ktfox59 Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 just a couple of little giggles there mate. morgan and konch in top section? But views are subjective, so ok with me. Rest is spot on.and on a more serious note. See you put pearson in bottom group. Thats a difficult one tbh.I think, with what funds he may have been given, and honest expectations he is round about as expected.
reynard Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Better than expected Ulloa Wasilewski Hammond (didn't expect him to play at all mind you as I thought we would sign someone better. credit to him) Worse than expected Cambiasso Drinkwater James Morgan (and I wasn't expecting much) Vardy Simpson Wood Moore All the rest as expected which in some cases wasn't much and they haven't let me down.
Finn Claw II Posted 3 February 2015 Author Posted 3 February 2015 Ulloa is an interesting one - I thought he would do okay, for £8m or so I'd want a 10 goal a season striker at least. That said given the service he's done well to get where he has. Dinky, Vardy and Schmeichel are pretty consistently the under achievers it seems. Perhaps the expectations for Konchesky were so low he has out-performed...
Mark Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 With Ulloa it depends what your view was when we signed him. I remember I was firmly in the minority in being keen on the move all along, and as such he's matched expectations for me. Maybe even failed to reach them for long periods. Like almost everybody though, he's had huge ups and very low downs which makes him hard to rate overall. He scored two goals against Manchester United, then was largely useless for weeks on end and still somehow can't fit into our best side in my opinion. We had all summer and all we did was replace pace with no pace, it was never going to have a positive effect long term given how well we defended from the front last season. I'd go as far as saying if we had Ulloa up front last season instead of Vardy we wouldn't have got automatic promotion. Clearly Ulloa is a better finisher but doesn't suit the way we play and we create less chances with him as the main forward, our success rate with target men would be a horrible statistic.
Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Exceeded expectation: Hamer - thought he'd be the new Logan, I trust him far more than Schmeichel. Great commanding and good saves, just needs to work on distribution. Hammond - no glamour, just a great dependable figure in CM. Always digs in. Wasyl - he once headbutted a horse. Schlupp - seems to improve every week, definitely need to keep hold of him. Ulloa - his goal tally versus his attempts is pretty impressive. Can't help but think he'd be on course for 20 this season if we could attack without losing possession 90% of the time Not as expected: Schmeichel - some spectacular saves... Some spectacular errors. Seems to panic easily which is not ideal at this level. Moore - feel unfair writing this as he's still young and will improve but I don't think he's ready for the top flight yet. Drinkwater - considering the season he had last, I thought every man and his dog would be sniffing around come January - but he's not played anywhere near his potential for the large part. Vardy - having a bad season, no hiding from that.
Guest ttfn Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 I had very high hopes for James this season. Others have talked about thinking that Drinkwater might make the England squad but i always felt that James was the more likely. He's not been terrible by any means but nowhere near my expectations. Similarly I think Ulloa has done about as well as I expected - he's probably scored more goals than I thought he would (and despite the fact that they've dried up even if he doesn't score another it wouldn't be a terrible show from him overall) but I find his hold-up play and decision making terribly cumbersome.
LCFCCKEANO Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Most have been around what I expected, the few that haven't are here- Schmeichel- can get away with pure shot stopping in champ, in prem have to be more well rounded, he simply isn't Cambiasso- Great, but I honestly thought he would have a bit more defensively Vardy-Quick but no brain, difference between Prem and Champ, cunted on champ quality Blackett, since then poor, and I have never felt more embarrassed for a player then after Oshea and Brown sat him down like a 5 y/o. Hopefully he'll grow into the prem if we stay up. Drinkwater- Too weak to have any sort of impact in the middle, bullied, and panics when he gets the ball because of this. Moore- too immature, time will come one day Overachievers- Simpson- Very very solid, one of our underrated players Was- Moment he started playing our defence looked 10x better Hamer- very commanding an not as mistake prone as I thought Schlupp- pace to burn, now uses strength and actually tries Hammond- 2nd best cm in the prem for us, holds us together Nugent- started as I expected, now looks like he will actually have an impact As expected(odd ones)- James- Always been our best cm Morgan- too duck footed and slow, doesn't talk well, out of his depth but would be an amazing substitute cb like Wilson at Stoke etc Ulloa- Scores goals, holds ball well, what more is expected Albrighton- Good delivery and not stupid, as expected, good pl player King- goes missing, very good for the big occasion when he shows up Wood- all he does is score, useless at all else
Guest Col city fan Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Most have been around what I expected, the few that haven't are here- Schmeichel- can get away with pure shot stopping in champ, in prem have to be more well rounded, he simply isn't Cambiasso- Great, but I honestly thought he would have a bit more defensively Vardy-Quick but no brain, difference between Prem and Champ, cunted on champ quality Blackett, since then poor, and I have never felt more embarrassed for a player then after Oshea and Brown sat him down like a 5 y/o. Hopefully he'll grow into the prem if we stay up. Drinkwater- Too weak to have any sort of impact in the middle, bullied, and panics when he gets the ball because of this. Moore- too immature, time will come one day Overachievers- Simpson- Very very solid, one of our underrated players Was- Moment he started playing our defence looked 10x better Hamer- very commanding an not as mistake prone as I thought Schlupp- pace to burn, now uses strength and actually tries Hammond- 2nd best cm in the prem for us, holds us together Nugent- started as I expected, now looks like he will actually have an impact As expected(odd ones)- James- Always been our best cm Morgan- too duck footed and slow, doesn't talk well, out of his depth but would be an amazing substitute cb like Wilson at Stoke etc Ulloa- Scores goals, holds ball well, what more is expected Albrighton- Good delivery and not stupid, as expected, good pl player King- goes missing, very good for the big occasion when he shows up Wood- all he does is score, useless at all else Cambiasso hasn't been 'great'.. None of our players have been, This whole Cambiasso and 'great' stuff has been nonsense all season. Great...
