Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

The lunacy or genius of QPR?

You do need experience in the premiership and that's where King Nigel is falling shorts. Nigel is a championship manager, even his signings scream championship.

They sign Rio Ferinand and we sign Matt Upson ...

Totally agree

Hugo...

According to you, you need experience as a Premier League manager and that's where Nigel falls short.

By that logic there wouldn't be a single premier league manager today, they all started from nothing there.

And you're massively neglecting the fact NP has extensive experience as assistant manager and coach (+caretaker) in the PL with West Brom and Newcastle.

Additionally he was assistant to Pearce for England U21s no less.

The man has learned his craft and won two football league titles at a canter with us, and is by no means 'inexperienced' in the Premier division.

I read Harry's autobiography on holiday and I must admit it was a very good read, thought I would just throw that into the mix

Almost finished reading it myself. And yes it's a very good read, the impression I get from it is that Harry can't be bothered to go looking for young talent anymore that's why he signs a lot of players he's managed before.

Also Julian Dicks sounds like a right cvnt.

I'm sorry are you attempting you compare the achievement of a manager who took over a club in 13th, to one who took over a premier league club with a bigger budget that most of Europe.

I'd have thought that the whole Sven experience would teach us all that spending money does not always equal success. I recollect many suggesting exactly that at the time Sven was manager. Did you? Sven spent the best part of 15 million quid to assemble a bunch of misfits which culminated in that 3-0 home defeat against Millwall, one of the worst games I'd watched Leicester play for years.

Redknapp states that he had to do pretty much the same thing with Hughes' squad of misfits as Pearson had to do with Sven's. It was always going to take time to turn QPR round as it was Pearson with Leicester.

I see similarities in the two situations. Not in completely financial terms, but in squad morale, gelling, playing for each other and re-building. This is true of clubs whatever division you are in. If you inherit an unhappy and/or disruptive squad, it takes time to gain some calm.

Leicester City fans have afforded Pearson that time. Many cried that it should have happened last season, whilst some were more patient. Why can't you afford the same time to a manager like Redknapp? Someone who (if you believe what you read), needed to shake-up a broken dressing room.

To be honest, I think people simply don't like him. End of. Discussion becomes futile when this situation is endemic.

I believe signing Etoo would be the wrong move. But I also believe that the hostility Redknapp (and QPR) recieve on here is bizarre.

Guest MattP

Almost finished reading it myself. And yes it's a very good read, the impression I get from it is that Harry can't be bothered to go looking for young talent anymore that's why he signs a lot of players he's managed before.

Also Julian Dicks sounds like a right cvnt.

That's exactly what I said last season, the desire to 'find a player' has gone, every signing has somehow been previously managed, procured from Spurs/West Ham etc or was already 'highly touted' i.e Austin. It happens to everyone I bet, he's older now, loves his horses and gardening and at that age I'd been doing my hobbies rather than working, Ferdinand and Caulker so far, you just know it will be Etoo, Defoe etc etc on the way.

Certainly no chance of a Riyad Mahrez, Richie De Laet or Danny Drinkwater turning up at Loftus Road. I get the feeling 'Arry's scouting network consists of him, Jim Smith and Joe Jordan watching Sky Sports Premiership years from their time at Tottenham or playing FIFA 14.

Guest MattP

'Arry: Premiership years on Joe, 1997, what you think?

Joe: Could be still someone knocking about 'Arry, get the pen out. Might pick up a bargain, love a bit of this wheeling and dealing.

'Arry: Eh I'm a facking football manager! Pisstaking twat! Oi that's the geezer, look at that, centre midfielder, big, powerhouse, black as fack, no one shifting him off the ball. Huge.

Joe: What's his name Arras?

'Arry: Marc Vivien Foe, rings a bell actually, sure I ad him at West Ham.

Joe: Nice one, I'll get on the blower, I know a geezer whose got this thing called google, tells where their playing and everything.

'Arry: Facking hell Joe this technology, worlds gone ****ing mad I tell ya. Did my first transfer deal in a bookies, lost Tim Sherwood on a horse.

Joe: He's dead Arry.

'Arry: What the fack?

Joe: Yeah on the pitch, you were there.

'Arry: Oh yeah Marc, lovely fella, top lad, would do anything for ya, real character, great in the dressing room. Fack. Facking hell.

Joe: Whats up Arry?

'Arry: Forgot about him in me book.

Joe: Ah bollocks, eh up the mobiles going again? It's Rosie.

Leicester signings are hardly been amazing have they ? I'm sorry but if you consider matt upson a good signing then you're a bigger idiot then I thought. Please tell me apart from Konchesky who has played in the premiership more then 100 times ??

You think because last season was so good, it's gonna be a repeat and it's not. GTF getting a new contract sums Nigel up for me. Imagine if QPR had sign Matt Upson we'd all be laughing on here. Same with GTF.

You need abit of experience and we're lacking massively. Pearson isn't got any apart from being a number 2.

Makes me laugh how posts like this assume that us and QPR started at a similar level. We're a far better side than they are.

That's exactly what I said last season, the desire to 'find a player' has gone, every signing has somehow been previously managed, procured from Spurs/West Ham etc or was already 'highly touted' i.e Austin. It happens to everyone I bet, he's older now, loves his horses and gardening and at that age I'd been doing my hobbies rather than working, Ferdinand and Caulker so far, you just know it will be Etoo, Defoe etc etc on the way.

