Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

What is the best way to manage our squad?

Change a winning team  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best philosophy in the Prem

• Never change a winning team
    • Play the rotation game
    • A few "Untouchables"
    • Always play your best team

I dont get paid enough, to think and worry. NP does so how he manages the team, is alright with me.

No points to make, no he should, try this or that, or why is this player, or that player..blah de blah.

NP sees, coaches this squad of players as a whole ,we only see them once a week and only in part.

Hes in control, hes got it under control, he and his squad will slip up now and again, but this guy cant be 'second thought'

He knows its just a start, uphills to endure, consistency and rythm to target.

We've just seen the trees and rams, we've left that level behind, tonight shown the 1st grade to reach for, teams around our level. Hull and West Ham turned out a typical PL style performances.

I have seen a number comments in different threads, and I'm pretty sure we had the same discussion last season and the conclusion was never change a winning team, but this season is different:

We are in the Premiership

We have a bigger squad

The quality in the squad is better

The variety in the squad is greater

The quality of the opposition is higher

We play fewer games

So what is the best way to manage our squad.

We know Pearson likes to keep a settled line up, but to what extent, I have seen people say that Hamer should keep his place for United even if Kasper is 100% fit. There has been a lot of talk about Hammond and King and Nugent, when we have Vardy, Cambiasso, Drinkwater and James all looking to get into the first team. We have signed players like Simpson, Lawrence, Powell, Albrighton how will they integrate themselves into the first team if they don't get a look in until someone gets injured/suspended/plays crap.

The way I see it is there are 3 main philosophies:

1. Never change a winning side/never drop someone after a good game. This has been Pearson's philosophy for the last few years, but things have changed in the Prem, we don't have the luxury of giving the new players time to adapt to our system and we will need to be at our very best in every game. There are also fewer games which means less chance of fatigue and more time to develop certain plans in training. The championship was very much games thick and fast and there wasn't much time to prepare a different line up for every game. We were also the best team in the championship, so a last minute change here or there wouldn't affect us as much. That is not the case any more. 

So what other approach is there.

2. Squad rotation, picking different players for different games, we see it very often utilised by the bigger sides, keeping players fresh and making changes for tactical reasons, or just for the sake of it. It doesn't always work, Rodgers leaving out Sterling against Villa was a big mistake in hindsight. Many teams rotate in the Prem including their best players, such as Liverpool and Sterling, Swansea and Bony, sometimes it is just because they have no idea what their best team is, it is probably no surprise that QPR are Palace have made a lot of changes to their starting line up this season, and I think we know how well they are doing.

3. The other option is the Mourinho style of having his untouchables, those players that will start every game when fit and then he will rotate players around them and give everyone game time, keep everyone fresh. This approach keeps players fit and fresh and happy without disrupting the core of the team, it also means that the opposition never know exactly which combination of players they will be facing and allows him to set-up tactically to combat certain strengths or expose certain weaknesses in the opposition. It also motivates players to know that they can reach untouchable status if they play well enough.

I think it is probably clear which one I favour, but I will add my comments later, I would be interested to see what everyone else thinks.

Edit: I've added a fourth option, and that is to always pick your best players when they are fit, so even if someone like Hammond or Hamer has been playing well when the injured person they replaced comes back into contention they immediately return to the line up.

Well thought out post, but a thought on you last option-4th.

Who with this start and with newly signed, and rejuvinated players, Who are our best players???

Last season has gone, I am sure NP says, we start anew, prove you are up to it.

Drinkwater, as had that luck. The back four, with 3 players doubted by many have turned up for this PL season.

Vardy still not had enough time to show his potential.Knockky still awaiting a good bite at that cherry.

Mahrez, Nugent, Schlupp, hot and cold.

Question on best team, will not be answered, from opinions on last season, it stills stands to be proved.

I guess as norm,it will take until december before we get an inkling.

Another question still open, how long or how many games will James need to get up to scratch, and impact a game , I doubt

it will be immediate.Yes we all hope and dream that Cambiossa, Drinkwater, James, Mahez or Knocky, become our untouchables, but at the moment that is all it is.

Interesting to see always play your best team in the lead.

I don't think we know our best team yet, I find that this approach is fine as long as you don't get a couple of injuries or loss of form, at the same time, bringing in 2 or 3 players who have been watching on the sidelines all season could upset the balance of the side.

A few people voted for the Untouchables, so who would they be in the current squad?

Schmeichel, Morgan and Ulloa so far this season and Drinkwater, based on last season, for me.

Stupidity aside (I know, right :rolleyes: ) surely it has to be option 4, your best team, which could result in any of the above three at different points in the season due to form, fitness and bookings.

Bingo: option 4, but the way you describe it not Captain's your 11 best players...

I think Moore has to be there too doesn't he?

I think he's first choice at the moment but if he gets suspended and Was comes in and bosses it then I could see Was keeping his place, if it was the same situation, but with Morgan then Morgan walks back into the team after suspension.

Archived