Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oadby Fox

Highlights from the match between Leicester and Burton Albion

Call it what you like but I'm not convinced. Opponents will always score goals if we do daft things like that and, accepting they scored three more than us, I canot remember the clear-cut chances we squandered that would have changed the result even on a good day.

No 1) Unnecessary free kick but we were responsible. Carry on doing that and we'll concede similar goals.

No 2) Allowing the ball to drop in the area when it could have been met and dealt with - schoolboy error and the sort of thing that would see you out of a non-League team. Carry on being so casual and it'll be more goals conceded.

No 3

How the referee made a penalty out of that instead of a free-kick for hands against Burton I don't know but he may have seen something in the melee that we can't. Whatever we didn't deal with the cross - a fatal flaw in any defence.

No 4) this was a cracker but the second goal in two games from a turning inside our right-back and being allowed a free shot. If you don't learn you're always likely to get punished and it's the sort of ploy any team can use against us without being freaky.

I found it possible to sympathise with the Charlton and Blackburn defeats because we played well, created stacks of chances and had one or two important decisions go wrongly against us. Apart from the penalty I saw none of that against Burton. We finished a distant and pathetic second and if there'd been places from one to a hundred we'd have finished last.

Fair play. I 100% agree with that.

Like I say, I think we're devoid of luck but I really don't think we help ourselves.

I actually didn't think Whitbread was that bad excluding the obvious shocking mistake which you can't put down to fitness.

His distribution impressed me.

I'm nowhere near given up on him, he had an off-day but I think SSL was far worse. Whitbread will come good, I'm sure of it.

I've said it before but I seriously do wonder if Schmeichel's over-rated. Maybe it's something I don't notice - but does anyone else not find it slightly co-incidental that he's not been part of a decent back-line since Notts County, and even that was League Two where they had an absolutely outstanding squad.

I wouldn't even think of dropping him, he does make some great saves and he comes across as a decent bloke in interviews, I just wonder if he's not as amazing as everyone seems to think.

I do actually think there has been a massive overreaction to this result, just look at all of the goals, one deflection- unlucky, one mistake- a lack in match practice for Zak caused it- misjudgement by a player, a very dubious penalty, it appeared to hit the Burton players hand- unlucky and an absolute worldy of a goal, completely unstoppable- lucky hit, that's a 1/10 goal that is ten times he get it's horribly wrong, but then he just caught it perfectly. The scoreline made the game sound worse!

From where I was, you could clearly see what gave Burton their penalty - a handball... by a Burton player.

Now, since I've resisted the urge to rant about the performance for so long, here it all comes in one go.

Ref was shit, we were shitter. Knockeart did little besides his goal, Futacs did his job well but nobody was picking up his passes, King was ineffective from the bench, Waggy had a good first half but a shocking second, it was an embarrasing debut for Whitbread, though so was St. Ledger's and he came good in the end (ignoring that match!), Schlupp was decent but disappeared, Gallagher was nothing special but nowhere near the worst player on the pitch, that accolade possibly being reserved for Danns, who looked rusty and gave possesion away practically every time he had the ball. De Laet looked shellshocked from the moment we went behind, and Matty James did absolutely sod all until he set up Futacs for what was, granted, a great finish. Oh, and Konchesky did bog all, as did Nugent, although he may be excused for joining a team 4-1 down with no creativity and 25 minutes to go.

None of this is Pearson's fault. The players listed above should have been capable of much more. Burton are a tidy side with good attacking talent, as we only seemed to realise halfway through the match. Whitbread will have to work his arse off to get into the first team now, given his shoddy performance. The same can be said of all four defenders - and though our full backs will probably keep their place, De Laet needs to get his head screwed on and not let it drop when we concede - which, if I remember, is something Norwich fans warned us about. Perhaps we also need to invest in a conveyer belt on the line to help Konchesky get back from attacking positions quicker.

The guy with most to prove has to be James, who has been average at best and absent at worst. It's a dilemma, as sending a new player out on loan is ridiculous, and I'm sure like Marshall he'll come good after a while, but exept for a good perfomance against Torquay, he has been poor and does not warrant a starting place ahead of the likes of King. A few substitute appearances may bring out the best in him, but then we're left without a Defensive Midfielder (I've come on here in the past saying King is not right for the role.) What do you do with a problem like Matty? :dunno:

In other news, Blackpool's defence on Saturday - get at them with pace, then bring Futacs on to rough them up at the end.

Nugent / Vardy to start, with Nuge giving way to Futacs around an hour / 70 min?

Archived