Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

The lunacy or genius of QPR?

No, blame the multitude of posters who have been posting about QPR and Arry since c. last January (coinciding with Redknapp's comments and their poor run). Its been like an obsession. And its still going now! It's a good job it wasn't QPR who spent 7 mill on Ulloa. The forum would have gone into meltdown.

What I've done is to simply give the counter argument. Unlike some I wont simply write a fence-sitting post to appease the masses. I'll say it how I see it.

IMO the preoccupation with QPR and Redknapp has been nowt short of barmy.

:thumbup:

If by counter-argument you mean constantly claiming that there's an alleged "obsession" with QPR and 'Arry on here and adding nothing constructive for most part, then that's a pretty weak argument.

In the past few weeks, the only input in this matter from your side has been more or less shallow claptrap and attempts at taking the mick out of other posters (many of them who have made valid points in this discussion in the weeks and months past).

One could call that a proper "obsession".

I couldn't speak for Leicester, but Sean Dyche didn't have 50% of Redknapp's budget or anywhere near.  More like 20%.  QPR generally, Hughes as well as Redknapp, have wasted frightening amounts of money.  That Brazilian goalkeeper, Cesar, was on about £5m per year to play in canada, and I bet QPR were paying most of it.

QPR's squad wasn't and isn't better than either of ours.  That's why they finished so far behind, and that's why when Austin went down injured they were nearer relegation form than promotion form - billions of players and no squad.

Our squad was worth probably £12 million, built over three years, with a couple of players who have been with us for six years, and some Pearson inherited.

Drinkwater, Knockaert, James, De Laet, Schmeichel, Konchesky, Morgan, Vardy, Wood cost about £1 million each, then Mahrez was another £300k, if you include Waghorn's limited appearances that's another £2 million. Hammond was undisclosed.

Then we had some youth teamers (King, Moore, Schlupp) and frees (Dyer, Nugent, GTF, Phillips, Wasyl).

If we're going on budgets used last season we spent money on Mahrez and Hammond, which amounted to less than a million I would've thought.

If by counter-argument you mean constantly claiming that there's an alleged "obsession" with QPR and 'Arry on here and adding nothing constructive for most part, then that's a pretty weak argument.

In the past few weeks, the only input in this matter from your side has been more or less shallow claptrap and attempts at taking the mick out of other posters (many of them who have made valid points in this discussion in the weeks and months past).

One could call that a proper "obsession".

Again, from the bloke who posts about people 'praying' to a shrine of Redknapp.

Immature and certainly no addition to any discussion. In fact, as ive said before, nothing short of bizarre.

Yes, I feel I have given a counter argument to the frequent and biased comments made. And it wasnt myself that started a whole thread on the bloody subject!

However, you seemingly trying to attack nearly every post I make? No surprise there. Surprisingly the mods seem to let you get away with it? Didnt you use to be one?

Our squad was worth probably £12 million, built over three years, ...

If we're going on budgets used last season we spent money on Mahrez and Hammond, which amounted to less than a million I would've thought.

It's wages, not transfer fees, where QPR waste vast fortunes.  Wage bill 2012-13 £65m, last year lower but not by that much because they signed so many expensive loans.  The odd £10m-£12m-£20m transfer value of the squad makes little relative difference, especially when spread over the lengths of the contracts.  If you spend more than Borussia Dortmund, you want better than a lucky Championship play-off win.

Just leading up to last February, you can count up to a whopping 27 players that arrived at Loftus Road last season:

http://www.weltfussball.com/teams/queens-park-rangers/2014/6/#redirect

The list features another 27 "outs", yet a large portion of that number consists of loan moves.

The only strategy I can detect here is an attempt at buying the market dry (and doing what the top Premier League teams have been doing for quite a while), so that as a club, QPR possess enough valuable assets (e.g. players) that they then can shift around according to their needs (lowering the wage bill by loaning out players, thus somewhat evading the FFP rules).

As dsr-burnley has pointed out, the wage bill must be massive. Ferdinand comes on a free, but will command a very hefty monthly price to his bank account.

It all depends whether you believe, or not, what is written in Arry's autobiography?

This is all it comes down to.

Redknapp states that the dressing room he inherited when he joined QPR was one of the worst atmosphere's he had ever encountered in his managerial career.

Lots of billy big bollox and players clearly not bothered.

He knew he needed to change things around and quickly. Ultimately, he concedes that he couldn't do this in his first season. The rot had set-in, so to speak.

