Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lillehamring

The Great Buildings of Leicester Thread

some more good pics Trav :thumbup:

i wonder if that library becomes a fookin oven in the summer , no doubt it will be air conned , but the light alone would give me the screaming ab dabs

It's kinda like this place, but on a much, much, MUCH smaller scale!

8642-004-68AEC7EC.jpg

PS, never go there (pompidou centre that is) it's crap!

It's kinda like this place, but on a much, much, MUCH smaller scale!

8642-004-68AEC7EC.jpg

PS, never go there (pompidou centre that is) it's crap!

cheers , and i don't think i'll bother ( not much of a culture vulture these days anyway )

A British architect is to blame for that oversized water-park flume themed building

I was in my late 20s before I realised we had a 2nd Railway Station!

Make that three; I can remember the old Great Northern Railway terminus before they knocked it down to become Sainsburys on Belgrave Rd. I would just like to add, I don't remember the station being in operation, just being there.

University of Leicester Library.

n10731483343_650059_1770.jpg

definitely the nicest looking building to go up in recent memory, still not very adventurous but at least it looks good and isn't just an 80s brick box.

definitely the nicest looking building to go up in recent memory, still not very adventurous but at least it looks good and isn't just an 80s brick box.

it's just a fookin greenhouse :dunno:

probably full of vegetables too :)

http://www.paulsmithonline.co.uk/leicester Good website, some good pics. Shame that there are not more of the cattle market. Great memories of that as a kid, watching cows get auctioned off in almost some form of ampitheatre was great life experience...

Check out the city picture too...

http://www.paulsmithonline.co.uk/leicester...-smith0185.html

• 4 months later...

1712121.jpg The Silver Arcade

Building work has finally begun on the Silver Arcade – more than a decade since it closed.

Developers started work two weeks ago installing lifts and toilets to the grade II-listed building, which is expected to open for summer 2012.

They hope to restore the four-storey Victorian shopping arcade to its former glory in a £3 million scheme.

It will feature small independent shops and boutique stores.

Caroline Simpson-Watkinson, director of Harborough London Ltd, agent for the owner Lukegate Ltd, said: "Work began just a couple of weeks ago. It is going to take some time to complete.

"Because of its historical importance, everything must be replaced or repaired in an authentic way.

"It's not easy to get stuff made the exact same as the originals but it is going to look completely authentic when it's done."

Silver Arcade, in Silver Street, was once home to 64 small independent retailers, but the upper floors of the building were closed and shop fronts boarded up in 2000, despite a petition signed by almost 1,000 people.

The revamp includes the creation of a restaurant and bar on the top floor, a demonstration kitchen in the basement and space for different sized shops on the ground, first and second floors.

Traders once based in the arcade were overjoyed at the news.

Peter Turner, owner of Well Gosh clothes shop, in High Street, said: "We were evicted about 12 years ago and ever since I've thought the Silver Arcade had the potential to be the jewel in Leicester's crown.

"I am really happy to hear it's going to be up and running again soon. It's about time.

"I hope to see it filled with quirky little start-up businesses."

Retro clothes shop Wardrobe, now in Royal Arcade, used to be on an upper floor of Silver Arcade.

Shop assistant Sophie Garram said: "The staff and our customers always talk about it so it's amazing to hear it's going to be used again."

Stage two of the refurbishment, due to begin in a few months, involves the installation of customer lifts and the opening of shop units.

In about 12 months, restoration of shop fronts and metal balustrades will begin.

City centre director Sarah Harrison, said: "This is great news for Leicester.

"Silver Arcade has always been in the hearts of the people of Leicester and it's fantastic to hear it's going to be used again."

Paul Towey, 26, an employment adviser from the West End, said: "I've heard from friends that it used to be great so I'm really happy to know it's going to be open again.

"I'd like to see some record shops, cafes and vintage clothes shops in there."

Susan Knox, 53, from Evington, said: "I shop around there so I think it would be great.

"Of course, it's all going to be money dependent, but I think artists' workshops would be good in the arcade."

Developers have not yet begun the search for potential businesses to fill Silver Arcade units.

