Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Respect to a section of our fans

Just wanted to post a (not so?) brief note about our fans. There have been a lot who recognise that we've had some great moments this season, that we don't "deserve" success for no reason, that goals like Knockaert's at Forest and the two Nugent goals in the play-offs are a big part of the reason football gets to you so much and keeps you asking for more and that there have been 23 other clubs in this division, the vast majority of which have been fairly similar quality to ourselves.

Those of you who identify with all that restore my faith in football fans. I've long had the feeling that we are cursed in some way, which is a ludicrous notion but the nature of some of our defeats in important games in recent years has made me feel like this so much that today didn't even seem weird to me. Maybe it's because similar things have happened to Brentford and Hull in recent weeks (and still they might both get promoted this season anyway!) but it only seemed unbelievable for a short time. After that it just felt very Leicester City. Perhaps that mentality is part of the problem and we need winners who won't allow things like this to happen but it's easy to say you need winners. Every club wants them.

There are three other specific positives I want to mention about this season because so many of our fans make demands one summer and don't acknowledge the following summer after they've been addressed. They just whinge about something else instead. Creating a successful football team is a balancing act and you can make them hard as nails one summer and lose all the creativity, or vice versa.

So two things we needed which I have enjoyed about this season: Wes Morgan and Anthony Knockaert.

Don't need to say much more about Morgan. Superb season and, as a few have pointed out, we actually wondered why we signed him at the time when we had Mills, Bamba and St Ledger already. Hmm.

Knockaert: not perfect, makes mistakes, a bit of a maverick, lots to learn etc etc etc, but how refreshing to have a player so unpredictable and talented. There were times today when he got you out of your seat just by dropping a shoulder. These players aren't easy to find at our level and I hope he stays. The goal(s) against Huddersfield home and away, the assist at home to Forest but most of all... a winning goal in a league game at the City Ground. Will never forget that. That's the third positive. It may not have been a successful season overall but that was one of my favourite goals of all time.

So I'm going to try to remember that more than what happened today. It may not have got us promoted but for a few days there was a bit of unity amongst us fans. Would be nice to try to hold onto that for a bit longer. The debate about the manager in particular is necessary, and sometimes it's really interesting, but people can also go too far and it seems like they are just waiting for us to lose so they can pop up and crow about how they're right and everyone else is stupid. Regardless of who you want the manager to be, we can only affect things to a certain extent.

Reading about where people were when Knocky's goal went in at Forest and seeing all the photos and videos is what I'll remember most about this season. Some cracking memories and stories brilliantly captured in print and picture.

Maybe that makes me tinpot. The way I see it, I spend way too much time and money on this game not to be selective about it.

"...it's the goal..."

Just wanted to post a (not so?) brief note about our fans. There have been a lot who recognise that we've had some great moments this season, that we don't "deserve" success for no reason, that goals like Knockaert's at Forest and the two Nugent goals in the play-offs are a big part of the reason football gets to you so much and keeps you asking for more and that there have been 23 other clubs in this division, the vast majority of which have been fairly similar quality to ourselves.

Those of you who identify with all that restore my faith in football fans. I've long had the feeling that we are cursed in some way, which is a ludicrous notion but the nature of some of our defeats in important games in recent years has made me feel like this so much that today didn't even seem weird to me. Maybe it's because similar things have happened to Brentford and Hull in recent weeks (and still they might both get promoted this season anyway!) but it only seemed unbelievable for a short time. After that it just felt very Leicester City. Perhaps that mentality is part of the problem and we need winners who won't allow things like this to happen but it's easy to say you need winners. Every club wants them.

There are three other specific positives I want to mention about this season because so many of our fans make demands one summer and don't acknowledge the following summer after they've been addressed. They just whinge about something else instead. Creating a successful football team is a balancing act and you can make them hard as nails one summer and lose all the creativity, or vice versa.

So two things we needed which I have enjoyed about this season: Wes Morgan and Anthony Knockaert.

Don't need to say much more about Morgan. Superb season and, as a few have pointed out, we actually wondered why we signed him at the time when we had Mills, Bamba and St Ledger already. Hmm.

Knockaert: not perfect, makes mistakes, a bit of a maverick, lots to learn etc etc etc, but how refreshing to have a player so unpredictable and talented. There were times today when he got you out of your seat just by dropping a shoulder. These players aren't easy to find at our level and I hope he stays. The goal(s) against Huddersfield home and away, the assist at home to Forest but most of all... a winning goal in a league game at the City Ground. Will never forget that. That's the third positive. It may not have been a successful season overall but that was one of my favourite goals of all time.

So I'm going to try to remember that more than what happened today. It may not have got us promoted but for a few days there was a bit of unity amongst us fans. Would be nice to try to hold onto that for a bit longer. The debate about the manager in particular is necessary, and sometimes it's really interesting, but people can also go too far and it seems like they are just waiting for us to lose so they can pop up and crow about how they're right and everyone else is stupid. Regardless of who you want the manager to be, we can only affect things to a certain extent.

Reading about where people were when Knocky's goal went in at Forest and seeing all the photos and videos is what I'll remember most about this season. Some cracking memories and stories brilliantly captured in print and picture.

Maybe that makes me tinpot. The way I see it, I spend way too much time and money on this game not to be selective about it.

"...it's the goal..."

My pleasure  ;)

Seriously though I agree completely. 

"...it's the goal..."

Not in my book it doesn't...completely agree.  :thumbup:

Guest ttfn

Cracking post, as ever.

I will be more upset if we sell Knockaert than I was after he missed the penalty today. When on form he's worth the admission price alone and (with the possible exception of Izzet) we've not had anybody like him for 40 years.

Cracking post, as ever.

I will be more upset if we sell Knockaert than I was after he missed the penalty today. When on form he's worth the admission price alone and (with the possible exception of Izzet) we've not had anybody like him for 40 years.

Cheers and agreed re the admission price. Thanks for your posts this season too, been a reliable insight during a season I haven't been to as many games as I have in the past. There are a few people on here you can rely on to be balanced and fair about things, very helpful especially when there are plenty of others at one end of the scale or the other every time we win or lose.

Top post Fez. Great sentiments. I'm now 46 years old. I should be too mature to get so worked up by City, but it gets worse, not better. This season feels as if it's been even more of a roller coaster than most. At times we were brilliant. We were awful too. Usually against Barnsley. I'll be back next season, full of hope and trepidation in equal measure.

Top post Fez. Great sentiments. I'm now 46 years old. I should be too mature to get so worked up by City, but it gets worse, not better. This season feels as if it's been even more of a roller coaster than most. At times we were brilliant. We were awful too. Usually against Barnsley. I'll be back next season, full of hope and trepidation in equal measure.

im 47, and like you it seems to get worse the older you get.

Bang on Fez, I think people forget that there are 23 other teams in this division, coming on here after a defeat is the worst thing. Seeing Knocky called a twat in one thread by our own fans makes my blood boil. Been some great memories this season,me and my 4 year old son will never forget what happenend at forest.

Great post fez ....like a few of the others in my 40's now and these sorts of days seem to be even harder to comprehend ...you think by sneeking into the play offs (afyer being in auto/ play offs most season)..this would be the year .even better playing a team.just missing out...BUT again we fail at the last hurdle...perhaps its just never meant to be

"...it's the goal..."

That helped. Thanks.

Archived