Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lillehamring

The Great Buildings of Leicester Thread

county hall has grown on me :)

386159_5ee9f7b3.jpg

i was just going to post this :D

1229155_d40c868d.jpg

i think this part of the building is easily the redeeming feature, there are very few buildings in leicester from that period that decently refelect the architecture of the time...

I think that buildings hideous, have always hated it. Its as bad as the Scottish Parliament building lol:unsure:

I like it because for a new building at least it's different and hasn't got a curved tin roof :rolleyes: . The other great thing about it is that it's designed to be self heating/cooling using the body heat of people in the building recycled to warm the place up and designed such that the air flows naturally around the inside - well that's how I remember being told it worked.

I like it because for a new building at least it's different and hasn't got a curved tin roof :rolleyes: . The other great thing about it is that it's designed to be self heating/cooling using the body heat of people in the building recycled to warm the place up and designed such that the air flows naturally around the inside - well that's how I remember being told it worked.

yeah fair comments.. then, just not to my taste lol

charles street has some of leicester's best buildings, and isn't reallly made the most of...

i used to work in this building, most of the inside is modern but the stair and foyer are still period:

464007997_41c16f7b28.jpg

and thank good they saved this one, but shame they didn't take up davieG's idea of it being the 'gateway' into the cultural quarter.... another missed opportunity by LCC

3402967794_613b180d7b.jpg

I think its the horrible redness of it that offends me more than the style to be honest.

Perhaps they were trying to fool people they were one of the established Red brick science or engineering universities and not a jumped up polytechnic :P

i'll post this one in here for the clock tower, but it's hard to imagine how this view got turned into the ugliest road in leicester

leicester_L144005.jpg

still a few remnants in this view, but again, it's a shame that we have lost some of these buildings but criminal how poor the replacements have been, like the feeble northern rock building...

L144014.jpg

not one of most people's favourite, but it did look quite impressive when it was new - tesco metro, anyone?

leicester_L144087.jpg

another from Charles Street - the very excellent Willie Thorne building

leicester_L144044.jpg

not one of most people's favourite, but it did look quite impressive when it was new - tesco metro, anyone?

leicester_L144087.jpg

another from Charles Street - the very excellent Willie Thorne building

Ground breaking building that, first multi-story of it's kind, the largest single floor bowling alley, 36 lanes in the country at that time around the back. You used to have to queue up to get in even at mid-night, with all the latest music being played it really was the place to go when the everything else in the city closed down for the night.

I seem to remember there was something special about Tescos - the biggest/first outside London :dunno:

Ground breaking building that, first multi-story of it's kind, the largest single floor bowling alley, 36 lanes in the country at that time around the back. You used to have to queue up to get in even at mid-night, with all the latest music being played it really was the place to go when the everything else in the city closed down for the night.

I seem to remember there was something special about Tescos - the biggest/first outside London :dunno:

That brings back memories, I used to work there every Fri Sat & Sun between 10pm and 1am pumping petrol as a second job.

That brings back memories, I used to work there every Fri Sat & Sun between 10pm and 1am pumping petrol as a second job.

Being lined up for demolition I believe.

Councillor Patrick Kitterick again - http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news...il/article.html

yes i remember going into there when it opened

did you ever go in that little cafe ? i think it was called Poles cafe or something, and i think swiss cottage was over the road ,

i seem to remember a little kiosk/shop just inside the double door entrance to the lifts as well , but it soon began to smell of piss :D

CORAH 'S

corah03.jpg

corah_margaret.jpg

not so much fond memories of the building , but the memory of all those girls pouring out around 5 pm was a fantastic sight from st maggies bus station :P

I often used to miss my L29 to new parks

Being lined up for demolition I believe.