HitchinFox Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 For me there are some real disappointments this season - as well as positive surprises. What annoys me are the inconsistent performances by the likes of Konchesky, Morgan, James and Drinkwater. All three have been excellent at times – and downright abysmal at others. Performing below expectations so far:Kasper – Before this season I saw him as our long-term solution. Not so sure now.Morgan – Has found the pace at this level a bit too quick. By that I don't mean his running, but his slow reactions to situations. Drinkwater – Touted as "our Scholes". He isn't. But still learning so hopefully will develop and fulfil potential.Vardy – Relying on lightning pace and effort is fine in the Championship. Very good in flashes but mostly found wanting Moore – Feel a bit harsh to place him here as has not been given too many opportunities to show he's learnt from early mistakes. One for the future. Nugent – Subjective one, this. Purely in this group because I thought he was capable of more. Prove me wrong Nuge. James – Another subjective one. It's not that he's been shite, but I genuinely believed he'd make even more of an impact. Has it in him. Knockaert – I thought he would be one of our key players this season. Even was naive enough to think his style might suit the Prem better than Champs. Still young though!Wood – I this group because I thought we might have used him more as an impact player. Better than expected: Ulloa – Looks like he will end up scoring more than 10 goals in first season in the Premier League. Good return.Hamer – Wasn't expected to be called on this much but has done really well.Was – Brilliant response and has slotted in nicely at this level.Schlupp – Another inconsistent performer but still on the positive side of things for meMahrez – Has he been our best player? Must be close.Albrighton – A funny one. Quite excited when we signed him, then nothing. Wrote him off but now he's back and has been quality. Hammond – Him being here doesn't mean he's been brilliant. Just that I was expecting him to be loaned out. Has been ok. As expected: Konchesky – Some solid performances and some utterly disgusting ones. Which was to be expected. Cambiasso – Has done what I expected him to do. Delaet – Unlike most, it seems, I actually think he hasn't been awful. Has performed as I expected in his first full Premier League seasonKing – Solid. Nothing spectacular but always saw him as a Premier League player. Has proven that.Simpson – Always rated him so no surprise that he has been very good for us.
