, i would like to post some pictures of buildings designed by leicester's greatest architect, Joseph Goddard (and company):

turlangton11.jpg

clocktower.jpg

churchlangton13.jpg

hallaton67.jpg

regentrd451.jpg

granbysthsbc.jpg

londonrd1.jpg

This is a great photo that shows why it is important that we keep our older buildings, the only sad thing is that where the boring red brick part of the curve is, there used to be a really good building - shame that it's facade couldn't have been retained,s eeing as it wouldn't have affected the 'curveæ element:

3548276966_e3774493d7.jpg

What is that building used for? I know it's owned by Leicester uni but I pass it everyday and have always wondered what it's purpose is.

Lovely tudor house :thumbup:

MOCK tudor :whistle:

wasn't it the nurses college?

I thought someone would pick up on that lol

Wasn't sure if it was, did look a bit to modern.

well, the clue was that all those buildings were designed by Joseph Goddard :thumbup:

well, the clue was that all those buildings were designed by Joseph Goddard :thumbup:

When I opened the image in the new window I did see Goddard in the url but assumed it was the name of the building lol

Back to buildings some great architecture still to be seen in Rutland.

image1906.JPG

you forgot this one.10rqr0x.jpg

a lot of people have actually been quite criritical of this front, saying it looks too office-like, i personally like it, just wish it was the right blue!

a lot of people have actually been quite criritical of this front, saying it looks too office-like, i personally like it, just wish it was the right blue!

That'll be me, I don't like it one bit, well except the glass badge is fine.

clocktower.jpg

I was the Quantity Surveyor for the building contractor that built the building on the right of the picture.

Laskys occupied the ground floor and Ladbrokes were in the basement.

1985 it was!

Thanks for the memory :thumbup:

I remember one day I was sat in the site hut when a woman came in covered from head to toe in wet concrete that had accidentally been dropped over the side from first floor level. It was hard not to laugh.

I was the Quantity Surveyor for the building contractor that built the building on the right of the picture.

Laskys occupied the ground floor and Ladbrokes were in the basement.

1985 it was!

Thanks for the memory :thumbup:

I remember one day I was sat in the site hut when a woman came in covered from head to toe in wet concrete that had accidentally been dropped over the side from first floor level. It was hard not to laugh.

:crylaugh:

i was going to post an image with the previous building, which was beautiful - do you remember why this one was built, did the old one burn down or something?

EDIT: found it....

historic_clocktower_01.jpg

i was going to post an image with the previous building, which was beautiful - do you remember why this one was built, did the old one burn down or something?

I can't remember as I was in hospital for the first three months of the project but I have a feeling that we demolished it as it was unstable and was pulling down the building next door - Cavendish House maybe?

Archived