Can similarities be made here when Pearson inherited Sven's squad of misfits? Pearson too, failed in that first season back, to change the losing mentality.

As far as I can see and read, Redknapp then had to ship out a lot of the 'deadwood' (an oft-used phrase on here) due to their attitude and/or their wages which could not be sustained in the Championship eg. Granero, Samba and bring-in players on less money and with something to play for.

Now, the reality is (and people won't like this), where Pearson failed to take us up in the following season, Redknapp DID take QPR up (albeit in a less impressive way than many thought he would and,for many, should have done).

Now? Well we wait and see.. we have signed, thus far, more than QPR have done (though this could change). What I'm pretty sure of is this... if Redknapp had 'risked' 7.5 million on Ulloa and was linked with Troy Deeney for anything up to 10 million, many on here would be shouting that 'Redknapp is at it again.. wasting money blah-di-blah'. However, for some reason it's ok for us to do this, or potentially to do so?

One final time, I have no love for Redknapp. I have read his book and found it enjoyable. He's almost a caricature of a Cockney geezer, which more than anything else, I find funny

But, I dont like hypocrisy. Where it comes to Redknapp and to QPR, I think there's been a lot of that written.

Col, it won't happen again, Redknapp said that clubs with 18k crowds shouldn't be paying massive wages to players, so they'll now cut their cloth accordingly and be more frugral. No reason to criticise now, all that is in the past, it's a new approach :cool:

It all depends whether you believe, or not, what is written in Arry's autobiography?

This is all it comes down to.

Redknapp states that the dressing room he inherited when he joined QPR was one of the worst atmosphere's he had ever encountered in his managerial career.

Lots of billy big bollox and players clearly not bothered.

He knew he needed to change things around and quickly. Ultimately, he concedes that he couldn't do this in his first season. The rot had set-in, so to speak.

Can similarities be made here when Pearson inherited Sven's squad of misfits? Pearson too, failed in that first season back, to change the losing mentality.

As far as I can see and read, Redknapp then had to ship out a lot of the 'deadwood' (an oft-used phrase on here) due to their attitude and/or their wages which could not be sustained in the Championship eg. Granero, Samba and bring-in players on less money and with something to play for.

Now, the reality is (and people won't like this), where Pearson failed to take us up in the following season, Redknapp DID take QPR up (albeit in a less impressive way than many thought he would and,for many, should have done).

Now? Well we wait and see.. we have signed, thus far, more than QPR have done (though this could change). What I'm pretty sure of is this... if Redknapp had 'risked' 7.5 million on Ulloa and was linked with Troy Deeney for anything up to 10 million, many on here would be shouting that 'Redknapp is at it again.. wasting money blah-di-blah'. However, for some reason it's ok for us to do this, or potentially to do so?

One final time, I have no love for Redknapp. I have read his book and found it enjoyable. He's almost a caricature of a Cockney geezer, which more than anything else, I find funny

But, I dont like hypocrisy. Where it comes to Redknapp and to QPR, I think there's been a lot of that written.

I don't see how you can compare Nigel and Harry and say that Harry did better. They both inherited misfiring squads and struggled to start with, Harry has got his team back to the position they were in when he took over, Nigel improved our position each season and has got us into a much better position. If Harry keeps QPR up then you can say he has done a good job, but until then he has achieved nothing.

I think Caulker is a good signing for QPR and thought he might be one we would be looking at, although he does come of as a bit of a mercenary and will probably be off again should QPR get relegated, he, like Ulloa, is overpriced but that is the nature of trying to build a prem squad. I would also expect Caulker to be on a bigger wage than Ulloa. They are exactly the sort of players us and QPR should be looking at.

The Ferdinand signing however is one that just smacks of typical Redknapp and I'm glad that Nigel isn't swayed by big names coming to the end of their career, as has been previously said Upson is a much better signing as he has just had a full and successful season, there are no doubts over his fitness levels, unlike Ferdinand.

I don't see how you can compare Nigel and Harry and say that Harry did better. They both inherited misfiring squads and struggled to start with, Harry has got his team back to the position they were in when he took over, Nigel improved our position each season and has got us into a much better position. If Harry keeps QPR up then you can say he has done a good job, but until then he has achieved nothing.

I think Caulker is a good signing for QPR and thought he might be one we would be looking at, although he does come of as a bit of a mercenary and will probably be off again should QPR get relegated, he, like Ulloa, is overpriced but that is the nature of trying to build a prem squad. I would also expect Caulker to be on a bigger wage than Ulloa. They are exactly the sort of players us and QPR should be looking at.