Anyone interested should call Caroline Simpson-Watkinson, director of Harborough London Ltd on 07834035601.

1712121.jpg The Silver Arcade

Building work has finally begun on the Silver Arcade – more than a decade since it closed.

Developers started work two weeks ago installing lifts and toilets to the grade II-listed building, which is expected to open for summer 2012.

They hope to restore the four-storey Victorian shopping arcade to its former glory in a £3 million scheme.

It will feature small independent shops and boutique stores.

Caroline Simpson-Watkinson, director of Harborough London Ltd, agent for the owner Lukegate Ltd, said: "Work began just a couple of weeks ago. It is going to take some time to complete.

"Because of its historical importance, everything must be replaced or repaired in an authentic way.

"It's not easy to get stuff made the exact same as the originals but it is going to look completely authentic when it's done."

Silver Arcade, in Silver Street, was once home to 64 small independent retailers, but the upper floors of the building were closed and shop fronts boarded up in 2000, despite a petition signed by almost 1,000 people.

The revamp includes the creation of a restaurant and bar on the top floor, a demonstration kitchen in the basement and space for different sized shops on the ground, first and second floors.

Traders once based in the arcade were overjoyed at the news.

Peter Turner, owner of Well Gosh clothes shop, in High Street, said: "We were evicted about 12 years ago and ever since I've thought the Silver Arcade had the potential to be the jewel in Leicester's crown.

"I am really happy to hear it's going to be up and running again soon. It's about time.

"I hope to see it filled with quirky little start-up businesses."

Retro clothes shop Wardrobe, now in Royal Arcade, used to be on an upper floor of Silver Arcade.

Shop assistant Sophie Garram said: "The staff and our customers always talk about it so it's amazing to hear it's going to be used again."

Stage two of the refurbishment, due to begin in a few months, involves the installation of customer lifts and the opening of shop units.

In about 12 months, restoration of shop fronts and metal balustrades will begin.

City centre director Sarah Harrison, said: "This is great news for Leicester.

"Silver Arcade has always been in the hearts of the people of Leicester and it's fantastic to hear it's going to be used again."

Paul Towey, 26, an employment adviser from the West End, said: "I've heard from friends that it used to be great so I'm really happy to know it's going to be open again.

"I'd like to see some record shops, cafes and vintage clothes shops in there."

Susan Knox, 53, from Evington, said: "I shop around there so I think it would be great.

"Of course, it's all going to be money dependent, but I think artists' workshops would be good in the arcade."

Developers have not yet begun the search for potential businesses to fill Silver Arcade units.

Anyone interested should call Caroline Simpson-Watkinson, director of Harborough London Ltd on 07834035601.

And about time

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

thanks for posting this thread.

Constantly amazed how many people moan about Leicester, the truth is that among the horrible 60/70s dross (Southgates underpass, New Wak Centre, Lee Circle CAr Park, Cardinal Telephone Exchange come to mind) there are actually some stunning buildings.

Not just in the old quarter around the Cathedral, although New Street looks like it has been plucked straight from York or Winchester, but in the City Centre, which still keeps one of Britain's best Victoriam/Edwardian cityscapes

• 2 months later...

Twenty one things you might not know about the buildings of Leicester
By Leicester Mercury | Posted: October 25, 2014

Clock tower: Oldest traffic island in Britain?

7320947-large.jpg
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276308/Article/images/23492458/7320947-large.jpg

Comments (0)
Leicester is a vibrant modern city with many new shopping malls.

But it also has a rich architectural history which contains a wealth of interesting stories.

Here we outline, with the help of the City Council, 21 things you might not have known about some local landmarks. Perhaps you know some other secrets too.

1, The Clock Tower. Do know the names of the figures on its exterior? They are Simon De Montfort, William Wigston, Sir Thomas White and Alderman Newton. All benefactors of the city and the monument is a memorial to them. It is also thought to have been the first traffic island in Britain.

2, Turkey Café, Granby St. Why Turkey? Is after the bird or country? A ladies orchestra used to perform there regularly. Recently it has opened as a café bar again.

