Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Goals for nought - again

Am I the only one who's starting to get genuinely pissed off with the zero's on Leicester City scorelines (and I don't mean defensive ones).

It seems our forwards are about as potent as a team of eunochs.

Have we actually got any forwards coaches at Leicester? It isn't the first time I've wondered this.

If not why don't we get some?

It's not as if the problem is a new one is it? It has haunted everything we've done for as long as I can remember.

And it's a bloody important problem.

Why? a) Because we'll win sod all in any league without scoring.

b) Because our crowds will get lower and lower if the fans don't see any goals.

The fact that Leicester v Rushden was an inconsequential friendly matters not at all. If our coaches can't fathom enough ideas to pierce Rushden's defence then what on earth are they doing in professional football?.

We scored no goals against Celtic and no outfield goals against Inter Milan. Can the message be more load and clear?.

Pre-season is almost over and have we got into a winning habit?. Have we hell.

And have we shown any signs of being the marauding, attacking side that will put the fear of God into the opposition and put spectators bums on seats?. Have we hell.

I certainly see why we've got a good club spirit at Leicester. The place is full of defenders and no-one seems to give a shit about losing.

I don't want any more nice "good for the team spirit" guys at Leicester. The striker for Rushden apparently threatened a Millwall guy with a knife or something. Claridge possibly wouldn't have gone that far but he was an in-yer-face character. But they put the ball in the onion bag and defenders certainly knew they were around.

Tommy Wright? I'm sick of hearing him nearly score. He was nearly scoring all last season. Send him on work experience at Woolworths, Craig or set him up for a no-holds-barred bundle with the Rushden bloke (choose your own weopons) .

That's what we seem to be missing at City. Guys with the bottle to take a game by the scruff of the neck and win.

Rushden 2 Leicester 0;, Leicester 1 (penalty) Inter Milan 2; Leicester (one penalty missed) 0 Celtic 0. Every single one of those results makes me sick and that's before I mention the five-goal thrashing in Norway.

The only true joys in football are scoring goals and winning.

It's all that matters and its all the counts,

a very fair point made, but for me my opinions will stay neutral until i find out who our new striker is. If we fail to get one, then god help us! I read in the paper something like 'Leicester dominated midfield in the first half against inter and had it been for the hapless de vries they would have scored'. This is a reporter that has seen us at most proably 2 times, it's evident we haven't got a goalscorer in our team and as you rightly say, drawing 0-0 will get us no where!

I fear that some people will label us moaners for making constructive criticism of the team and raising our concerns about our strikeforce.

For what it's worth, I can definitely see where you are coming from Thracian and I agree to a large extent. However, the last three games have not included David Connolly in our lineup. I know our strikeforce is meant to have 2 strikers but we really really need Connolly. He offers something extra to our attacking and genuinely knows where the goal is. He is a massive player for us, if he plays well and scores for fun we will do well, but if he doesn't then I think your fears could become reality.

What is clear is that we need another striker, because I for one would be gutted if we had to use the Dublin-De Vries partnership for any prolonged period. All Levein's good work in shoring up the defence and sorting out the midfield would be wasted because without goals you cannot win football matches.

To be fair, not scoring an outfield goal againt two of the best sides in europe isnt that bad, and the strike force we had tonight will never play together next season.

I'm remaining optimistic untill the new season starts, when it really matters :)

To be fair, not scoring an outfield goal againt two of the best sides in europe isnt that bad, and the strike force we had tonight will never play together next season.

I'm remaining optimistic untill the new season starts, when it really matters :)

145343[/snapback]

If they were two of the best sides in Europe maybe I'd be happier but it was Inter Milan Reserves (nothing more) and Celtic, with their five-goal European defeat against Bratislava, look to be in serious freefall. I want the problems corrected BEFORE the season starts cos I had enough of patch and mend last season, thanks.

I think we have to put this in to perspective.

