Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lillehamring

The Great Buildings of Leicester Thread

You must have gone when it was new and modern then, I went in the 90's when it was 20+ years old and feeling very tired. True it's a brave design, and better than some of the crap that goes up now days, but still, it's hideous. The Scottish Parliment is a brave design, it's still uglier than Gary McSheffrey.

'84 to '90, maybe we ruined it for you ;)

one of the many art Deco style bus shelters that were scattered around Leicester

these were so appealing that people used to let buses pass by and wait for the next one so they could linger a little longer in these places

420965084_1339e3945f.jpg

i waited at this one on western boulevard for 2 days and never once did a bus come by ,, but it was worth it anyway :)

420965067_f3096a8e0e.jpg

one of the many art Deco style bus shelters that were scattered around Leicester

these were so appealing that people used to let buses pass by and wait for the next one so they could linger a little longer in these places

420965084_1339e3945f.jpg

i waited at this one on western boulevard for 2 days and never once did a bus come by ,, but it was worth it anyway :)

420965067_f3096a8e0e.jpg

The bench in the top pic (bottom left corner). Got some good memories of that bench.

Smoked a fat spliff with Unit in Year 11 on Western Park and sat on that bench having a paranoia attack.

Good times.

aren't they tram stops :dunno:

.....also, i believe the building on the right (below) is also designed by goddard?

20060827_DSC_1836.jpg

valerenga,

yes they probably were originally tram stops but they doubled up as bus stops later but i cant found out if trams ever went down western boulevard

( there is some connection to robert rowley )perhaps he donated them to the city

rowleyI.jpg

some other good stuff here

158773815_d8097c941f_m.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nedtrifle/set...57594088636270/

by someone called ned trifle :thumbup:

edit , forgot to put the jain temple pic in

P6175207.jpg

valerenga,

yes they probably were originally tram stops but they doubled up as bus stops later but i cant found out if trams ever went down western boulevard

( there is some connection to robert rowley )perhaps he donated them to the city

rowleyI.jpg

where is this building? is it still there?

....i have always loved this church, i seem to remember going to a wedding there as a nipper (is this right, davieG?)

153033955_ca60fb450e.jpg

....i have always loved this church, i seem to remember going to a wedding there as a nipper (is this right, davieG?)

153033955_ca60fb450e.jpg

I don't remember but according to MrsG you were about 5 and it was one of my mates from work.

153033955_ca60fb450e.jpg

is it the one in rushey mead?

edit. no it's not. just wondered as my bands were read in the rushey mead one.

edit ; this thread is a lot better than i thought it would be :) the city has many treasures yet

3678068997_7bf114a206.jpg

:rolleyes: you're welcome, i hope this compensates for my moaning elsewhere :giggle:

anyway, can anybody post some pictures of great modern buildings? or is this thread proving more points than intended...

personally, i've always had a soft spot for the council offices, i think it was the last (only) really decent looking modern building leicester built, i used to live right across from it on welford place,

sadly like so many buildings in leicester it hasn't really been looked after very well.

here is a pic that shows why it is good to mix old and new:

312589_1acca450.jpg

credit: tim hallam

Archived