Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DangerFox

New defence? Almost! For next year......

I've been saying for the last few weeks that I don't think we can play Was and Wes in the same team. They are great individuals but I think they're too similar.

Last season Wes Morgan was the oldest, most experienced, strongest, most intelligent, loudest centre-back at the club. Wasyl has come in and exceeded in most of them areas, taking the lime light away from Wes. I've often thought sometimes this season that the arm-band is the only thing keeping Wes on the pitch. Liam Moore has been great, there's no denying that but we are always going to have a natural bias because he's 'one of our own'. I hope we sign Ignasi Miquel because he is arguably the best ball-playing centre-back at the club. We need composure next year, not hoof-ball and miss-hits from Wes and Was. Whitbread will be gone. He wasn't great but I think it's harsh to call him disastrous. I really liked St Ledger, he was good in the air and was quick, saying that, he's hardly played and will definitely be surplus to requirements.

Can I also use this time to throw in Alie Sesay. I've only seen him once this year (vs Liverpool U21's). He was very strong and very quick. Calm, composed and full of potential. I'd expect him to go out on loan to a Championship club next year.

As for 'captaincy' I don't think that matters. When you watch Leicester, we have 'captains' all over the pitch. I personally think the role would be better suited to Matty James or Drinkwater; two players who are certainties to start next year.

Out of all our CBs St Ledger is the only one that has shown he can play against top level international players, something that most Premiership teams have.

Forget Waz, just a dirty stopper.

Pretty much of the same opinion. we have to trust in the management team. NP ex centre back must have an idea of what he wants or needs so I'll confidently leave it to them.

I could see Morgan going back to Forest if Im honest.

The way Drinky was at Reading his passion and enthusiasm I can see him being the next Captain.

Morgan going back to Forest is a great shout. As most have said I'd give him time to have a crack at it. He's lead us up and deserves to be leading the team out with the premier league arm band on in August, but I can just see things going sour for him and leaving.

As for Drinkwater as captain, hold your horses on that one. Passion and enthusiasm is one thing but it's very Sunday league to make a player captain, just because he is the best player! Look at Austin at Leeds, best CM they had all last year, made him captain...absolutely useless. Gave up the armband because it was affecting his performances, we don't want to even entertain the idea of that happening to DD.

Matty James is captain material for me.

i said the same thing about 2 months ago but the usual idiots came sniffing in the thread and took it upon themselves to ruin what was turning into decent conversation. 

i said i didnt think morgan and was were quick enough for the prem or that konch was and schlupp was to inexperienced but his recent performances suggest that he may well do a good job there. 

i also feel that we need to a 4-2-3-1 formation as we have two nice passers of the ball in mahrez and knocky with skill and flair  but we lack a real defensive hardman if you know what i mean.  

nige has shown he can change so maybe its something he would look at for me to be there challenging to stay up i would go 

--------------------------------------------kasper---------------------------------------------

de laet----------------new cb---------------------------new cb-----------------------schlupp

-----------------------drinkwater----------------------new hardman cdm--------------------

---knocky---------------------------vardy--------------------------mahrez--------------------

------------------------new powerful  front man ----------------------------------------------

Pretty hard to disagree with that to be honest. I would agree Morgan may not be quite up to the standard and pace of the premiership but I also believe he at least deserves/earned the chance to have a go at it.

I'm afraid I agree totally re Morgan. I'd play Liam til the end of the season on the left and alterate Wes and Was on the right to see whocompliments him best. For me, although both slow (though experienced) Was is a far better ball player than Wes. Didn't Wes have a one year extension to his contract recently? If so and if offered decent money by a Championship club I'd let him go to finance a better player and keep Was as cover. Caulker as has been mentioned and if available would be a good shout.

Again, I don't agree..

The back four is not my biggest worry.

My biggest worry is the midfield. If we can't keep the ball enough, the back four will be exposed time and time again and, like last season, the defence will be continually blamed when we concede.

If we play Mahrez and Knocky in the same side, I think we'll concede possession far too readily in the Prem and will be over-run.

RDL, Morgan, Moore, Schlupp... sounds a solid back four that. Its got youth, strength and pace.

But if we can't retain possession and defend as a TEAM we may get slaughtered in some games next season.

The Prem is mean. You lose the ball mid-way in the opositions half and suddenly you're on the backfoot, subject to a quick counter and you go a goal down.

Success next season will be founded upon how we can keep the ball when we need to. This will be key.

Find my self agreeing with Col. Midfield is key, and If ours turns up I think we will be ok. However i do think Wes is getting a lot of unfair stick on here. He is by far the best centre half we've had since Elliot. If any of you have been down you'll notice his positioning is immense, a huge positive in the premier league. You don't need pace if you've got the brain. Now Marcin I do not have the same confidence in I'm afraid. He looks too rash and cannot get off the ground. He is a useful player and a good addition but not a starter in my opinion. I'd like us to see someone like Shawcross playing alongside Wes. In Nigel we trust.

I agree with COL and Casablancas. Not only do I think we need more additions in the midfield than defence but I think those additions will be more important to our survival. Every team has their defence made to look mugs by the like of Suarez and Aguerro. Generally you can't stop those players - they do usually score.

Midfield is more important as we need to win the central battles to get anything from most of the games. We will probably bad looking at a few centre mids and a few wingers. Those are the players that keep us up. I think with the obvious left back addition and a new centre back who has played in the premiership arriving the defence will be fine - you could throw Miquel in on a freebie but he's not really a new addition. Wes and Was have earnt their chance and are ready to have a go.

If Cardiff go down, Caulker would be perfect.

Fancy him to back to Spurs. He's had a good season and Daniel Levy is not afraid to buy back players he likely regrets selling. He did it with Younes Kaboul.

NP has said that the current players have earned the right to play in the Premier League so I don't see him offloading any current starters.  I share the view that we could do with a higher quality defence but NP has created a good team spirit, partly I feel by showing loyalty to his players, and I don't expect that to change.

One of best posts I've seem on here totally spot on. Liam Moore should play instead of Wasyl for now, need to bring couple of defenders in.

Do you think NP and Shakey will play 'spoof' to see who has to tell Was he's been dropped ? :ph34r:

Archived