3, Coronation Buildings, High Street. If you walk past look up. It marks the coronation of Edward VII in 1902 and emphasised ties to the Victorian Empire in its decoration. Africa is represented by an ostrich, Australia , a kangaroo, Burma, an elephant. It used to be the Midlands head office of Singer sewing machines.

4, Municipal Library – built to reflect the growing number of people in Leicester able to read and write by 1905.

5, Women’s Social & Political Union Shop. The shop on Bowling Green Street sold Votes for Women merchandise and propaganda to raise funds for suffragettes and was a base for the local branch of the WSPU. Women locked themselves up here to avoid being counted in the 1911 census in protest at not getting the vote.

One of most prominent members was Alice Hawkins, a shoe machinist at the Equity co-operative shoe factory on Western Road.

6, Assembly Rooms. They were intended to be Leicester’s first hotel, which is how Hotel Street got its name. People don’t normally see the interior but it contains a ballroom that runs the length of the first floor.

7, New Walk: Thousands of students walk up and down every day – rare example of a Georgian promenade to connect Welford Place with racecourse. Described in 1840 as the “only solely respectable street in Leicester.” Said to follow the line of a Roman trackway Via Devana. St Stephen’s Church (De Montfort Street corner) was originally moved from London Road. The Town Museum was one of the first council run museums in the country. Thomas Cook’s son donated specimens from his travels.

8, London Road: Freemason’s Hall (museum has one of finest collections of masonic books outside London and one of finest Lodge Rooms in country). At Top Hat Terrace, Francis “Tanky” Smith, said to be the inspiration for the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes, is pictured in his disguises on the exterior of the building.

9, Jubilee Square: High Cross was a shelter for market traders now only one pillar remains.

10, Roman Leicester: Forum & Basilica – Jubilee Square lies at the administrative and commercial heart of Roman Leicester. (Forum – a market place & for gatherings. Basilica – administrative and judicial centre). Jewry Wall is one of the largest pieces of Roman masonry still standing in Britain.

11, The Cultural Quarter: Pfister & Vogel Warehouse has a beautiful exterior which was originally built as a leather warehouse. Shows the confidence an American company showed in Leicester’s footwear industry. Alexandra House – a bootlace warehouse – one of the finest warehouses in the country.

12, Silver Arcade:Victorian shopping arcade very unusual in that it has 4 storeys.

13, Corn Exchange: Why is it called the Corn Exchange? -place for dealing in grain to meet demand for food created by expanding urban population. Stage for some great civic events.

14, Thomas Cook Building: Lots of places have a connection to Thomas Cook . In Gallowtree Gate, it was commissioned by his son John Mason Cook. Ground floor had excursion, tourist and shipping offices as well as foreign banking departments.

15, Town Hall: Guildhall used to be used at the town hall until mid 19th century. Used to house 30 lamplighters Borough Police and a Fire Brigade.

16, Great meeting Unitarian Chapel: Provided Leicester with many of its leading thinkers and the first seven of its Mayors after 1835.

17, Secular Hall: Is the world’s oldest secular society. Advanced thinkers of the day spoke there including William Morris and George Bernard Shaw.

18 East Gates Coffee House – now Cruise Clothing: It has links to Thomas Cook. He set up coffee houses to encourage people to give up drinking alcohol. Some of the other coffee houses are now restaurants (Victoria Coffee House on Granby Street) and pubs (HighCross pub was the High Cross Coffee House).

19 Free Grammar School: Why is Grammar School Court in Highcross so called? It is one of the oldest schoolhouses in England.

20 The Guildhall: Near the cathedral, it is a Grade I listed timber framed building, with the earliest part dating from around 1390. The Guildhall once acted as the town hall for the city until the current one was commissioned in 1876.

21 Magazine: The Magazine Gateway is at the western end of Newarke Street. The building, built around 1410, is a medieval gateway added to Leicester Castle by the Third Earl of Leicester. It is a Grade I Listed Building, and is not within a Conservation Area. It is officially included within the Leicester Castle monument.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/things-know-buildings-Leicester/story-23492458-detail/story.html#ixzz3H9DGCYbF
Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook
Read more at http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/things-know-buildings-Leicester/story-23492458-detail/story.html#WiqqKehafjrvZVSG.99

Archived