Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

MDV

Knighton Matt (elsewhere in a closed thread) is quite right in saying MDV is a decent footballer and that is what makes him such a problem in our team.

He can play a bit he does bring others into the game by holding the ball up. And he has lots of deft skills.

The problem is he operates as a creator rather than a marksman. Before we write him off (not a real option at present anyway) I'd like to try the alternative of instructing him to shoot on sight.

He really may have a confidence or decision making problem. Focus his mind and we may see a better outcome. I can't see Dublin being a better option and the new lad will certainly need bedding in first from what I saw in his first cameo.

Knighton Matt (elsewhere in a closed thread) is quite right in saying MDV is a decent footballer and that is what makes him such a problem in our team.

He can play a bit he does bring others into the game by holding the ball up. And he has lots of deft skills.

The problem is he operates as a creator rather than a marksman. Before we write him off (not a real option at present anyway) I'd like to try the alternative of instructing him to shoot on sight.

He really may have a confidence or decision making problem. Focus his mind and we may see a better outcome. I can't see Dublin being a better option and the new lad will certainly need bedding in first from what I saw in his first cameo.

152178[/snapback]

Definately, i've seen him score some beauties from 20+ yards for Hearts before.

I don't know how anyone can comment about Elvis at present, he hardly saw the ball on Saturday and was out of position on the wing, lets give the team a few games to settle then judge them.

I have to agree, MDV is good with his feet and is just lacking confidence in front of goal. We all know he can't head a ball but when he gets the ball at his feet and turns players he can look dangerous. Unfortunately as Darth says he needs to start scoring soon or it will just get harder and harder. Hopefully he'll net a couple and a boost in confidence will enable us to see what he can really do..... hopefully.......

Crazy - ca you imagine him scoring 4 goals in one game?!

I think he has the ability to take on a few players, maybe not Juninho like but can certainly use his touches to take it past a few albeit without speed. He does have a good build and he's starting to use this to his advantage. The way he sheilds the ball from opponents is also improving with each game. I dont think we should turn onto him just yet - the manager has faith in him and I think for the short term at least we should give the guy a chance (and not scrutinise every move he makes). He is improving, his fitness is better and he's more confident than he was last season. Only a matter of time before he starts scoring I think...

I wish he wasn't scared of heading a a ball also. How many corners at weekend were wasted. Connolly is too wee to reach the ball without a stepladder so DeCreis needs to start heading, he tends either to try and chest the ball or let it float over him.

152178[/snapback]

Thanks for that view Thracian. It has made me change my mind over De Vries, lets hope Levein realises this (which he should from his time at Hearts) and implement it.

I wish he wasn't scared of heading a a ball also. How many corners at weekend were wasted. Connolly is too wee to reach the ball without a stepladder so DeCreis needs to start heading, he tends either to try and chest the ball or let it float over him.

152209[/snapback]

Yep indeed - far too many corners wasted. We had around 7-9 I think right? We have a few fairly tall players so we should look to attack where we can - De Vries, McCarthy, maybe Johansson should all be causing them problems at set peices (remember Elliott, Walsh, Marshall, Deane, Taggart)

152209[/snapback]

I agree with that - De Vries is quite scared to head the ball I feel. It was his main problem last season which infuriated me but I have seen an improvement in that area in the game against Sheff Utd.

I was encouraged by his performance and would have to agree with Thracian - MDV needs to be told to shoot from 18 yards or close rather than laying it off to somebody else. The thing that disappointed me, however, was that in the pre match warmup MDV hardly had any shots at goal. On the other hand, Connolly kept shooting time and time again and was looking very sharp in the warmup, and I'm sure that practice helped him score the equaliser.

I thought De Vries looked good on saturday - he held the ball up and laid it off very well, and showed some excellent skills. He was a little unfortunate with on effort close to their goal as one of the Sheff Utd defenders faintly clipped his ankle as he pulled the trigger to shot. Still, he does need to be a little more greedy at times.

I hope he scores tomorrow, it's down to Levein to demand him to shoot more often. He looked class against Celtic and was well up for that match. He was bullish because of the rivalry he had with Celtic up at Hearts. He has the talent I think, Levein must declare that de Vries either turns it on or accepts he'll be a bench warmer. Time to call de Vries bluff.

I was quite encouraged by MDV yesterday. His main job this season is to provide support Conners and I think he can do that.

152331[/snapback]

Is it me or have you changed quite dramatically since last season? You seem to know what your talking about these days? Pleasing to read, long may that continue mate. :D

I don't agree that he can't take people on, he skinned Jagielka before losing his footing in the second half, and that's a defender who Sheff Utd fans i know have said will play for England and they've just turned down £4m from Wigan for him.

In both the Sheffield United and Inter games his general build up play has been very good, now he just needs to score. I agree he needs to shoot more though, but hope the fans give him a bit more time, getting on his back does no-one any good.

I hope he improves before the fans get on his back. Remember a certain player brought in by Peter T*ylor?

Confidence can be a funny thing - I recall how Jason Lee went from an average striker to a pi$$ poor one because Fantasy Football continually ridiculed him on the show, and away fans mercilessly chanted about his pineapple hair cut....

MDV reminds me a lot of Peter Crouch (surpirsingly good on the deck, surprisingly bad in the air). The reason I was sticking up for him so much after the Sheff. Utd match was that last season, many (myself included admittedly) had written this guy off as a no hoper. Endless matches I watched last year involved the ball going up to the big man and him not being able to hold it up or him being outmuscled etc. However what I saw on Saturday was a drastic improvement. For large parts of the game he was holding the ball up excellently and outmuscling defenders and even rolling off a few. I'm as frustrated as most at his lack of scoring prowess and his cumbersome style but trust me guys he will prove invaluable in so many away matches this season where he can hold the ball up and allow the midfield to get forward. Sunderland weren't great away last season but they had the ability to nick 1-0's when they weren't playing that well (ourselves included at The Walkers remember?) Give De Vries 10 matches before making judgement. If he's only scored a handful of goals then admittedly its time for a change but I think you'll find his confidence will rise with each appearance and MDV and Connolly will form a fine partnership.

I think perhaps one of MDV's best assets is his ability to hold up the ball and turn defenders. Technically, he's very good and uses his strength well to create opportunities for himself and others. Unfortunately, as others have highlighted in this thread, his composure in front of goal just isn't there.

Is it confidence or ability? Funny as it may sound, it's a mixture of both I think. I don't think he's a natural goalscorer like Connolly, however, he does have the potential to get his fair share as he's creates opportunities for himself and gets in to good positions, but requires the confidence to convert.

requires the confidence.

153011[/snapback]

Nice to see that the onset of old age hasn't clouded the thought process Scowy.

Confidence is what it's about. Unfortunately though in front of 20,000 people there's a very thin line between looking deft and daft.

Archived