Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
harwich fox

How many Leicester Man U fans..

It is the last act of a factually bankrupt person to appeal to emotion like this, especially while patting yourself on the back for being so upstanding and stoic in the face of "rudeness","arrogance",and "unpleasantness". I have consistently and exclusively addressed every point made against my position and explained why your ideas are flawed. Whether or not you feel upset about my delivery is quite irrelevant. If you feel belittled, it is because you are beginning to recognise that you have got it wrong.

This might be why you have now reduced your claim to the completely redundant and banal statement that "there are different types of fan within the umbrella definition we already have". Good luck finding somebody to debate that assertion with; let's not pretend that we have been arguing about whether or not all "fans" are the same all this time.  Your argument has not changed in the way you say it has. You have just made your argument more terminologically similar to the textbook No True Scotsman example. You have personally decided that fans with certain characteristics are not "true" fans, and semantically that part of your argument has not changed at all.

Again, to use the analogy in the link I sent you and implore you to read again, it is like saying "well all I am saying is that not all Scotsmen are the same". Obviously! But the phrase "true Scotsman" is a conclusion based on characteristics that are irrelevant to Scottishness, and the very nature of the word "true" refers specifically to authenticity. And the same goes for "true fan" - "true" is based on criteria that are incidental to the definition of "fan" and entails a claim about authenticity based on irrelevant factors. You are wrong and you should rejoice at learning something rather than moan about being offended and refusing to accept that black is not white.

Not only that, but why you get to decide what constitutes "true" fandom and what constitutes "plastic" fandom? Other than your own arbitrary personal biases, what can you possibly offer in the way of support for such a claim? For somebody who is apparently gravely upset by "arrogance", isn't your presumptuousness and sanctimony in telling other people whether you deem them to be true fans or not the absolute embodiment of hypocrisy?

Apologies for all the quote marks; not my usual style of writing I must say.

I'm simplifying as much as possible to try and stay on topic. If you want to continue this debate I'm going to need you to shrink your posts down too. Too much of your response is wasted on asserting your superiority rather than making a point.

I'm intrigued by this line: "let's not pretend that we have been arguing about whether or not all "fans" are the same all this time." Because that is exactly what I think - not all fans are the same.

Here's an analogy that I think explains it fairly well. A man who cooks for his wife, looks after her and works hard would be considered a 'good' husband. A man who does do those things would be considered a 'bad' husband. They would both be husbands of course but their value would not be thought of as equal.

Isn't it really down to the emotional impact the club's fortunes have on you? If you're upset/pissed off when we play badly, if you're elated when we win, if most of your mood for the weekend depends on how Saturday afternoon (or Sunday 1pm :P) goes, then you're a fan, whether you're in Melbourne, Manchester, Leicester or wherever. When you first see Mahrez run with the ball and think "we've found one here", or when Cambiasso plays for the first time and confirms he hasn't lost it, or when you've put four goals past Derby again, and that buzz just lifts you all week, you don't get that for clubs you dabble with. That's all it is as far as I'm concerned...

Isn't it really down to the emotional impact the club's fortunes have on you? If you're upset/pissed off when we play badly, if you're elated when we win, if most of your mood for the weekend depends on how Saturday afternoon (or Sunday 1pm :P) goes, then you're a fan, whether you're in Melbourne, Manchester, Leicester or wherever. When you first see Mahrez run with the ball and think "we've found one here", or when Cambiasso plays for the first time and confirms he hasn't lost it, or when you've put four goals past Derby again, and that buzz just lifts you all week, you don't get that for clubs you dabble with. That's all it is as far as I'm concerned...

I can't believe we're even having this discussion right now.  The idea that a club like Leicester has 'fake' fans is very idiot - Can we get a rain check on this convo for 3 years' time when we've spent 180 billion and come 3rd in the League?

Of course you're right, but the question here is how 'true' to Leicester City a person would be if they got the buzz you've described when we won, and upset when we lost, but ALSO gained an equivalent buzz from Manchester United winning, and equally pissed off when Manchester United - or Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Man United - lost. The difference between a fan devoted to Leicester City, and one devoted to Leicester City plus another bigger, more successful club.

Both are fans, but most people would draw a distinction between the two.

A mate of mine works down the club,reckons they are concerned about the amount of Man U fans that may be in home areas so if they openly support them they will be removed immediately to difuse the situation.

Best news ever if they carry it out.

They should also ban them from buying tickets again and if a season ticket holder bought them then ban that holder from buying spare ticket.

Archived