Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

The Isometric PC CRPG Thread.

On 14/11/2016 at 10:54, BigFoxForYou said:

Anyone playing Tyranny? I'm not sure I like it so far, every dialogue option seems to produce an over reaction between the two sides. I've given up trying to go down the middle and bring them together as your character is supposed to.

I have it pre-ordered (well, bought now I suppose) but I'll wait until the new machine arrives to give it a blast.

I've got Tides of Numenera, Div: Orig Sin 2 and Wasteland 3 either to play or ordered as well for the next twelve months! Lots to do!

• 10 months later...

Divinity Original Sin 2 is absolutely world class. 

Brilliant game so far, I'm guessing I'm about 2/3rds through. 

Very good balance of enjoyable, challenging, rewarding and interesting. I'd have to say that it's probably better than Pillars of Eternity in most ways. 

It's riffing a bit off the BG Bhaalspawn story arc but other than that very original, very fresh. 

Recommend heavily to anyone that's played anything else in this thread. 

On 9/21/2017 at 09:42, Finnegan said:

Very good balance of enjoyable, challenging, rewarding and interesting. I'd have to say that it's probably better than Pillars of Eternity in most ways. 

It's riffing a bit off the BG Bhaalspawn story arc but other than that very original, very fresh. 

Yeh, excellent game. The Bishop Alexander fight is a bloody nightmare though. The giant worm appeared and virtually one-shotted my entire party. Tried it a few times and kept failing so maybe I'm crap or my party is badly optimized. In the end I had to drop the difficulty level to get through it.

38 minutes ago, Uranyl Yellow said:

Yeh, excellent game. The Bishop Alexander fight is a bloody nightmare though. The giant worm appeared and virtually one-shotted my entire party. Tried it a few times and kept failing so maybe I'm crap or my party is badly optimized. In the end I had to drop the difficulty level to get through it.

I've had to drop the difficulty a couple of times. My one criticism of the game would be that the difficulty is a little bit fluid. I like a challenge but sometimes even on classic it's really punishing. 

The Alexander fight is a bit pot luck because if you let the magisters live, there's a chance they'll hit the worm for you. But it's a bit random so sometimes you'll get unlucky and the bastards will keep hitting you. 

29 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I've had to drop the difficulty a couple of times. My one criticism of the game would be that the difficulty is a little bit fluid. I like a challenge but sometimes even on classic it's really punishing. 

The Alexander fight is a bit pot luck because if you let the magisters live, there's a chance they'll hit the worm for you. But it's a bit random so sometimes you'll get unlucky and the bastards will keep hitting you. 

Unfortunately, in the tries before I dropped the difficulty I tended to find that both the magisters and the worm focused mostly on my party - the damage from their attacks plus the bloody necrofire aoe from the worm finished me off in short order. I had slightly more luck forcing the magisters to hit the worm by using teleport to drop them next to it, but then the worm would burrow down and reappear next to my people again buggering it all up. Could have done with Slane choosing to help me in that fight rather than just flying over and killing the Shriekers which I could have easily done myself with Braccus's helm. Bloody dragon. Anyway, onto the ship now and I find the Bishop whose bollocks I fried is still alive without even a singed codpiece to show for it.

Yeah but it's okay because you got his loot. :pearson:

Edit: there's a boss fight in a place called the Black Pits that involves you keeping some NPC apprentice alive. That's by far the most annoying battle I've done. 

Wave after wave of these weird flying oil slimes and shit tones of fire everywhere. 

Infuriating. In typical Divinity style I imagine you can let him die and still progress but **** if I was going to let the little bastard ruin my completionism. 

Edited by Finnegan

Yeah this game's classic mode is gruelling.  Been playing for hours and I'm still only just beyond Fort Joy aka crash central which is really my biggest complaint so far - I wanted to hang around the Fort a bit longer to squeeze as much exp. out of it as I could seeing how I was already struggling with the combat (in fairness I made some very poor early-game decisions so a lot of it's on me)  but I gave up and moved on because the game kept crashing on me.

Oh and if anyone's playing as Fane remember to save the game before you start tinkering with your clothes in the middle of town in case of derp: I took my top off to see if it would be better to give it to Lohse and suddenly I had the entire Seekers colony after me - even the other undead who I'd returned their phylactery to instead of smashing it moments earlier as well as all the ungrateful cvnts I'd offered my healer's services to lol 

On 21/09/2017 at 09:42, Finnegan said:

Watched a lot of videos/read reviews on this! 

Looks really good but a little overwhelming! 

9 minutes ago, sk3since03 said:

Honestly, it isn't really that complicated. The stuff about the tactics and the environment and mixing elements for combos and stuff, it's really just common sense and becomes second nature / subconscious after a few turns of your first fight. 

There's a saying in MMOs "don't stand in the fire" / "don't stand in the green stuff." Pretty much all you need to know. If there's an element on the floor you're probably best not standing on it. Oil can be set on fire, fire burns. Water can be charged with electricity, electricity hurts. 

It's turn based so you have plenty of time to think about what you're going to do with your people.

The only way I'd say it requires more thought than any other modern RPG is that it doesn't give you quest markers and stuff like that, you have to talk to people to see if they want anything and you have to actually read quest/mission descriptions and think about them because there won't be big exclamation marks on your map showing you where you have to go (most of the time, some of the very key stuff is marked on your map but most isn't.)

You also start in a prison with no equipment and at level one so you'll learn as you build up, bit by bit, which is handy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yeah this game's classic mode is gruelling.  Been playing for hours and I'm still only just beyond Fort Joy aka crash central which is really my biggest complaint so far - I wanted to hang around the Fort a bit longer to squeeze as much exp. out of it as I could seeing how I was already struggling with the combat (in fairness I made some very poor early-game decisions so a lot of it's on me)  but I gave up and moved on because the game kept crashing on me.

Oh and if anyone's playing as Fane remember to save the game before you start tinkering with your clothes in the middle of town in case of derp: I took my top off to see if it would be better to give it to Lohse and suddenly I had the entire Seekers colony after me - even the other undead who I'd returned their phylactery to instead of smashing it moments earlier as well as all the ungrateful cvnts I'd offered my healer's services to lol 

Once you get to the ship at the end of Fort Joy, you can respec your characters at will.

I thought that sounded a bit cheap at first but actually it's quite handy. It's a magic mirror at the bottom of the boat (you'll know what I mean when you get there.)

I've encountered no crashes and almost no bugs, certainly no bugs that kill quests. A few times it's said the wrong person has their turn or ended combat abruptly but other than that it's been okay. Is your PC a bit shit? I should stress I'm using a pretty new MSI laptop.

Edited by Finnegan

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Once you get to the ship at the end of Fort Joy, you can respec your characters at will.

I thought that sounded a bit cheap at first but actually it's quite handy. It's a magic mirror at the bottom of the boat (you'll know what I mean when you get there.)

I've encountered no crashes and almost no bugs, certainly no bugs that kill quests. A few times it's said the wrong person has their turn or ended combat abruptly but other than that it's been okay. Is your PC a bit shit? I should stress I'm using a pretty new MSI laptop.

I have an R9 290, an i5-4690k and 8gb ram so it's not super up to date anymore and I only have stock fans so I have to accept that I can't play every game at max settings or else the GPU will fry after about half an hour but that being said it's not the most demanding game and I've been running it on ultra with no problems now that I'm beyond the fort.  I checked out various forums and it turns out other people have had the same issue particularly with combat in that area so it's clearly a quirk of the map more than anything and it probably means I'm in for more crash-friendly areas later down the road but for now we're gucci.

4 hours ago, sk3since03 said:

You get punished for trying to take on fights that you're not properly levelled/equipped for and if you don't pay attention to your journal and the literature you pick up you may well miss some vital clues towards completing a side-quest, hampering your levelling progress which in turn leads into getting raped in battles, so don't expect it to be like most RPGs these days where you just play 'follow the quest marker' and have a backpack full of revive items gathering dust.  But that's what makes it rewarding, definitely worth a try if you have the free time to sink into it.

Edited by Carl the Llama

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

There's a sex scene and it's interactive and I feel violated. 

Abort abort abort. :revenge:

lol Is that part of the main questline or is it something you need to keep an eye out for?

I haven't played in a couple of days, when I left it we'd just got the ship back from the void and were getting ready to finally reach the mainland.  Btw I went back to Fort Joy while I was still on the island having levelled up a little bit and being a higher level and able to breeze through the fights seemed to solve the crashing problem so it's clearly caused by being stuck in a fight in that specific area for too long.  Hopefully there aren't too many places like that in the greater gameworld.

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

lol Is that part of the main questline or is it something you need to keep an eye out for?

I haven't played in a couple of days, when I left it we'd just got the ship back from the void and were getting ready to finally reach the mainland.  Btw I went back to Fort Joy while I was still on the island having levelled up a little bit and being a higher level and able to breeze through the fights seemed to solve the crashing problem so it's clearly caused by being stuck in a fight in that specific area for too long.  Hopefully there aren't too many places like that in the greater gameworld.

If you thought Fort Joy was bad, you're in for a whole new world of pain on the mainland. To think I was whinging about the Bishop Alexander fight...

2 hours ago, Uranyl Yellow said:

If you thought Fort Joy was bad, you're in for a whole new world of pain on the mainland. To think I was whinging about the Bishop Alexander fight...

