Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cat Burger

The Strokes - Angles

I think the album as a whole will grow on me in the same way First Impressions of Earth did, already some stand out tracks on there in my opinion though.

As well as Under Cover of Darkness being an absolute monster, Two Kinds of Happiness is as good as anything they've ever put out. Worth the wait for me.

I think it's excellent, I just like it for what it is. I don't care if they recorded seperately and one of the band members wasn't there for the first part of it.

The whole criticism of the album from the media has basically been a criticism of the hype which surrounded them from Day 1. It's just typical of a lot of journalism atm where something can not be viewed or listened to subjectively. Everyone sort of expected the next This Is It appears.

It's like The Vaccines' debut, standard enough effort, it's not original, it's not life-changing but everyone has their daggers out because they've been hyped. They've admitted that the whole album was completed quicker than it should have been because they couldn't afford to risk not making the most of attention and the lead been honest enough to admit that he was more bothered about doing something he was happy regardless of who it sounded like (let's not forget how the Jam started).

They'll be out for Arctic Monkeys next but Turner keeps pulling a fast 'un there, he's ahead of the game.

That's my rant of the day.

There was only one way reviews of this album could have gone, and that was down. As Cardiff says, they've been over-hyped since day one and it'll be on their backs forever. But that's essentially a testament to how good they really are, and I don't see why anybody would change that opinion after hearing this.

Under Cover of Darkness is incredibly catchy, along with all of Macchu Pichu, Taken For a Fool and Two Kinds of Happiness. It's not their best work by any means but it's certainly not a disappointment in my book. Can't wait to see them at Benicassim in the summer.

Oh, and a quick word on that Vaccines album - I really like it. When I first heard Zane Lowe blithering about them I was underwhelmed to say the least, but they've grown on me immensely ever since. But, like The Strokes, they will forever have this hype on their backs, especially in today's remote guitar band world.

Radio 1 have been playing a lot of this (well, Under Cover of Darkness anyway). Still need to hear the whole album but from the tracks I've already heard I've found myself turning the radio up all the time.

Wish I was going Reading/Leeds to see these (amongst others)!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived