Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Nugents performance today

Either he's just really low on confidence, which his body language suggests, or he can't hack the pressure and isn't a PL player. I really want him to do well but he's getting to me now. Clever football brain, makes good runs, but not much else so far this season.

When we have a run of poor performances let's look for a fall guy, it used to be Wellens now it seems to be Nugent. I thought we played much better when Vardy and Nugent came on, Nugent is relentless in his work rate chasing balls down yes a few of his crosses didn't find anyone but that might just be poor movement or lack of numbers in the box. I think it's absurd to have a rant about Nugent and those who do ought to get a grip.

Perhaps some of the comments have been a bit OTT on here, but what has Nugent offered this season other than scoring one penalty?

He's by no means a bad player, but I think we need better quality coming off the bench. Last season his final ball/shot was very erratic, but that was fine because he'd have plenty more opportunities to get it right in the match. This season that just doesn't cut it.

Perhaps some of the comments have been a bit OTT on here, but what has Nugent offered this season other than scoring one penalty?

He's by no means a bad player, but I think we need better quality coming off the bench. Last season his final ball/shot was very erratic, but that was fine because he'd have plenty more opportunities to get it right in the match. This season that just doesn't cut it.

That’s like saying what has Vardy contributed apart from one goal. Surely you realise that there is more to being a forward than just scoring goals?

I think it would help people if they realised that Nugent's role in the team  is a lot more similar to Andy King's than Ulloa or Vardy's. He's an advanced midfielder NOT a 'striker'.

If we only play one up front (Ulloa or Vardy), then you need a player who can link up with him. For us that’s Nugent, King or maybe Powell.

The problem on Saturday was that Drinky/James/Cambiasso are all too similar players. None of them are attack-minded enough to get up and support Ulloa.

Nugent hasn’t been brilliant this season but he does the spade work which has allowed Ulloa to shine. Without Nugent, Ulloa is isolated and the game passes him by. This is what happened against Burnley.

As I said before, it doesn’t matter what you think about Nugent – but if he’s replaced then he has to be replaced by King or Powell, not Cambiassio or James.

Pearson has always had a blind-spot about central midfield. His persistence with playing King as a defensive midfielder cost us a lot of points a couple of seasons ago. I just hope now that us not playing an attacking “no. 10” midfielder like Nugent or King isn’t going to cost us in the same way.

Nugent is becoming like Heskey was for England. Everyone moans he doesn't score enough, but all our other forwards play better and score more with him in the side.

Agree with that; but I still think that we have to have 2 other forwards in the team (ie not just Ulloa) to score goals.  Vardy (in place of Schlupp) AND Ulloa should start against Swansea without any doubt - possibly with Nugent (in place of Albrighton); though I guess Riyad will probably be Nige's choice.

There are great similarities between Konch and Nugent when it comes to crossing a ball neither are good at it.  Both are looking acceptable in their way in the Premiership but until Nugent realises that he can't pass a ball through to a Leicester player just because he sees him regardless of defenders standing in the way why put him on the wing or in the top of the diamond?  We played a winger from the start if we intended to open the game up and go for it Albrighton would have been better as the substitute. 

This wasn't our best tactical day all round.  Our best attribute is pace and where was it on Saturday ?

Archived