Not really seen much action since I left the island... actually that's a lie I went to a field with a friendly scarecrow in it and the scarecrow turned out not to be friendly and also 4 levels higher than me and also with 5 or 6 other scarecrows so that was bad.  Otherwise I've mostly been talking to people in driftwood and inspecting smelly fish barrels, none of which had a tinkerer in them so I slayed 2 magisters and the chief of the fishery for nowt lol 

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 1

And as soon as I said that I went downstairs in the fish place.  If you haven't been, do so, it's essentially a free level up in a room and a couple of badass weapons. :schmike:

Btw I heartily recommend picking up a bed-roll if you've not done so yet, using it heals all of your party so you'll never go into a battle missing health and you don't have to stand around for ages letting your heal spells cool down.

Edited by Carl the Llama
Just checked the weapons, they weren't actually as good as what I already had despite their rune slots :( Still, free level up

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

And as soon as I said that I went downstairs in the fish place.  If you haven't been, do so, it's essentially a free level up in a room and a couple of badass weapons. :schmike:

Btw I heartily recommend picking up a bed-roll if you've not done so yet, using it heals all of your party so you'll never go into a battle missing health and you don't have to stand around for ages letting your heal spells cool down.

Yeh, been down there and nabbed the weapons. There is another fight where you can get an easy ~50K of experience. Essentially there's this dead crucified witch flying around who wants to steal your 'shining lights'. If you do the fight properly I imagine it would be a bloody nightmare as the first time I met her she instantly one-shotted my entire party, but if you have a character with a teleport spell...well maybe I shouldn't spoil it, and perhaps you want to fight her normally anyway

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Not really seen much action since I left the island... actually that's a lie I went to a field with a friendly scarecrow in it and the scarecrow turned out not to be friendly and also 4 levels higher than me and also with 5 or 6 other scarecrows so that was bad.  Otherwise I've mostly been talking to people in driftwood and inspecting smelly fish barrels, none of which had a tinkerer in them so I slayed 2 magisters and the chief of the fishery for nowt lol 

This post is Divinity in a nutshell. lol

Regards the sex scene: the whole thing is awful and crowbarred in for no real reason. There'd been some overly emo dialogue options during Lohse's personal quest but nothing compulsory and I'd genuinely avoided any mushy shit. 

Then there's this moment between Nameless Isle and Arx (you'll see) where you basically pick a party member to go below deck with. I laughed, it's between Lohse, Ifan and Beast so yknow, easy choice. I go along with it because I'm expecting some Bioware style fade to black and a buff or some XP or something. 

What I get is basically what Community take the piss out of with Annie. Tabletop rpg erotica. It's just the most cringeworthy, awkward experience I've ever had playing a game. You actually have to click on dialogue options like "ask her for more." Then you've got the narrator reading out everything you're doing in that voice that suddenly now seems dirty as hell. 

I'm no prude but honestly a bit scarred. Thank **** I was playing alone. 

You get nothing for it. Honestly, when you reach this moment, pick the option about wanting to be alone. 

Once you leave Fort Joy (which i have to do), can you travel back and forth at will to complete quests etc? 

Really enjoying it so far, i’m holding back stealing at the moment, trying to play the honest good guy,  but some of the vendors have some very tempting items to nab! 

Also, Has anyone nanaged to open the secret chest under the waterfall ? I’ve tried teleporting and finding the ‘secret passage’  that pops up but no luck 

46 minutes ago, sk3since03 said:

Once you leave Fort Joy (which i have to do), can you travel back and forth at will to complete quests etc? 

Really enjoying it so far, i’m holding back stealing at the moment, trying to play the honest good guy,  but some of the vendors have some very tempting items to nab! 

Also, Has anyone nanaged to open the secret chest under the waterfall ? I’ve tried teleporting and finding the ‘secret passage’  that pops up but no luck 

Once you leave a major hub you don't go back. 

But even the most hardcore of completionists should probably accept that Divinity is definitely a repayable game and you more than likely won't do everything in every save. A lot of the time, you'll find quests that just aren't compatible anyway or that you killed a guy you needed for one etc. 

Just move on when you're ready really. 

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Once you leave a major hub you don't go back. 

But even the most hardcore of completionists should probably accept that Divinity is definitely a repayable game and you more than likely won't do everything in every save. A lot of the time, you'll find quests that just aren't compatible anyway or that you killed a guy you needed for one etc. 

Just move on when you're ready really. 

I’m already thinking of my next playthrough lol

5 hours ago, sk3since03 said:

The one with the rainbow over it? As far as I remember I just teleported the chest (it was either that or my character with high telekinesis got it). I don't remember there being anything massively remarkable in it.

Did anybody else fight that sourceress in the tomb filled with petrified grave robbers in act 2's cemetery?  Talk about a spawny fight lol  It didn't help that it took me until 2 of my party members had fallen to notice that I'd accidentally left Ifan and all his ranged damage back at the crypt with the terracotta soldiers...

44 minutes ago, Uranyl Yellow said:

The one with the rainbow over it? As far as I remember I just teleported the chest (it was either that or my character with high telekinesis got it). I don't remember there being anything massively remarkable in it.

Yes thats the one, ive tried teleporting it/my squad over but cant seem to select it