Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Drinkwater - Good signing?

His form dropped in about January.

One of the most negative midfielders I have seen in a Leicester shirt, hence why he was dropped and King & James came in and played better.

He slows the game down too often, and when you have him slowing the game down, it just lets the opposition get their shape and sit in front of us, then win the ball off us. He has to have about four-five touches before he passes it sometimes, which is just hideous. Then you have the case of him passing it backwards and sideways a lot, you weren't seeing that when we started King and James, they looked forward, they looked back, they looked sideways, they attacked, they defended, they are capable of doing a lot of things well, Drinkwater isn't.

A quite astonishingly illogical post, even by the standards of this forum.

I have already explained when, how and why Drinkwater went from being our best player to being one of hour worst but even though you saw some of the reasons with your own eyes you still don't get it. 

Ten weeks into the season, playing positive attacking football with Drinkwater at the heart of it all and guess what, top of the league.

Back third of the season, playing defensive, direct football with James and King playing so well we manage two wins in about seventeen games.

:dunno:

If you watched the games carefully, you would have noticed that Drinkwater started taking the easy way out, i.e., passing the ball backwards.  Pearson didn't suddenly decide to go defensive, the other teams started pressing high up the pitch.

It seems unlikely that suddenly every team knew how to stop us playing, it seems more likely that it was down to us changing the way we played.

Asked and answered, thank you hackney....... :thumbup:

His form dropped in about January.

One of the most negative midfielders I have seen in a Leicester shirt, hence why he was dropped and King & James came in and played better.

He slows the game down too often, and when you have him slowing the game down, it just lets the opposition get their shape and sit in front of us, then win the ball off us. He has to have about four-five touches before he passes it sometimes, which is just hideous. Then you have the case of him passing it backwards and sideways a lot, you weren't seeing that when we started King and James, they looked forward, they looked back, they looked sideways, they attacked, they defended, they are capable of doing a lot of things well, Drinkwater isn't.

Played better? yet when Drinkwater was out of the team we hardly managed to win any games.

'I don't watch games very carefully'- yes I do

'our decline started at the end of October' - so, did you not 'watch very carefully' performances such as Sheff Weds away and Ipswich at home (November), Bolton away where we played very well (November), Derby at home (December). I could go on. Yes, we were woeful at times away from home and did play some average stuff but up until Feb we were consistently better than all other teams in the division bar Cardiff. Remember, we don't have a divine right to win every game. The division is competitive. Where Pearson went wrong was in the FA cup- it totally disrupted our flow and the players lost confidence.

So you do watch the games, but only selectively it would seem.

Yes we were still playing some good stuff, never said otherwise, the performance at Bolton was particularly good and we were still setting up, in the main, to attack the less strong sides.

But against the better sides, the more difficult sides we were going on the defensive, starting with Palace at home, then Watford, Millwall, Leeds etc away.

It was not that we did not win those games, as you said, no devine right, but that we never actually tried to win those games, not by playing positively anyway. We set up to contain and get a point, maybe nick the win, nothing wrong with that in general, but for a side capable of beating most teams that was unambitious to say the least.

The fact that we were absolute rubbish at it made our perseverance with it all the more perplexing, we were getting beat and we were doing nothing about it, strange.

Played better? yet when Drinkwater was out of the team we hardly managed to win any games.

The centre of midfield turned from one of our weakest positions, to one of the strongest. 

Hence why many were pleased with James and King's performances. 

James and King cemented their place when we beat Bolton 3-2, and from then we picked up seven points and won our home play-off game. 

It seems unlikely that suddenly every team knew how to stop us playing, it seems more likely that it was down to us changing the way we played.

And I suppose teams never scout out the opposition and copy the game plans of other teams who beat Leicester.  

Start of the season and up until about half way through it i thought DD was nailed on our CM and thought we'd wasted money on James(and a few others did who i sit round at games)Now for me James is our best midfielder.

Archived