Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lillehamring

The Great Buildings of Leicester Thread

of course you are quite right and an awful lot of buildings really do need to go , but there does need to be opposition to councils who perhaps are not aware of historical significances sometimes , just to keep them from throwing the baby out with the bathwater

and it gives us old twats summat to moan about :D

Haha fair point. We all like a moan.

But if you moan about everything, the council will just think you're moaning for moanings sake. You need to pick and choose the fights. Otherwise they just think "oh f*** off you bunch of meddle twats. You just disagree with everything we do." And will probably knock it down anyway just to show who boss, we all know how stupid this council is, wouldn't put that past them. Many old historic buildings in Leicester are worth saving, the Clock Tower, the buildings above Foot Locker and JD Sport along with others around that area. Obviously the churches, catherdral, the guildhall etc and many more. But Lee Circle even if it was one or the first car park of it's time, sorry it's ugly, useless and in the way, not sure what of, but in the way. If it's really that significant demolish it carefully and move it to the Transport Museum in Coventry, they can live with the eyesore.

yes i remember going into there when it opened

did you ever go in that little cafe ? i think it was called Poles cafe or something, and i think swiss cottage was over the road ,

No I don't remember that but what I do remember; was working there the night before the Beatles tickets for the Demont went on sale.

I think the box office was in a building on Charles Street near Halford Street, the queue had stretched from there all the way back to Lee circle; incredible sight considering it wouldn't be open for 10 hours or so. How the end of the line ended up there I couldn't say, probably the police deciding to keep it off the main streets.

Sorry for turning this into an "All Our Yesterdays" thread.

Haha fair point. We all like a moan.

But if you moan about everything, the council will just think you're moaning for moanings sake. You need to pick and choose the fights. Otherwise they just think "oh f*** off you bunch of meddle twats. You just disagree with everything we do." And will probably knock it down anyway just to show who boss, we all know how stupid this council is, wouldn't put that past them. Many old historic buildings in Leicester are worth saving, the Clock Tower, the buildings above Foot Locker and JD Sport along with others around that area. Obviously the churches, catherdral, the guildhall etc and many more. But Lee Circle even if it was one or the first car park of it's time, sorry it's ugly, useless and in the way, not sure what of, but in the way. If it's really that significant demolish it carefully and move it to the Transport Museum in Coventry, they can live with the eyesore.

like the bowstring bridge, is it ugly because it's badly designed or just badly maintained... the buildings you mention above foot locker and JD could easily have been lost when they bulldozed gallowtree gate and belgrave gate, because at the time old buildings were considered ugly, useless and in the way, now they are treasures.

and as for useless, i can't even begin to see how that could be levelled against it.

and 'in the way', well, the chances are the only thing that would replace it is another carpark or some crappy flats that would look like every other urban development that goes up these days, that would benefit a relatively small number of people...

ahh, i was thinking of that one yesterday, when i drove near it. although i have to say when they redeveloped that part of town, i'd never even noticed the lewis' tower until it was saved.

kinda hard to miss!

cc47_1267.jpg

still much better than it's replacement, shame they didn't have the vision to save the whole facade.

i remember this building very fondly, especially the wooden escaltor....

cc47_1275.jpg

...although i'm too young to remember it looking like this:

cc47_1269.jpg

EastgatescoffeHouse1885.jpg

3350116298_54c40e44f0.jpg

Picture attributable to Ned Trifle

Burgess' Eastgates Coffee House this building was opened in 1885. From the recent picture below, it looks like it needs some tlc, the curved glass really stands out in the old picture.

When I was 14-16 I had a Saturday job at Brees Records which was originally located next door in Churchgate.

Ok I really will stop talking about my youth, unless we do a Birstall thread, so be warned ;)

EastgatescoffeHouse1885.jpg

Burgess' Eastgates Coffee House this building was opened in 1885. From the recent picture below, it looks like it needs some tlc, the curved glass really stands out in the old picture.

When I was 14-16 I had a Saturday job at Brees Records which was originally located next door in Churchgate.

Ok I really will stop talking about my youth, unless we do a Birstall thread, so be warned ;)

Sorry to be negative again but if you look up at this building instead of just window shopping you'll see that it is in a very bad condition.

there's a shop not far from that one on the corner, which was thomas cook's first shop, it has a lovely freeze on it. can't find a picture of it.

did anyone here watch 'look up to leicester' on cable 7 on diamond cable, back in the olden days?

Sorry to be negative again but if you look up at this building instead of just window shopping you'll see that it is in a very bad condition.

The timber fascia to which I think you are referring seems to be original since the ornate detailing is still there. The fascia on the Churchgate side looks like marquetry.

I didn't know until recently that Gate is a Danish word for 'way' so Church Gate would have been the way to the church. "Gates" on the other hand is where the original city wall gates were. There are four Gates in Leicester, N,S,E,W

there's a shop not far from that one on the corner, which was thomas cook's first shop, it has a lovely freeze on it. can't find a picture of it.

did anyone here watch 'look up to leicester' on cable 7 on diamond cable, back in the olden days?

4036347793_c6341131ab_b.jpg

Attribution to Fiery Fred

4036347793_c6341131ab_b.jpg

Attribution to Fiery Fred

that's the fellow. there are so many gems that go unseen because they're way above eye level, plus if you wander round town, looking up, these days you'll just end up getting lamped.

just noticed that was built 50 years after my house was, bloody modern monstrosities!

i posted it right at the start as it was done by Goddard :thumbup:

...and re: 'gate', yes, true, but i believe it is actually from the roman language... so it goes even further back...

What a fabulous topic, thanks Val et al

i took in many of these sights on our visit in October... but i dont think ive seen anyone post a pic of the gaol?.. really thought it was quite a lovely building :) Obviously from outside only, although im sure a few of our more "adventurous" members could post some inside pics too.

What a fabulous topic, thanks Val et al

i took in many of these sights on our visit in October... but i dont think ive seen anyone post a pic of the gaol?.. really thought it was quite a lovely building :) Obviously from outside only, although im sure a few of our more "adventurous" members could post some inside pics too.

you ozzies and your gaols :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/around_leic...uiz_links.shtml

a nice little collection of work by edward burgess here also by the excelent Mr trifle...

many that people will no doubt recognise....

Is anyone here into UE (Urban Exploration)?

If so, check out this site - http://www.28dayslater.co.uk

Urban (often illegal, but harmless) exploartion of abandoned asylums, underground networks, hospitals, military sites.

I can only find one site in Leicester (below - The Towers).

Does anyone know of any other sites like this in Leicester? If there are a few then could be worth a thread...

DSC_0005.jpg

Is anyone here into UE (Urban Exploration)?

If so, check out this site - http://www.28dayslater.co.uk

Urban (often illegal, but harmless) exploartion of abandoned asylums, underground networks, hospitals, military sites.

I can only find one site in Leicester (below - The Towers).

Does anyone know of any other sites like this in Leicester? If there are a few then could be worth a thread...

DSC_0005.jpg

never heard of it, but i can't believe that building hasn't 'mysteriously' burnt down.... it's very very nice.

mere mention of the "Towers " or the "Happy Hours " as it was known locally used to spread fear into some older residents .

i remember someone escaping one night and the whole area around gipsy lane/victoria road east was saturated with police

never heard of it, but i can't believe that building hasn't 'mysteriously' burnt down.... it's very very nice.

There was some talk of turning the Towers into a hotel when it first closed down. I can't believe it's not being used for something.

Archived