I agree to an extent what Filbertway is saying. Celtic are a decent side, although they are in a transitional period under Strachan, as proved by their 5-0 defeat this evening. We should have scored in that game, we didn't, but by no means should it raise a concern.

Inter Milan fielded two of their regular centre backs, so again, it doesn't concern me greatly that we didn't score from open play.

Rushden and Diamonds was a virtual youth side, so I wouldn't read too much in to that.

I think the Oxford game will give us a better indication of where we currently stand. Connolly will hopefully be back in the starting line up with de Vries I imagine, a partnership Levein sees as first choice, even with the inclusion of another striker.

Connolly certainly has the ability to score over 20 goals, as proved by his time at Wimbledon. de Vries looks much sharper and I think the partnership could work well.

Pre Season is not an accurate indication of how a season will go - The Wilcox example highlighting this.

Let's all calm down a little.

We score a hatful with DC in the side.

We score nothing without him.

Let's pray he doesn't go, and that he doesn't get injured or suspended then. :rolleyes:

I'm usually the first to over react, but after experiencing us rip teams to pieces in pre-season last summer i'm keeping an open mind until the season is under way. We won almost every game in pre-season last year, but what happened during the season? We couldn't score for shit.

As for striker coaches, who would we get in who has a better scoring record than Dion Dublin? I reckon Dublin know's a few things about technique when finishing and i'm sure he helps out. Alan Cork hardly got Connolly, Dublin, Scowcroft, Benjamin and Blake scoring last season when he was here with us.

However I will be concerned if we don't score many goals next season. David Connolly is in the top 5 strikers in this league, if we sign another striker with potential to score when it matters then I think we'll be fine. That's as long as we give these strikers the service, I find alot of our play rarely leads to anything and Danny Tiatto is a prime example of this. He has alot of the ball, but when does it ever lead to anything? I think without James Wesolowski and Stephen Hughes we haven't got anyone who consistently puts throughballs through for our strikers. (Weso had in all his pre-season games, so that's pretty consistent to me)

I think it's more our style of play than our strikers, but it works both ways. I have concerns, but I also am proved wrong regularly so i'm staying composed.....for now.

I'm usually the first to over react, but after experiencing us rip teams to pieces in pre-season last summer i'm keeping an open mind until the season is under way. We won almost every game in pre-season last year, but what happened during the season? We couldn't score for shit.

As for striker coaches, who would we get in who has a better scoring record than Dion Dublin? I reckon Dublin know's a few things about technique when finishing and i'm sure he helps out. Alan Cork hardly got Connolly, Dublin, Scowcroft, Benjamin and Blake scoring last season when he was here with us.

However I will be concerned if we don't score many goals next season. David Connolly is in the top 5 strikers in this league, if we sign another striker with potential to score when it matters then we will be fine   That's as long as we give these strikers the service, I find alot of our play rarely leads to anything and Danny Tiatto is a prime example of this. He has alot of the ball, but when does it ever lead to anything? I think without James Wesolowski and Stephen Hughes we haven't got anyone who consistently puts throughballs through for our strikers. (Weso had in all his pre-season games, so that's pretty consistent to me)

I think it's more our style of play than our strikers, but it works both ways. I have concerns, but I also am proved wrong regularly so i'm staying composed.....for now.

145417[/snapback]

What do you mean by us being fine? Is fine top 10, or play-offs?

However I will be concerned if we don't score many goals next season. David Connolly is in the top 5 strikers in this league, if we sign another striker with potential to score when it matters then I think we'll be fine. That's as long as we give these strikers the service, I find alot of our play rarely leads to anything and Danny Tiatto is a prime example of this. He has alot of the ball, but when does it ever lead to anything? I think without James Wesolowski and Stephen Hughes we haven't got anyone who consistently puts throughballs through for our strikers. (Weso had in all his pre-season games, so that's pretty consistent to me)

145417[/snapback]

I know a strikers coach who could maybe be tempted to join us at least in the short term...He was recently fired as Millwall manager :rolleyes:;)

Archived