Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
seventy_times_7

Loan Signings

I really don't understand CL's dislike for the loan market. I know some will say that it is only a short term solution, but considering all of the long term signings we have already made, surely 1 short term solution (i.e. a striker on loan for the season) wouldn't be too bad.

Look at Charlton. This season they have signed Sorondo, Smertin and Spector all on season long loans. Two of these players have extensive premiership, european and international experience, and the other is a great youth prospect form man u. These 3 probably would have cost them upwards of £10m if they were looking at permenant deals, but they've strengthened their squad considerably for a fraction of this.

I'm sure there are premiership strikers out there available for loan who are far better than anything we could afford on a permenant deal. Mellor, Todorov, Christie, Owusu-Abeyi, Henrik Pedersen, etc etc.

Anyhow, the bottom line is we need to get a quality striker in before the start of the season, and this seems to me to be the best way of doing it.

p.s. i was away this weekend, latest on Gilbert anyone??

Leicester City will today complete the signing of Plymouth left-back Peter Gilbert for an undisclosed fee, subject to the player passing a medical.

The 21-year-old Welsh under-21 will arrive at the Walkers Stadium later this afternoon to sign a three-year contract with the club.

City boss Craig Levein has made no secret of his desire to bring in a left-sided defender ahead of the Championship kick-off on August 6.

And Gilbert ticks all the right boxes for the Leicester boss who has now captured seven players over the close season period.

Levein said: "He is a young player I feel has a lot of potential but he is a little bit away from the finished article just yet.

"That is no disrespect to him because I see a level of potential which can be realised and he can be a really good player for us.

"We will need to do a lot of work on him, as we have been doing with Richard Stearman, Alan Sheehan and Paddy McCarthy for example. Gilbert is another one that I see very much as someone we need to mould, one for the future, young and ambitious like the others I have mentioned.

"It is a question of getting them to learn the way we want the team to play and I am delighted the move now looks as if it is going to be completed."

Gilbert could make his debut in a City shirt during tonight's glamour clash against Inter Milan at the Walkers Stadium.

Tickets remain on sale throughout the day at the Walkers Stadium ticket office, and the club are urging fans to snap them up as soon as possible to avoid congestion on the night of the game.

asked for and answered ;)

Loans are often very usefull for clubs like yourself. You can bring some bigger names then if you were to sign them. Low cost. Can't see any reason why you don't try to get one or two on loan.

They can often lead to a permenant move

Boston Fan

Cheers for the swift replies. I can only vaguely remember Gilbert from last seasons home game with Plymouth, but i seem to remember him being solid enough. Should be another in a long line of good young signings.

Thoughts on loans anyone?

Cheers for the swift replies. I can only vaguely remember Gilbert from last seasons home game with Plymouth, but i seem to remember him being solid enough. Should be another in a long line of good young signings.

143602[/snapback]

I have nothing against them, look at Marcus Bent, but CL is not a fan generally of loans. :unsure::huh::ph34r::unsure:

143602[/snapback]

I have nothing against them, look at Marcus Bent, but CL is not a fan generally of loans. :unsure::huh::ph34r::unsure:

143614[/snapback]

Id guess thats because its like training up someone else's player... look at the experience we gave marcus bent, infact it's probably thanks to his stint with us that he is now at Everton, I doubt they would have noticed him playing in the championship with Ipswich but you never know I guess..

143602[/snapback]

143614[/snapback]

Id guess thats because its like training up someone else's player... look at the experience we gave marcus bent, infact it's probably thanks to his stint with us that he is now at Everton, I doubt they would have noticed him playing in the championship with Ipswich but you never know I guess..

143743[/snapback]

yeah but on the other hand you get to have prem quality player without the fee!

Its up to you whether you sign them at the end of the day, everyone who plays is in the "shopwindow" after all, so Marcus would have got plenty of sniffs if he had played for ANYONe in the prem that year.

We were lucky to have had him.

CL loaned three players last season. Taylor, Kenton and Moore. Taylor was a must at the time as Pressman was dropping some clangers and he did a solid enough job for us. Kenton did quite well towards the back end of his spell with us but Moore wasn't given much of a chance tbh. I'm not sure why because our other strikers weren't doing the business but he seemed like a waste of wages to me. If we loan somebody they've got to add something to our first team and I don't think Levein wants another first choice striker, he just wants someone to apply a bit of pressure to the other forwards.

To be honest though its not nescesserilly a short term soloution because (I suppose its going back to our new team every season policy :rolleyes:) but if you get a player in for a season long loan its basically like having a player on a season long contract...

I think CL prefers to rely on loan signings in cases of emergency - he signed Taylor because if we continued with Pieman in goal, we'd have been relegated by Xmas. lol

143838[/snapback]

Quite right. Also the training ground canteen budget had spiralled out of control.

I think CL dont like the idea of loaning players because they would have little or no loyalty to the club. He probably relised that the journeymen we had last season had no future at city or anywhere else and did not want to repeat the same mistake that MA made.

But I am sure that if we had to loan a player top get us out the shite, I am sure he would.

im not sure why, but ive never liked loans either (wel i never get any in on FM anyway) :P  :S

143895[/snapback]

Me neither.

Loans with a view to a permanent move are the loan option I can agree with - (especially when we're shipping out our deadweights with a view to someone taking them off our hands lol)

We can take a player on a season's loan with a view to a permanent deal, they may be looking for the switch so they know if they play well, there's a nice 3 year contact in store for them - they will play their best for us, making them seem more commited to the club than the free-riders we've had lately (Blake, Gemmil etc...)

According to a source within the FOXES boardroom, the club is in talks to bring Malcolm Christie from Middlesbrough on a season-long loan.

It's a bit of a risk, considering his poor injury record and our experience with his former colleague at the sheep. However, it's one worth taking, as when he's fit he'll offer us more options than our current strikers do!

According to a source within the FOXES boardroom, the club is in talks to bring Malcolm Christie from Middlesbrough on a season-long loan.

It's a bit of a risk, considering his poor injury record and our experience with his former colleague at the sheep.  However, it's one worth taking, as when he's fit he'll offer us more options than our current strikers do!

144152[/snapback]

you mean the option to tell him to pack his bags if he's not doing the business for us? :smile:

I would like to see Christie come down - he has something to prove and is not going to get a Premiership club with his injury record. He is also quick and has a proven record at this level.

Archived