Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
harwich fox

How many Leicester Man U fans..

Im a Leicester fan living in Cork City Ireland for the last 40 years. Im surrounded by the usual Chelsea/Liverpool/Utd fans.I will support Leicester inside in pubs full of these fans with my Leicester top on.

Half the city know me because of who I support..Leicester have defined my life/shaped my personality and its being one hell of a ride.

Am I less of a fan because I live outside Leicester ..I don't think so.

.Am I less of a fan because I also have a fond interest in Glasgow Celtic...No.

Its possible to combine the two ,quite easily

Roll on Sunday

Exactly, and I assume that you don't feel the need for violence against each other when celebrating your teams goal.

Can't understand why it should "kick off" between opposing fans.

Mindless!

I've always respected United as a club, Ferguson and the youth policy (thanks for that). Scholes (probably) my favourite ever non Leicester player, can definitely see the appeal of the club for 'supporters' who don't feel strongly about their local club. Obviously winning everything under the sun countless times probably makes it easier for these 'yeah but my uncles mates dog was born in Manchester so obviously I support United' people.

I like a bunch of teams in that I'd rather they win than other teams. I also throw rocks at imaginary elves in the park so YMMV.

Agreed, I have plenty of teams I like to see win and plenty I like to see lose but I don't support or actually hate any of them, I'd like to see Fulham back in the Premier League, always liked Everton and disliked Liverpool, don't like Arsenal or F*rest either.

I Couldn't disagree more i don't understand how you could have a soft spot for another club, maybe its because i despise Liverpool so much but each to there own i guess, but In my eyes i'm loyal to one club always have been and always will be there is no compromise.The thing i find interseting is that when fans simlar to yourself say they have a soft spot for another team its never a Southend or a Doncaster its always a club with a big history of success

There is quite a big and obvious reason why someone doesnt have a soft spot for a smaller team. When I was younger I, like many others, dreamt of being a footballer. I wanted to be play for the best teams, not the likes of southend or Doncaster, with no disrespect to them. You then look for role models to follow, some of who happened to play for liverpool. You then start to follow liverpool, learn how the top footballers play football, a team you aspire to play for and from doing this you start to develop a soft spot for them, who whether by hook or by crook helped you play and get better at football.

I've got a soft spot for a lot of clubs but I just can't bring myself to care about big teams that win all the time. It's rather boring to me. I guess the biggest team that I even remotely care about is either Juventus or Dortmund (Celtic lol) and I literally only care about them in the aspect of, if I'm flipping through channels and they are on I will watch.

Makes the Champions League excruciatingly boring to me once the Malmos and SK Treblinka Kangerkaiserhopperuses of the world are knocked out

Come to think of if that is what I'm trying to do. Ok, I'll come at this from a different angle.

There are two types of fan - the plastic and the real one. The real fan actively participates in the club whereas the plastic attaches themselves to a club they have no real link to. Having built strong ties to a club from their experiences the real fan can be said to 'belong' at a club. The plastic, having no strong ties whatsoever, should be viewed very much as an outsider.

Everything I said previously was correct. I just needed to change the terminology I was using to fit the definitions of the words we have. It's a fairly trivial activity as it doesn't alter the content of the argument but thanks for helping me out with it all the same.

EDIT: I also see football fans and music fans differently as I'm sure would most people. Participation and less so reciprocation is, in my opinion, part of being a football fan.

lol  lol  Sorry but I have to invoke Poe's Law on this one. Have you read the link I offered you regarding the No True Scotsman Fallacy? Here's the definition:

"In this form of faulty reasoning one's belief is rendered unfalsifiable because no matter how compelling the evidence is, one simply shifts the goalposts so that it wouldn't apply to a supposedly 'true' example. This kind of post-rationalization is a way of avoiding valid criticisms of one's argument."

Sound familiar?

Surely you must see how logically inept you're being? There are thousands of different options that exist between the two elements of your false real/plastic fan dichotomy. It doesn't matter how many of these permutations I give to you; you will just carry on doing what you're doing, i.e altering or tightening the criteria by which somebody can be a "fan" until the proposed scenario is excluded from your definition, and only people who behave like you do are in the "real" category.

You're fast becoming my favourite poster even though I don't have a clue what you're on about lol

I think he's been on here before he seems to understand and join in on our type humour too much for newbie, who could he be?

Think there's a huge difference between being a Leicester based Man Utd and Leicester fan than someone like me from York who has supported Leicester since my uncle took me to my first game when I was a kid, but also a decent fan of York.

When I wasn't old enough to travel down to Leicester on my own I had a season ticket at York and really enjoyed going. I've been to Wembley with them three times now and was nearly as nervous as I was at Forest a couple of seasons ago when York played in the playoff final.

