Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
21st Century Fox

The Band drummer Levon Helm in final stages of cancer

(Reuters) - Drummer Levon Helm, a longtime member of The Band, is in the final stages of cancer, his family said on Tuesday.

Helm, 71, who also toured with Ringo Starr's All Star band in the 1980s and won a Grammy Award for his 2011 release "Ramble at the Ryman," had canceled a series of recent gigs, raising fears about his health.

A message posted on his official website by his wife Sandy and daughter Amy, said that Helm "is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey."

"Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration... he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage," the message added.

Robbie Robertson, former frontman of The Band, sent a message of "love and prayers" to Helm during a speech at the weekend at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Helm, who also sang vocals and plays guitar and mandolin, played with The Band until their 1976 "The Last Waltz" farewell performance, which was filmed by director Martin Scorsese.

He rejoined The Band when it reunited some years later without Robertson, and then forged a solo career.

Really sad news, an amazing performer, fantastic drummer, singer and actor. The Weight is an astonishingly good song, one of those songs you can't imagine anyone else singing but him.

I'm willing to admit that his part in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada made me well up when I saw it.

Greg Ham a sad loss, a nice guy and writer of some catchy pop. I understand he had some demons and they were compounded after his Flute riff (is that the right term for a flute? :) ) in "Down Under" was found to be a rip off of a classic Aussie folk tune.... Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sad news indeed, what a fantastic group the Band were, first two albums - 'music from the big pink', and 'the band' were my favourites. 'The weight', 'up on cripple creek', 'rag mama rag' and 'rocking chair' all timeless classics.

Rick Danko and Richard Manual died some years ago, so there's only Robbie Robertson and Garth Hudson (is he still alive?) left.

The Last waltz dvd is brilliant, some of the best live performances i have seen, get it if you can, must be cheap now.

Archived