Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lillehamring

The Great Buildings of Leicester Thread

The towers in terms of size would be great for a hotel, but no disrespect to anyone living round there, it's hardly in right area, especially for a hotel of that size. I mean a building that size wouldn't be a B+B it would be luxury hotel. In Northfields? Not happening is it. Distance from town perfect, but it's in a pretty crappy area. If you could pick it up and move it a few miles out of town towards Barkby, Queni sort of area maybe, but not in Northfields.

I believe that 'Arnold Lodge', a medium secure psychiatric hospital has been built on the grounds of 'The Towers'. What the NHS will do with that building I don't know, can't see no one wanting to stay there though (if it was converted to a hotel that is).

Has Old John been mentioned?

old-john-large.jpg

:crylaugh: seems it must just be inbuilt... the page from bbc is great thanks... "it now has the highest walls in the country" Leicester leading the way yet again :)

I believe that 'Arnold Lodge', a medium secure psychiatric hospital has been built on the grounds of 'The Towers'. What the NHS will do with that building I don't know, can't see no one wanting to stay there though (if it was converted to a hotel that is).

Has Old John been mentioned?

old-john-large.jpg

Wow how cool, where is this?

• 3 months later...

So glad to see my photos on here, it's exactly the reason I put them up on flickr. 've spent the last ten years trying to persuade people that there is a lot of buildings in Leicester worth seeing, old and new. And to have thread that hasn't descended into insults (see every Leicester Mercury article on buildings ever) is fantastic. There's a lot more out there. You take these photos you put them up and you tend to think no-one notices, but it's great when someone does. So thanks for cheering me up on a dull day. :thumbup:

So glad to see my photos on here, it's exactly the reason I put them up on flickr. 've spent the last ten years trying to persuade people that there is a lot of buildings in Leicester worth seeing, old and new. And to have thread that hasn't descended into insults (see every Leicester Mercury article on buildings ever) is fantastic. There's a lot more out there. You take these photos you put them up and you tend to think no-one notices, but it's great when someone does. So thanks for cheering me up on a dull day. :thumbup:

cheers mr trifle , or may we call you ned ?

some great pics there , i did put link to your web at post 60 in this thread :thumbup:

i started this thread as an antidote to the amount of badly designed buildings being thrust upon the city, and the recklessness which the council seems to allow demolition.

leicester has a lot of buildings to be proud of and it is important for people to learn that many of them are under threat - the council does so much behind our backs and it will be easier to prevent this if people realise what treasurers there are to protect :)

i started this thread as an antidote to the amount of badly designed buildings being thrust upon the city, and the recklessness which the council seems to allow demolition.

leicester has a lot of buildings to be proud of and it is important for people to learn that many of them are under threat - the council does so much behind our backs and it will be easier to prevent this if people realise what treasurers there are to protect :)

You mean like this Val :(

DSCN0469_b.jpg

The old Great Central Railway Station.

I was in my late 20s before I realised we had a 2nd Railway Station!

Actually quite getting into this...

This building is not only great Art Deco styling, but holds a lot of fond memories for me.

athena2_470_470x352.jpg

Don't think I've seen the Guildhall yet, so...

guildhall2_470_470x352.jpg

I'm tempted to get my camera out and go round town tomorrow when it's quiet to a few choice locations I can think of.

The council can't be blamed for the state of the old Great Central railway station, it was closed over their heads and it now belongs to a private company. I (rather controversially) believe that recent councils has done more for preservation that any previous council (even allowing for the demolition of the Bowstring bridge), often against enormous commercial pressures. And remember more buildings were lost to the Georgian and Victorian remodelling of the city than have been lost on the last forty years. It's a really, really complicated area which I am currently writing an article about so I won't hijack the thread with my mad ramblings now...

Here's another couple of buildings I really like instead.

3924446150_ddc44a1342.jpg

1216101052_aece076e07.jpg

Anyone got a decent pic of the Secular Hall? Helluva a difficult building to get a decent shot of.

The council can't be blamed for the state of the old Great Central railway station, it was closed over their heads and it now belongs to a private company. I (rather controversially) believe that recent councils has done more for preservation that any previous council (even allowing for the demolition of the Bowstring bridge), often against enormous commercial pressures. And remember more buildings were lost to the Georgian and Victorian remodelling of the city than have been lost on the last forty years. It's a really, really complicated area which I am currently writing an article about so I won't hijack the thread with my mad ramblings now...

ah, but that kind of emphasises the real issue at the moment and certainly of the last 20-30 years, which is not so much that there have been casualties, but more what has stepped in to replace what is demolished.

the remodelling of a century ago left us with great buildings by exciting architects, whereas now the stuff that goes up is so out of date compared to what is happening elsewhere in britain and around the world. yes, other cities are bad, too, but this is our town, so we have to do what we can.

you only have to look thru this thread to see the complete absence of anything constructed in the last fifteen years -

oh, and please let us hear your mad ramblings, seeing as you are providing a lot of the images.

Leicester Secular Society

THE FIRST SECULAR SOCIETY IN THE WORLD — FORMED 1851!!! whoopee , another city first :scarf:

Dawkins would be so proud of us

000_0146b.jpg

Leicester Secular Society my arse! That's a coach company's ticket office if I remember correctly! Humberstone Gate right?

Or are you saying that Leicester Secular Society meet in a Ford Mondeo? :unsure:

Leicester Secular Society my arse! That's a coach company's ticket office if I remember correctly! Humberstone Gate right?

Or are you saying that Leicester Secular Society meet in a Ford Mondeo? :unsure:

could be the mondeo or the trees :D

i think they meant the building was originally the sec hall , it used to be a dance school upstairs at on stage i think

http://www.leicestersecularsociety.org.uk/

Archived