I'd want Leicester to beat York all day long whatever the competition, but you can definitely be a fan of more than one team without being a ****.

Quite right. People are getting confused over two things:

1. The difference between liking something and being a fan, or a devotee, of it. I like cheese on toast but I don't get emotional about it. Similarly I prefer Liverpool to Chelsea or Manchester United, but I've never been a fan. And I look out for the results of Colchester, Koln and Levante because they're places I used to live, but they're not my teams.

2. That a person can be a fan of more than one thing at the same time. Of course a person can support Leicester and York, though don't expect long-suffering York fans to feel you're in the same boat as they are, with your League Cup Finals and Premiership adventures, while they wallow miserably in the lower leagues. Equally, if you're a Leicester and a Chelsea fan, don't expect people to consider you as true a Leicester fan as the rest. Because while we endure whole decades of unabated misery, you've had a few titles and a Champions League to celebrate!

Ultimately people resent Leicester/Man United fans for one key reason. In all but a tiny minority of cases, the support for Man U is a lazy option, taken up by people who don't have the patience that we do to wait for something good to happen to Leicester City.

There'll be a few, I'm sure - but this game sold out to members, so probably not that many. Can't even believe we're having this discussion, we're not MK Dons FFS.

Also the fans in their end will definitely be long-standing Man Utd fans...you can't get a ticket in one of their away ends without a decent away attendence record.

Let's just hope for a good game.

The club should throw out and ban any fan celebrating a utd goal anywhere in the ground except the away area.

Also check out who bought the ticket and if a season ticket holder has supplied the ticket ban them too.

City tickets for City fans not wankers in red

Remember watching the Barcelona United Champions League final years back in York. Me and a group of friends who all despise Utd. When cheering the Barca win at the final whistle the United fans near us told us to "Fvck off back to Spain". Oh the irony.

Don't ever understand this attitude, Id always back any English team over some foreign muck!

BigJohnSteader? Although I never found many of his posts funny

TBJS is/was hilarious, IMO. Chug Laguna makes me laugh a lot, but so far seems to have refrained from mentioning anything rectal/vaginal/septic discharge related/felching. Also no Office quotes yet as far as I can tell, I don't think it's TBJS

I have no idea who Chug is but he's brilliant

Where abouts? I'll do a shit on his doorstep!

Just a mate of mine. TBF he shares a home ST with someone else.

I know a few genuine united fans from Coalville, all good guys and all go to games. (some on a ST)

That's why I can't stand Liverpool so much I think. I know far more of their 'fans' locally and not one has a ST or to my knowledge makes a game.

lol  lol  Sorry but I have to invoke Poe's Law on this one. Have you read the link I offered you regarding the No True Scotsman Fallacy? Here's the definition:

"In this form of faulty reasoning one's belief is rendered unfalsifiable because no matter how compelling the evidence is, one simply shifts the goalposts so that it wouldn't apply to a supposedly 'true' example. This kind of post-rationalization is a way of avoiding valid criticisms of one's argument."

Sound familiar?

Surely you must see how logically inept you're being? There are thousands of different options that exist between the two elements of your false real/plastic fan dichotomy. It doesn't matter how many of these permutations I give to you; you will just carry on doing what you're doing, i.e altering or tightening the criteria by which somebody can be a "fan" until the proposed scenario is excluded from your definition, and only people who behave like you do are in the "real" category.

I've continued with the same basic idea throughout: people who are uninvolved with a club should be viewed differently to those who are. That's it. The one change I made was to alter the terms I was using for the two groups so as to meet your criticisms. The content of my argument remains the same. I haven't moved the goalposts because the two groups I defined at the start are the same ones I'm going with now. It's only the names that are different.

I've explained my 'involved/uninvolved' view enough times now and I'm yet to see you actually challenge it.

I have a confession to make here. Until the age of about 11 or 12 I supported united. Making no bones about it, it was because I was watching them on TV and they were doing very well at the time.

Then I went to my first few games at city (my dad is a longtime tigers season ticket holder and has no interest in football so he never took me when I was younger). After a few tastes I got a real buzz that we all get from going to the game and I was hooked. Through highs and lows there's nothing like following your team and I was a convert from then on.

And I'm so happy I was converted. I feel sorry for armchair supporters who have never felt that unique buzz of following your team home and away.

I think supporting two teams at a similar level is too conflicting but you can certainly follow another team's fortunes and wish them well. Including my missus I have a number of Liverpool supporting friends (I'm aware some can be arseholes like most big clubs) and wish them well. Living here we get to a few games too and she comes along to Leicester home and away because we love live football.

As long as you're not a bellend about it I'd say live and let live really.

Archived