Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

Cheap train tickets

www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk to buy in advance. Railcard is a way for 16-25 (Or Full time students) to get 1/3 off the price of almost all train tickets by paying £24 a year. There doesn't tend to be football specials any more, except places like Derby or Nottingham when they want to clear as many people off as possible locally.

For Norwich; think you're looking at around £30 for an Adult, £20 if you have a railcard... and around £15 if you're under 16....

don't really use trains much.... anyone know the likelihood of me getting away with an under 16s ticket? Do they check tickets a lot (assuming the train will have a lot of football fans), and if they do, how can they prove I'm over 16?

Really the only way to get a decent deal with train tickets is to spend a good hour or so trying out all combinations, searching for special offers, etc. And even then you'll find that for many journeys prices are still very high.

Oh and if you're aged between 16-25 or a full-time student and you make more than 4 or 5 train journeys a year then it would be idiotic not to buy a railcard. Very simple to do online, or using a form you can print off or pick up at any train station.

Right this is from Leicester with a 16-25 railcard

0815 from Leics to P'boro arriving at 09.16 - £4.30

0943 from P'boro to Norwich arriving at 11.15 - £2.65

1857 from Norwich to P'boro arriving at 20.25 - £2.65

2052 from P'boro to Leics arriving at 21.47 - £4.30

Comes up to a pretty sweet £13.90. if you dont want to stay that long in Norwich after the game, the 1754 from Norwich to P'boro is the same price (£2.65), which gets you back to Peterborough for 19.29. You can then get on the 1952 from Peterborough (£4.30) for the same price and you'd get in Leicester at 20.47.

Currently on www.nationalrail.com, the same journey times without a railcard can be done for £21.

Hope this helps people.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but just wanted to ask 'experts' how long cheap train tickets usually last for before they return to normal price.

Just been doing some research and planning ahead for certain games in the early months of the season. I am wanting to do wolves on 15th Sept, and found 2 singles from Blackpool to Wolverhampton at £4.95 each way. But don't want to book them too far in advance in case a) it's moved for TV or B) I don't manage to get a ticket because I imagine it will be quite a popular game.

How long are they likely to stay at this price?

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but just wanted to ask 'experts' how long cheap train tickets usually last for before they return to normal price.

Just been doing some research and planning ahead for certain games in the early months of the season. I am wanting to do wolves on 15th Sept, and found 2 singles from Blackpool to Wolverhampton at £4.95 each way. But don't want to book them too far in advance in case a) it's moved for TV or B) I don't manage to get a ticket because I imagine it will be quite a popular game.

How long are they likely to stay at this price?

It often depends if someone else buys them, they seem to have so many seats available at a given price and when they're sold the price goes up to the next bracket.

To be honest, taking the risk is part of the game. If it does end up that you can't go you've only lost a tenner, if you don't buy the tickets now you might have to pay much more closer to the time.

Archived