Councillor Patrick Kitterick again - http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news...il/article.html

makes sense, seeing as they hate cars going into the city centre so much they built, or allowed to be built, a massive car park for the shires

yes i remember going into there when it opened

did you ever go in that little cafe ? i think it was called Poles cafe or something, and i think swiss cottage was over the road ,

i seem to remember a little kiosk/shop just inside the double door entrance to the lifts as well , but it soon began to smell of piss :D

my mates mum worked there, but it closed down only to be re-opened as 'miss cottage'

makes sense, seeing as they hate cars going into the city centre so much they built, or allowed to be built, a massive car park for the shires

Except one of the options is to replace it with a car park, besides they'll never stop people driving in unless they legally ban cars. The car park at the Shires/Highcross replaced another multi-story so it hasn't really provided many extra spaces.

my mates mum worked there, but it closed down only to be re-opened as 'miss cottage'

ha, i remeber that, they just turned the 'w' upside down!

Council bosses say it could be replaced with a new building or another car park.

He said: "It's no secret that my long-term ambition would be to see the Lee Circle car park either removed or redeveloped. It is a blight on the landscape in the St George's area.

lunacy to pull it down just to build another one, and i imagine 'redevelop' means 'paint blue'....

it's no beauty, but it's a landmark and it's heritage, and at least it serves a purpose - if they want to address 'eyesores' in st georges, i think you could easily find half a dozen blocks of run down crap that should go first, specifically, the international hotel...

if were talking about demolishing eyesore multi stories, a much better candidate would have been the one next to the curve, then they could have had the option to build an even better version of the theatre.... at that carpark really is an eyesore!

(davieG, wouldn't this be better in the 'another piece of leicester's heritage' thread?)

I'm not being funny, I know some of you have memories of Lee Circle Car Park, but come on, it's horrible. I'm all for saving historic buildings, the bow string bridge etc but does really come under the same category. It does nothing but hold that part of the city back, make visitors reel in disgust and overshadow the area. Just think what could be done there? Is there really any need for a car park that size in that part of the city? I swear some of you would save a pile of horse manure if it had been in the city many years. Some historical things are worth saving, sorry Lee Circle isn't one.

ha, i remeber that, they just turned the 'w' upside down!

lunacy to pull it down just to build another one, and i imagine 'redevelop' means 'paint blue'....

it's no beauty, but it's a landmark and it's heritage, and at least it serves a purpose - if they want to address 'eyesores' in st georges, i think you could easily find half a dozen blocks of run down crap that should go first, specifically, the international hotel...

if were talking about demolishing eyesore multi stories, a much better candidate would have been the one next to the curve, then they could have had the option to build an even better version of the theatre.... at that carpark really is an eyesore!

(davieG, wouldn't this be better in the 'another piece of leicester's heritage' thread?)

Probably but the car park was posted as a 'Great Building' post besides with the recession it'll be years before it gets on the agenda again - unless DMU want the space. :whistle:

I'm not being funny, I know some of you have memories of Lee Circle Car Park, but come on, it's horrible. I'm all for saving historic buildings, the bow string bridge etc but does really come under the same category. It does nothing but hold that part of the city back, make visitors reel in disgust and overshadow the area. Just think what could be done there? Is there really any need for a car park that size in that part of the city? I swear some of you would save a pile of horse manure if it had been in the city many years. Some historical things are worth saving, sorry Lee Circle isn't one.

of course you are quite right and an awful lot of buildings really do need to go , but there does need to be opposition to councils who perhaps are not aware of historical significances sometimes , just to keep them from throwing the baby out with the bathwater

and it gives us old twats summat to moan about :D

it's very easy to dismiss something as unimportant or not worth saving because it is in a bad condition, the issue here is about the crazy plans to pull it down just to build a like for like replacement, a few leaks and some chipped concrete (archtiectural, soical and historical importance aside) is no reason to pull down perfectly functional building, it really wouldn't take much to clad this and make it look super modern - architecturally it is still very modern, with really great lines - it's just a bit shabby - have you any idea how much it would cost to demolish and rebuild a structure of this size?

(see davieG, i told you you should have moved it...lets keep this thread for celebration)

Archived