Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bayfox

Do our players believe the hype?

Now this isn't a slagging of the players or meant as a negative, but I noticed something last night, maybe it has been happening all season, but it really caught my eye last night.

When did our players start

A) Believing the hype

or B) is it the fact we have so many current or ex man utd products in and around the club.

But when did we start, appealing for absolutely everything, The amount of times our back 4 stood with it's hands in the air, when it was clear the linesman was not going to flag was bad enough, but Drinkwater and Nugent seemed to stop and appeal at the slightest touch.

Infact I'd suggest Drinkwater was lucky not to gift them another clear chance on target, as I could see nothing in the tackle where he got robbed for the ball late in the 2nd half.

As I say this isn't aimed at slagging our players, just like to know if anyone else has noticed this creeping more and more into our game.

On a final note, do we practice set pieces? Because if we do, why are we so bad.

What hype are they meant to be believing exactly?

Maybe hype isn't the right word, but they seem to have that air of we have a right to just be able to turn up, play football and beat teams, I don't like this attitude of stopping standing still and expecting a decision to go their way.It's something Man Utd do at old trafford, just expecting refs to give it (ok at old trafford it works) but it's not for us, I would like to see it stamped out I suppose.

Maybe they get it from the fans, especially those in the Kop considering the number of times they think we should have had a corner and go ape at the linesman/ref. How they can tell if it's crossed the goal line or not I've no idea but from where I'm sitting in line with the goal line they are mostly wrong and the linesman is mostly right including last night.

It's embarrassing at how stupid they look singing you don''t know what you're doing when it's them that haven't got a clue.

On a final note, do we practice set pieces? Because if we do, why are we so bad.

Indeed, we must be one of the worst teams in the league at using corners. Not just the delivery (invariably too deep last night - makes a change from hitting the first man I suppose)....the movement of our players in the opposition area is either minimal or predictable.

As for the rest regarding "hype", well someone has to post this great track:

Maybe they get it from the fans, especially those in the Kop considering the number of times they think we should have had a corner and go ape at the linesman/ref. How they can tell if it's crossed the goal line or not I've no idea but from where I'm sitting in line with the goal line they are mostly wrong and the linesman is mostly right including last night.

It's embarrassing at how stupid they look singing you don''t know what you're doing when it's them that haven't got a clue.

Agree with this, noticed it again last night, 9 times out of 10 the ball hasn't crossed the line. The same with this thing on corners, the ball only has to over hang the line yet our fans seem to think it has to be planted inside the quadrant.

Also the set pieces are a worry, yes last night they were over hit, but once upon a time, players lined up on the edge of the area and timed a run into the box, getting a bit of momentum and pace up as they headed the ball, chelsea do this really well with, terry, cahill and ivanovic. Our players are just stood around the 6 yard box like statues.

Agree with this, noticed it again last night, 9 times out of 10 the ball hasn't crossed the line. The same with this thing on corners, the ball only has to over hang the line yet our fans seem to think it has to be planted inside the quadrant.

Also the set pieces are a worry, yes last night they were over hit, but once upon a time, players lined up on the edge of the area and timed a run into the box, getting a bit of momentum and pace up as they headed the ball, chelsea do this really well with, terry, cahill and ivanovic. Our players are just stood around the 6 yard box like statues.

Yep, someone really ought to drag the old Leicester videos out and show them how Steve Walsh used to attack the ball in both boxes at corners. It's easy for teams to defend against us this season, just hit it out for a corner, we won't score from it. Teams used to be worried about conceding corners to us, certainly not now

It was so annoying last night, more than you usual to be honest, me and my mate start there and actually just laughed at the crowds reaction to the ref / linesman it was terrible the ball NO WAY near went out for a corner at one point and they were going wild. But saying that the people i sit near were asking for wood to 'take the goalies head off' when he had it in his hands, some people are so angry just need to calm down a bit really, i know its frustrating but really it isnt helping anyone and its helping your health!

lol

Great stuff, we were talking about this earlier in the season. Brilliant when they all jump up screaming for a corner and the ball gone past the 6 yard box line. It's probably the most un-educated 'stand' in sports than Ive seen. Hopeless.

As for the topic, maybe something in what the OP is saying, we certainly don't seem to putting the same effort in, maybe a few of them have started to think turning up is enough to win games of football now after you have won a couple of games 5-1 and 6-1. Doesn't work like that and if you do drop your level it can be very hard to regain it.

It was so annoying last night, more than you usual to be honest, me and my mate start there and actually just laughed at the crowds reaction to the ref / linesman it was terrible the ball NO WAY near went out for a corner at one point and they were going wild. But saying that the people i sit near were asking for wood to 'take the goalies head off' when he had it in his hands, some people are so angry just need to calm down a bit really, i know its frustrating but really it isnt helping anyone and its helping your health!

Agreed, the whole Kop was chanting at the ref at one point when the ball wasn't even near the goal line. It was entertaining.

Archived