The Ferdinand signing however is one that just smacks of typical Redknapp and I'm glad that Nigel isn't swayed by big names coming to the end of their career, as has been previously said Upson is a much better signing as he has just had a full and successful season, there are no doubts over his fitness levels, unlike Ferdinand.

Completely agree with you over Ferdinand. I wouldn't have wanted us to go anywhere near him.

Redknapp brought him through at West Fackin Ham, so clearly knows him and must trust him. Personally, all I now see is a probably highly paid sicknote waiting to happen. Though I imagine, like Upson, he'll be good to have around the club.

Caulker is a quality signing and has no place in the Championship. Wouldn't call him a mercenary as such.

Me neither. 

Possible big future for him, if he can learn off Ferdinand then he will have a good career for club and country, I think. 

QPR today linked with Etoo..another player I wouldnt go near. But also Leroy Fer..a player I do think would be a good signing.

agreed

Imagine the wage Etoo would command. Surely QPR wont go for him. (Then again :rolleyes: ) Leroy Fer would be a really good buy. Looked a decent player last season.

Eto'o at least makes more sense than Ferdinand, he had a decent season for Chelsea, 9 goals in 21 appearances ain't bad including a hat-trick against United, a 1 year deal and used as a super sub/impact player if his goals keep QPR up then he will have repaid the reported 8million Euros in wages.

QPR's problem the last few seasons was not a lack of talent, but a lack of spirit, Nigel has built a team that will fight for each other and acquired players that will fit in with his team.

QPR have a collection of players and they keep on adding to it, rather than building on it. I can't see Eto'o mucking in and helping out when the going gets tough, again I could be wrong, but he has had attitude problems before and I don't see him being a positive influence on the dressing room.

Eto'o at least makes more sense than Ferdinand, he had a decent season for Chelsea, 9 goals in 21 appearances ain't bad including a hat-trick against United, a 1 year deal and used as a super sub/impact player if his goals keep QPR up then he will have repaid the reported 8million Euros in wages.

QPR's problem the last few seasons was not a lack of talent, but a lack of spirit, Nigel has built a team that will fight for each other and acquired players that will fit in with his team.

QPR have a collection of players and they keep on adding to it, rather than building on it. I can't see Eto'o mucking in and helping out when the going gets tough, again I could be wrong, but he has had attitude problems before and I don't see him being a positive influence on the dressing room.

I don't think one of the criticisms that can be hurled at Redknapp is not being able to get players playing for him. He's typically done pretty well wherever he's been. Don't forget that something happened under Pearson, the season before last, which led us to one of our longest unwinning runs in the history of the club. I'm sorry, but it did. We really looked like going up, then blew it.

This season is the test of Redknapp's current credentials. Its now 'his squad', or it will be when it's finalised. Many are saying he's over the hill etc. The coming season will answer that assertion one way or the other. We'll also get to see whether Pearson is cut out as a Premiership manager.

How things stand now, I'd say I like what Pearson is doing more than what Redknapp is doing. But its early days.

Guest MattP

'We can't afford to have players on big wages here"

Samuel Etoo turns up, sometimes I honestly think 'Arry is on a secret wind up and laughing to himself when people fall for it.

It's not Arry I'm on about, it this Nige knows what he's doing business. Based on what ? One Championship title doesn't make you a great premiership manager. I'm not saying Nigel won't be a success but this board will critical of every other manager apart from King Nigel.

The season before last, if you went Barnsley away. You'd certainly wouldn't think Nigel had any kind of football knowledge. One championship title and Nigel the best manager in our history. MON took Leicester up, kept them up and won the league cup on a shoe string budget. I hope Nigel eslcipes him of course but let's stop with this Nigel is so holy and everyone else is shite.

Nobody has said Nigel is a great Premiership manager.

He has earned the right to manage us in the Premier League, only the top top managers are successful year in year out (Jose, Fergie etc).

Even if NP fails, even if we lose the first 10 and he is sacked, he will always have my respect for what he's achieved for the club, he has earned this opportunity to prove himself a worthy Premier League manager.

We might go the way of Cardiff last season, but we might also go the way of Hull...

Stop knocking him and being rather negative before a ball has been kicked please.

I'm sorry are you attempting you compare the achievement of a manager who took over a club in 13th, to one who took over a premier league club with a bigger budget that most of Europe.

Archived