Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jimmeh

whitbread

Think he's going to play a big part this season. Remember last season he didn't have a proper pre season at all. Now he's more settled Here, think him and wes will be a great partnership. Would much rather Whitbread than Michael Keane. Just need to see a bit more urgency from Whitbread as he seems a bit too relaxed at times but he's amazing in the air.

He definitely showed flashes of being a decent player last season, he also shown that he could be a donkey too. It's no coincidence that he played a key part in Norwich's promotion season though, if there's one thing that Nigel knows about it's a centre back. Would still like to see somebody else bought in however, solely based on St Ledger, and in particularly Whitbread's fitness.

Absolutely agree. Whitbread was colossal for Millwall in League One and equally colossal for Norwich when they were promoted. I actually didn't think he did too bad during his run in the side, just that we struggled to score goals. Him and Wes showed glimpses together of bullying players and the one thing that really impresses me with Whitbread is his thirst to get to every ball first. Animal in the air. I really hope he can be that man.

Also think he could have a major influence this season if he stays fit. He gives us a level of agression we visibly lacked last part of last season. Aggressive and abrasive - every team at this level needs that. If NP explores 3 CB's this season than having Wes one side of him and someone with a bit more pace the other could be highly effective.

I am willing to give him another chance considering this season he's had a pre season. I've got a feeling he could be a sort of solid defender for us, but he wasn't exactly quality in his few games last season. He came into the side and that's when we seemed to start conceding... Morgan/St Ledger played at the start of the season and picked up a few clean sheets.

He is our best header of the ball full stop

When we play the hoof it teams he would come into his own

When we play possession teams like Watford then leave him on the bench and let Moore have a go

I totally get what you're saying about the Watford's of this league, and we all see games differently, but for me one of our real problems against them was that they put the ball up to Deeney and it stuck. Then they play on the edge of our box and can slice us open. Someone with ZW's aggression potentially stops that by winning the first ball. Walsh, Elliott and Taggart were all potentially droppable against skilful attacks, but they did okay ! He's not perfect by a long way. But we can't afford or attract 'perfect'. For me, after Wes, he's the best we've got.

I was surprised by the criticism of him last season as people seemed to write him off after his poor start. After those initial games (when he wasn't fit enough), I thought he was starting to look solid alongside Wes and a decent partnership was forming, however some seemed unable to forgive him those early mishaps. In a weird sort of way, though I thought Michael Keane was a cracking young player, I actually thought we were less solid when he was brought in for Whitbread.

I'm not sure he was 100% fit at any point last season, if we can get him fully fit for more-or-less the whole season then he might be a real asset.

Not a fan of his I'm afraid. Makes some very sloppy errors and gives away a lot of possession. i would give him another chance to prove me wrong but given the choice would like an alternative brought in.

Agreed, this is what I meant really. Always plays that stupid long ball and gives it away.

He is our best header of the ball full stop

When we play the hoof it teams he would come into his own

When we play possession teams like Watford then leave him on the bench and let Moore have a go

Get your point but if you watch him although he wins the ball in the air he seems to concede a free kick just about every time so we end up worse off in a lot of cases.

Didn't think he did a lot wrong last season. Just was never 100% fit. Moore will never be strong enough to okay CB so Whitbread would be my choice to play with Wes. Would prefer Keane though, hoping we might see him back on loan again.

*play*

Similar to Beckford in the sense of wrong player for the wrong club. Hope i'm proved wrong.

nothing like that IMO, Whitbread hasn't came on loads of wages and can accept being back up and fighting for a spot, where as Beckford was on massive amounts and expected to play. Also Whitbread hasn't had a decent of games unlike Beckford has had

nothing like that IMO, Whitbread hasn't came on loads of wages and can accept being back up and fighting for a spot, where as Beckford was on massive amounts and expected to play. Also Whitbread hasn't had a decent of games unlike Beckford has had

Well that's what you think, and that's what I think.

He's not had a standout game for us yet.

Well that's what you think, and that's what I think.

He's not had a standout game for us yet.

I reckon he will be a good solid centre half next to Wes with a good pre season and a run on games, can't see no one else playing next to Wes (especially if SSL does go out)

I reckon he will be a good solid centre half next to Wes with a good pre season and a run on games, can't see no one else playing next to Wes (especially if SSL does go out)

Which seems very unlikely - he's been made available on a free transfer and there's been no offers.

Which seems very unlikely - he's been made available on a free transfer and there's been no offers.

Maybe a loan deal for this season then with us paying 50/50 like the Danns and Beckford last season, I can't see SSL sticking around he wants first team so he can play for Ireland

Despite seeing most of the games he played in since he joined us I still don't think I've seen enough of him to judge how good he is. Though he was horrible to watch vs Barnsley- just like the rest of the team mind you.

Archived