Andy King Power Posted 8 September 2014 Posted 8 September 2014 I see these terms thrown about very often. But when people make mention of those terms, who are they referring to? As far as I know, we've got seven top tier teams, five that are expected to fight for the top 4 (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, and Man United) and two that are not quite there in terms of reputation (Tottenham and Everton.) So when people use these terms, which of the 7 teams misses out on the top 6, and which team comes into the top 8? Or maybe we're too lazy to say Top 7, because it doesn't quite roll off the tongue? A bit picky? Perhaps. Just curious to know.
Dan Posted 9 September 2014 Posted 9 September 2014 Everton I'd imagine. Though I think on Man Utd's current form you've seriously got to question if it's going to be them again. As for top eight - I think that's what everyone outside of the obvious top seven wants to go for, or in more realistic terms - 'eighth'. It's just that 'top eight' sounds better. The gap between seventh and eighth is the biggest in the league by a mile.
veezeeblue Posted 9 September 2014 Posted 9 September 2014 Leicester is the next big team 8th will do just fine
Fox92 Posted 9 September 2014 Posted 9 September 2014 Top 7 - Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Tottenham - it rolls of the tongue and I've been saying "top 7" throughout summer on here. And that's the Premier League. No other team has any hope of winning the division unless they are bankrolled, like Manchester City and Chelsea and consider where they were before that. Yes, they might have won something in their history but they'd have no chance of winning the league without all their money. Our only hope is a top ten finish and a decent Cup run. Shame really, but that's what the Premier League is.
demon_dog Posted 10 September 2014 Posted 10 September 2014 Does a team really have to be bankrolled to win the prem title though. I'm not sure it does, although that seems to be the norm these last few seasons. I recall that we topped the premier league with team built by Martin O'Neill, (although managed by tosser Taylor) that on paper did not cost a lot to assemble. Had MON been in charge we could possibly have remained veritable challengers. Having world best players does not necessarily mean that you will be the best. It simply means you probably massively increase your chances of being in the top 6. Couple of years time we'll be there without spending squillions!
Corky Posted 10 September 2014 Posted 10 September 2014 We aren't going to win the league but we can still achieve things. If we can get established in the top half playing entertaining football and having regular cup runs that'll suit me absolutely fine.
evs_the_fox Posted 10 September 2014 Posted 10 September 2014 Does a team really have to be bankrolled to win the prem title though. I'm not sure it does, although that seems to be the norm these last few seasons. I recall that we topped the premier league with team built by Martin O'Neill, (although managed by tosser Taylor) that on paper did not cost a lot to assemble. Had MON been in charge we could possibly have remained veritable challengers. Topping the league after 8 games and winning the league are two very different things so yes, a team does have to be bank rolled to win it. Arsenal not winning it since 2004 (or the emergence of Abramovich and the Sheikhs) is further proof.
ealingfox Posted 10 September 2014 Posted 10 September 2014 Depending on how different you want to say the 2 leagues are you could point to Atletico winning the Spanish title last year.
Fox92 Posted 10 September 2014 Posted 10 September 2014 Does a team really have to be bankrolled to win the prem title though. I'm not sure it does, although that seems to be the norm these last few seasons. I recall that we topped the premier league with team built by Martin O'Neill, (although managed by tosser Taylor) that on paper did not cost a lot to assemble. Had MON been in charge we could possibly have remained veritable challengers. Having world best players does not necessarily mean that you will be the best. It simply means you probably massively increase your chances of being in the top 6. Couple of years time we'll be there without spending squillions! We wouldn't have won the League though, regardless of being top of the league. Teams have to be bank rolled, yes. The main challengers are generally Manchester City and Chelsea - two teams that have emerged with the most £££ - as I said previously, I'm not doubting their history but they'd be nowhere near the top of the league without their money. Manchester United have dominated the Premier League era, and yes they used a lot of academy players but they still purchased players. I recall Wenger once saying that the difference between him and Ferguson was that Ferguson used to buy a £20million player every summer. I've always admired Wenger because he's the manager that really built teams up, great teams up, without spending a ridiculous amount. Their teams in the mid 90's/late 90's/early 00's were unbelievable. Now look at them, they haven't won the league since that great invincible season in 2004. Chelsea have won it three (or four) times since then - since Roman pumped in his millions - and Manchester City have won it twice since then too. Again, the team spending the most. Look at Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United purchases this season and it's ridiculous. So, yeah, I go back to my previous comment and I do think that teams need to be bankrolled to win the League. We've got some big clubs in this Country - Everton, Villa, Tottenham - and teams that have won the top division before - Huddersfield, Derby, Wolves - but will these teams ever do it again? No. Not unless they are bankrolled. As I said, it's a shame. A massive shame. About time the Premier League was demolished now and we go back to Divisions 1, 2, 3 and 4.
fazzyfox Posted 13 September 2014 Posted 13 September 2014 Traditionally I used to think 8th was a position there for the taking for a big club such as Newcastle with their ticket income or an eventually settled down Villa but in recent times it's the likes of Swansea and Southampton who have shown they can achieve it. We should aim our model and philosophy to be pitched at the latter two rather than the likes of Palace, whether we get there and achieve that is another matter but to come up and play good confident stuff has been proved possible by these two. You then naturally attract interest for your better players from those above or from abroad so the position of 8th becomes difficult to attain consistently as teams need to rebuild but as I've said I don't believe there's anything that Swansea do / have done that isn't attainable by ourselves. The likes of Hull and Stoke have invested in solid reliable players that could take them close but perhaps our momentum and winning mentality from last season can be worth something extra and give us an edge.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.