ADK Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 just a couple of little giggles there mate. morgan and konch in top section? But views are subjective, so ok with me. Rest is spot on. Same here. Morgan and Konchesky BETTER than expected? Blimey.... Morgan was a difficult one. He's been our best defender in many games but also made some costly errors. I thought he'd be in danger of being embarrassed at this level but he reads the game well and blocks a lot of shots. He's got a weakness dealing with whipped in crosses as his agility is quite terrible, I wouldn't mind seeing Huth in if he is fit and motivated but Morgan isn't nearly as bad as he suddenly seems to be being portrayed as. As for Koncheskey, he's been better than I would have expected, defensively he's been quite good despite his relatively advanced age for a fullback. There was the back pass vs West Ham of course. I'd still say he's done well considering I thought he was one of our worst players last season. That doesn't mean I don't think we should have brought in a better left back. and on a more serious note. See you put pearson in bottom group. Thats a difficult one tbh.I think, with what funds he may have been given, and honest expectations he is round about as expected. It's a difficult one but there have been quite a few frustrations. Firstly losing Dyer on a free transfer. I know Dyer is not Ronaldo, but he would have offered guaranteed pace as an impact sub. Then there was the general lack of transfer activity, we seemed to miss out on too many targets and ended up relying on players that were barely good enough last season. Bringing on GTF against Chelsea was embarrassing. We had to effectively throw the league cup game against Shrewsbury. Then there are some strange tactical decisions. We played effectively with a 4-4-1-1 early on, using Hammond to press the ball and being hard to beat with effective counter attacks, Mahrez was fantastic against Arsenal making Sanchez look average. Then we chose a wildcard 4-3-3 with 3 strikers which is the sort of thing you'd expect in league 2 where nobody can pass and the pitch is awful, but actually, against Manchester United it had some logic. After all, we aren't realistically a better footballing team than them. The result was us winning courtesy of a bit of luck. Good, that's fine. But then we persist for the next few games with the same formation of kick and rush, but it's lost it's element of surprise and we look awful and get beaten by teams who are no better than average. Then we go to a 4-4-2 diamond with 4 central midfielders, except we don't have 4 central midfielders who will work in a diamond. "It's the best team we have" bleats Pearson while Mahrez Albrighton and Knockeart look on perplexed. As it turns out the formation is hopeless and we play like San Marino hoping to claim a heroic 0-0, except just like San Marino we lose regardless. Eventually we go back to the 4-4-1-1 that actually worked before and we start to score goals again, but now the confidence has gone and we see a return of Pearson's ability to continue a poor run of form as we go on a frenzy of conceding soft goals. Goalkeeping blunders, own goals, pass backs. It takes a massive slice of luck and a bit of skill from Mahrez to give us an ugly win against Hull. After that the confidence is restored and we are unlucky not to beat Liverpool at Anfield and dominate a poor Villa. I'm not convinced by the selections either. I can understand not dropping your keeper even though Schmeichel was poor and Hamer had a good game against Stoke, it is usually a big risk. But now it appears he is dropping Hamer who has been outstanding for an aged keeper who hasn't played first team football for ages. I can't understand the logic behind this and it could cost us badly. He's also given far too much game time to Vardy who has been hopeless in every game bar the Utd home game. Albrighton has been underused despite playing well especially once Simpson had come in for De Laet. The issue with the Radio and with the fan is somewhat irrelevant yet it doesn't help his image. At the end of the day we shouldn't be bottom of the table and it's looking similar to the season before last where favourable results might save Pearson's job, from this point we really ought to avoid the drop.
Dan Posted 4 February 2015 Posted 4 February 2015 Based on my expectations, I'll say... Over-achievers Ulloa - It would be harsh to not include him in this. It isn't unrealistic that he gets 13 league goals this season and that's quite a return really considering most said they would be happy with ten. In-fact if you include all competitions and the goal at home to Liverpool (which he forced) then he's already in double figures. Bare in mind too his first five games... 5 goals in 5 against teams who were nearly all big sides? That's Aguero/Suarez-esque. Hammond - Solid but unspectacular. Thrives on defensive situations more than we realised. It was easy to not think a great deal of him last year when we were generally on the attack as he's not up to much technically. Hamer - You can't really argue with his clean sheets record as much as I appreciate there's more to a clean sheet than a goalkeeper. Wasilewski - I thought he'd be exposed at this level but he hasn't been at all. He's been our best defender. Under-achievers Drinkwater - I haven't given up on him yet, it will take him time to adapt to this league, but he seems to have gone back to the Drinkwater of old and that isn't in a good way. In his defence, he hasn't really had a good run in the team. Knockaert - Again I put a lot of this down to bad luck, for example others in his position being in form. I did think he'd make more of an impact this year though. Vardy - He's the one who's shocked me most and even more so given his fantastic first game at this level. Since then he's looked every bit a lower league footballer. I think he's quite a defined player, someone who is built around exposing common weaknesses in the Championship but has no real answer to stronger and quicker defenders in this league, without really having the skill or technique to find an alternative. That for me is why he's failed. Schmeichel - I thought he'd win us some games on his own with strings of saves, he has made some, but he hasn't really been the deciding factor in any positive result for us, throw in some of his mistakes and his utter ineptness from set pieces and I think we have ourselves an under-achiever. Disappointing. Nugent - I'm not saying my expectations of him were huge, but for an attacking player he simply doesn't offer nearly enough goal threat, for someone who has been top scorer in every single year he's been here. --------- For me the main problem has been lack of game time for players such as Albrighton & Mahrez, and players who were absolutely key last year simply not delivering in this league.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.