Certainly no chance of a Riyad Mahrez, Richie De Laet or Danny Drinkwater turning up at Loftus Road. I get the feeling 'Arry's scouting network consists of him, Jim Smith and Joe Jordan watching Sky Sports Premiership years from their time at Tottenham or playing FIFA 14.

Apart, of course, from the young lad they had on loan in the midfield last season, and the Japanese? player they also brought in.

And weren't they linked with an Icelandic striker just a couple of weeks ago.

Yep, QPR have no scouts....

You don't half spout some nonsense Mr P.

Guest MattP

Apart, of course, from the young lad they had on loan in the midfield last season, and the Japanese? player they also brought in.

And weren't they linked with an Icelandic striker just a couple of weeks ago.

Yep, QPR have no scouts....

You don't half spout some nonsense Mr P.

Ravel Morrison? Maiga? The guys from West Ham? Fair play mate, I take it back, no idea how they found them?

Icelandic striker? Linked with? Eidur Gudjonsson?

It all depends whether you believe, or not, what is written in Arry's autobiography?

This is all it comes down to.

Redknapp states that the dressing room he inherited when he joined QPR was one of the worst atmosphere's he had ever encountered in his managerial career.

Lots of billy big bollox and players clearly not bothered.

He knew he needed to change things around and quickly. Ultimately, he concedes that he couldn't do this in his first season. The rot had set-in, so to speak.

Can similarities be made here when Pearson inherited Sven's squad of misfits? Pearson too, failed in that first season back, to change the losing mentality.

As far as I can see and read, Redknapp then had to ship out a lot of the 'deadwood' (an oft-used phrase on here) due to their attitude and/or their wages which could not be sustained in the Championship eg. Granero, Samba and bring-in players on less money and with something to play for.

Now, the reality is (and people won't like this), where Pearson failed to take us up in the following season, Redknapp DID take QPR up (albeit in a less impressive way than many thought he would and,for many, should have done).

Now? Well we wait and see.. we have signed, thus far, more than QPR have done (though this could change). What I'm pretty sure of is this... if Redknapp had 'risked' 7.5 million on Ulloa and was linked with Troy Deeney for anything up to 10 million, many on here would be shouting that 'Redknapp is at it again.. wasting money blah-di-blah'. However, for some reason it's ok for us to do this, or potentially to do so?

One final time, I have no love for Redknapp. I have read his book and found it enjoyable. He's almost a caricature of a Cockney geezer, which more than anything else, I find funny

But, I dont like hypocrisy. Where it comes to Redknapp and to QPR, I think there's been a lot of that written.

The reason people would slate Redknapp is because he's got previous for having absolutely no concerns about throwing money at anything and anyone.

Pearson on the other hand has been largely prudent. No-one can argue with that. I know there's an element of bias - but I've got more faith in Pearson spending money than I have in Redknapp as the latter has done it and wasted it many a time, whereas Pearson's far more cautious.

Comparing QPR of 2013/14 to Leicester of 2012/13 is a little harsh too IMO. You compare the sort of money they're spending on players to the ones that we did.

We got to the play-offs and were a penalty away from a winnable final against Crystal Palace. QPR scraped their way through. It's all very fine margins, but I don't think there was a lot in it. It's just the way it goes.

I'll say this though - have QPR just signed Caulker for £5mil? Because that's an excellent signing at that price.

Eto'o at least makes more sense than Ferdinand, he had a decent season for Chelsea, 9 goals in 21 appearances ain't bad including a hat-trick against United, a 1 year deal and used as a super sub/impact player if his goals keep QPR up then he will have repaid the reported 8million Euros in wages.

QPR's problem the last few seasons was not a lack of talent, but a lack of spirit, Nigel has built a team that will fight for each other and acquired players that will fit in with his team.

QPR have a collection of players and they keep on adding to it, rather than building on it. I can't see Eto'o mucking in and helping out when the going gets tough, again I could be wrong, but he has had attitude problems before and I don't see him being a positive influence on the dressing room.

Eto'o has played for Anzhi Makhachkala. That pretty much sums up his motivation for me.

'Arry: Premiership years on Joe, 1997, what you think?

Joe: Could be still someone knocking about 'Arry, get the pen out. Might pick up a bargain, love a bit of this wheeling and dealing.

'Arry: Eh I'm a facking football manager! Pisstaking twat! Oi that's the geezer, look at that, centre midfielder, big, powerhouse, black as fack, no one shifting him off the ball. Huge.

Joe: What's his name Arras?

'Arry: Marc Vivien Foe, rings a bell actually, sure I ad him at West Ham.

Joe: Nice one, I'll get on the blower, I know a geezer whose got this thing called google, tells where their playing and everything.

'Arry: Facking hell Joe this technology, worlds gone ****ing mad I tell ya. Did my first transfer deal in a bookies, lost Tim Sherwood on a horse.

Joe: He's dead Arry.

'Arry: What the fack?

Joe: Yeah on the pitch, you were there.

'Arry: Oh yeah Marc, lovely fella, top lad, would do anything for ya, real character, great in the dressing room. Fack. Facking hell.

Joe: Whats up Arry?

'Arry: Forgot about him in me book.

Joe: Ah bollocks, eh up the mobiles going again? It's Rosie.

Omfg lol lol lol lol lol

If I could fit all of that in a signature I would. I read it all just picturing his face from that FIFA 2006 cartoon posted in the Prem thread.

Archived