Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jimmeh

whitbread

Which seems very unlikely - he's been made available on a free transfer and there's been no offers.

Man City will come in for him soon, I'm sure. 

On Whitbread, I honestly can see him improving, he is a good defender, who just had an average first season with us. 

He is a much better player, than we saw last season. 

Maybe a loan deal for this season then with us paying 50/50 like the Danns and Beckford last season, I can't see SSL sticking around he wants first team so he can play for Ireland

With only one defender as back up?

Man City will come in for him soon, I'm sure.

On Whitbread, I honestly can see him improving, he is a good defender, who just had an average first season with us.

He is a much better player, than we saw last season.

Do they need a reserve team captain then?

I think Whitbread 'ain't bad'

That's the problem with the squad though.

Drinky, Konch, King, Marshall, Danns, Lloyd, and others 'ain't bad'.

We desperately have needed a couple of 'bloody good' players in the squad over recent years. That's the reason why we've never gone up. We've been just 'not bad'.

Compare it again to MON's days. When we signed Clagger, Lennon and Izzett, within a few games we knew they were 'bloody good'. And we got promotion. It ain't rocket science.

Compare Whitbread to Elliott for example... Miles apart.

We desperately have needed a couple of 'bloody good' players in the squad over recent years. That's the reason why we've never gone up. We've been just 'not bad'.

Compare it again to MON's days. When we signed Clagger, Lennon and Izzett, within a few games we knew they were 'bloody good'. And we got promotion. It ain't rocket science.

Agreed - our scouting is distinctly average...the money spent on Vardy, Wood, Drinkwater, Marshall (£5m?) on transfer fees and their wages along with Futacs, Whitbreads would have easily given us one good intelligent and tough tackling midfielder one experienced central defender.....I think Nugent and Schlupp would have been strong enough up front with a bit of service and less requirement to defend (and let's not even talk about Beckford)

We were in the Premier league when we signed Elliott. I though I take your point. personally think we do have a couple of "bloody good" players if not more in our  squad (James, Morgan, Knockeart, De Leat, Nugent, Wood).

Don't forget we had players that could be described as "not bad" the year we went up under O'Neill. (Taylor, Watts, Colin Hill, Whitlow) all steady decent players but not in the same class as Lennon. Izzet and Claridge.

Whitbread in my opinion is in that "steady" category his issue is fitness and I think that has stopped him making an impact. After all he was part of the norwich side that went up 2 years ago. I just don't think we have seen the best of him but also wonder whether his fitness will stop us doing so.

We were in the Premier league when we signed Elliott. I though I take your point. personally think we do have a couple of "bloody good" players if not more in our squad (James, Morgan, Knockeart, De Leat, Nugent, Wood).

Don't forget we had players that could be described as "not bad" the year we went up under O'Neill. (Taylor, Watts, Colin Hill, Whitlow) all steady decent players but not in the same class as Lennon. Izzet and Claridge.

Whitbread in my opinion is in that "steady" category his issue is fitness and I think that has stopped him making an impact. After all he was part of the norwich side that went up 2 years ago. I just don't think we have seen the best of him but also wonder whether his fitness will stop us doing so.

Fair enough buddy I take your point on that..

:thumbup:

However, I do think the 'bloody good' list you mentioned aren't 'that good' if you take my meaning. The squad is crying out for a real bit of quality.

Again, going back to MON... A midfielder like Gary Parker would be fantastic in today's squad.

Fair enough buddy I take your point on that..

:thumbup:

However, I do think the 'bloody good' list you mentioned aren't 'that good' if you take my meaning. The squad is crying out for a real bit of quality.

Again, going back to MON... A midfielder like Gary Parker would be fantastic in today's squad.

I agree that the players I mentioned are not as good as Izzet and Lennon but still good players not steady players. Garry Parker type would be good due to delivery from set pieces. 

James, Wood and Knockeart are a few year younger than Lennon and Claridge were when they joined and I believe they will improve. Though Izzet and Lennon were 2 of the best players I have seen play for city and up they in the top 25 players were have had play for us i'd guess. So a little unfair of my to compare them to the current crop.

I'm pinning my hope on players like them improving this year and steady players like Whitbread contributing by keeping us solid.

Archived