Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

The Isometric PC CRPG Thread.

... ever so slightly niche, possibly. The thread for anyone who thinks no proper Fallout game can be an FPS console port and that Dragon Age is a rubbish WoW clone that should have been made with the Infinity Engine instead. The thread for people who think consoles should stick to sports sims and beat em ups and that any game with less than 30 hours of story is a complete rip off.

Probably going to end up just being me and Trav Le Bleu. But that's okay.

I know there's a few IWD/BG/Torment/Fallout fans out there (or at least, people born before 1989 who actually know what those are) so has anyone on here backed a kickstarter project and has it been released yet? Maybe someone got a recent Enhanced reboot and has ditched fifa to sink 75 hours in to it? Or maybe getting down with the glossy new Divinity?

I've backed Pillars of Eternity and recently played the beta. It's from the makers of IWD (and ironically FNV) and is the spiritual successor to the BG series. BG levels of story and immersion with IWD tactical combat. Out in march, can't wait.

In the meantime I've just got Wasteland 2 and it's ****ing brilliant. The original Wasteland was the 1980s inspiration for the original Fallout games and, in many ways, Wasteland 2 is almost the REAL Fallout 3. Fantastic so far.

So, uh, just me talking gibberish to myself or any takers?

Edited by Finnegan

Get yourself a pre order for Pillars of Eternity, I promise you won't be disappointed. It lacks the d&d rule set because they couldn't afford the licence on a kickstarter project but in game play terms that makes very little difference.

They've added more "moves" for melee combat classes to make things more interesting but other than that it feels much the same.

It's got tonnes of the creative team from Black Isle involved, an engine that's more or less Infinity and they've built an enormous original world. If you buy it and don't love it I personally promise to compensate you with a pint. It's going to be amazing.

In the meantime, have you looked up Divinity Original Sin?

Must get Wasteland 2 some time, thanks for reminding me.

Has anyone ever played any of the Spiderweb games such as Avernum or Geneforge - worth checking out.

If you like classic CRPGs a good place to check out is http://www.gog.com/

Is Divinty anything to do with Divine Divinity? I've still got that lying around somewhere but was never able to get into it.

Years ago I got Ultima 7, but it ran so fast it was unplayable on the machine I had - GoG release versions of these games that will run on modern machines without this happening.

I'll give a shout out to Arcanum. Like all Troika games it's a very flawed gem, but it's got one of the best character systems, every character you make can play very differently. The setting is fantastic, your typical fantasy world but currently going through an industrial revolution. The Orcs are no longer the bane of humanity, they staff the factories owned by the Gnomes. The whole conflict between technology and magic is great and has an effect on gameplay like healing spells not working on high tech characters.

The flaws come from the combat system. It was originally supposed to be turn based, and as we know anything not turn based it mere popamole shit, but the publishers wanted to include a real time option to try and cash in on the popularity of Diablo. The encounter designs aren't great either and you'll get PTSD from the dreaded black mountain clan mines.

It's definatley worth it for the setting, character system and the fallout like quest design though but you need plenty of patience. 

Oh and for the love of god don't play a tech character on the first play through unless you're going for a grenadier build!

Can't sell Wasteland 2 enough. Fantastic game so far, I think I've about hit half way and I'm about 70 odd hours in.

It's made me laugh out loud plenty and my girlfriend hates it more than football manager, if that's not a ringing endorsement I don't know what is.

For anyone that's played FNV (I know, I'm a hypocrite) it's basically the song Big Iron in a game.

I bought wasteland 2 and while it was ok, I didn't finish it and don't particularly want to. I understand the lead designer has spent a lot of time writing point and click adventure games and that definitely showed through with some good written dialogue and descriptive text. Otherwise it was just boring.

The first Dragon Age game and Fallout New Vegas are probably the best RPGs I've played.

I bought wasteland 2 and while it was ok, I didn't finish it and don't particularly want to. I understand the lead designer has spent a lot of time writing point and click adventure games and that definitely showed through with some good written dialogue and descriptive text. Otherwise it was just boring.

The first Dragon Age game and Fallout New Vegas are probably the best RPGs I've played.

DB11? You're a mod in here? Sort this child out! Can you van ban people from a thread?!

Dragon Age, best rpg? Mind boggles!

DB11? You're a mod in here? Sort this child out! Can you van ban people from a thread?!

Dragon Age, best rpg? Mind boggles!

I thought it was decent, and it's pretty much the same engine as infinity, just with updates. It does a lot right in terms of gameplay and storyline with graphics that strike a balance between functional and enjoyable.

Torment is the greatest game of all time. Anyone who disagrees is just wrong.

You want to get yourself a pledge / pre-order for Torment: Tides of Numenera.

It's due at the end of this year and is from the same super group of old designers behind Pillars of Eternity (BG/IWD spiritual successor) and Wasteland 2 (literal successor to Wasteland and spiritual successor to Fallout 1&2.)

Using the Unity engine and Kickstarter, same as the above. It's one of the most backed projects in Kickstarter history and with a lot of key lead staff from the original Torment.

Should be spectacular. Definitely be worth your money.

• 1 month later...

Piled up 30 hours of Pillars of Eternity since Thursday and it's been well worth the wait. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface but I'm probably between a quarter and a third through.

Unbelievably good game, everything it promised to be.

Absolute must for any of the Baldurs Gate series fans on here.

What's your PC specs like? My PC is quite old (duo-core tech) so I'm always weary of buying new games. It seems to me though it doesn't look that hugely different from the original games, so maybe my older machine could cope? It does do my head in that often a game that doesn't look that much more graphically than a game from 10 years ago (BG is older than that off the top of my head, nearer 15) can require a PC that is Ninja spec.

What's your PC specs like? My PC is quite old (duo-core tech) so I'm always weary of buying new games. It seems to me though it doesn't look that hugely different from the original games, so maybe my older machine could cope? It does do my head in that often a game that doesn't look that much more graphically than a game from 10 years ago (BG is older than that off the top of my head, nearer 15) can require a PC that is Ninja spec.

My specs aren't much better than yours although I have a decent 3gb graphics card. It runs it more than capably. Bear in mind this is the infinity engine and its effectively running in 2d with pre rendered '3d/2.5d' backgrounds. ITa beautiful though. That said if someone told you just looking at it, it was 3 or 4 years old, you'd believe it

I do fairly regularly have some very long waits on loading screens though? Anyone else encountered this? There is a fairly major patch due out today.

I'm a completionist too so I'm expecting a lot of time to have been logged by the finish. I've not even finished act I yet since I want to get everything done

There is a lot of reading. If you don't like reading, lore and genuine choice and impact on the story - give it a miss.

Check using http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/

• 2 weeks later...