Finn Claw II Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Given there is a fair bit of slatting NP going on at the moment I thought I'd share my expectations vs. how the players have actually played. Top to bottom is how I ranked some of the key positions at the start of the season CB 1. Morgan 2. Upson 3. Moore 4. Was Was has been one of the biggest surprise to me but I did expect a bigger name than Upson to come in. I'm not quite in the calamity Morgan brigade I think our CM doesn't do any sort of job protecting the back 4. CM 1. Cambiasso 2. James 3. Drinkwater 4. King 5. Hammond Hammond has also been far far better than expected and Cambiasso not lynch-pin I thought. Wingers 1. Mahrez 2. Knocky 3. Albrighton 4. Schlupp Again Schlupp has been a revelation. Basically I think it shows I have no idea which players do and which don't adapt to the premier league! While obviously you change the team selection as you work out which players can and can't cut it I doubt many on here would have put Hammond, Schlupp and Was in the team of the season so far. On foxestalk players seem to go from hero to zero and back again in the space of a couple of games, or within a game if you check out the match thread! This is not an excuse for some of NPs team selection but more how hard it must be to pick the right team without the benefit of hindsight.
Dan Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 I'd agree with every one of yours although I'd have had Wasilewski over Moore from the start.
Jimothy Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Seeing as Drinkwater was up for player of the season in the whole division last season, I think his transition to the Premier League has been awful.
Guest MattP Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 I'd agree with every one of yours although I'd have had Wasilewski over Moore from the start.Same. Hence why he started over him last season. We've got a few too many passengers at this level, Schulpp is very hot and cold, King is the cliché of anonymous up here and Drinkwater can't grab games by the neck, Vardy Man U apart has just looked miles out of his depth. Kasper has also found out a Premier league team needs a dominant keeper. We've had some pleasant surprises though; Ulloa has scored goals, Mahrez looks great, Was is fine and Hammond and James have more than held their own as a midfield two.
psychonaut Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Again Schlupp has been a revelation. I wouldnt go that far.. He was diabolical up until the spurs game. He's had a decent run of games but I still feel he could turn into a non league player at any moment. His turn around has been a revelation.
ADK Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 It would be easier to separate into who has surprised me (in a good way) and who has disappointed me Better than expected: Wasilewski Morgan Ulloa James Hammond Simpson Hamer Schlupp Mahrez Koncheskey As expected: Knockeart Albrighton Cambiasso King Lawrence Nugent Moore Schwarzer Kramaric Wood Worse than expected: Schmeichel De Laet Drinkwater Vardy Pearson
cc_star Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Schmeichel - Performed exactly as I thought, not good enough... been found out, leaving the defence floundering from crosses and set-pieces Hamer - Had no expectation, been pleasantly surprised and think he's conducted himself very well, barring that Spurs near post free kick RDL - Thought he'd do well. Struggled at times, but has been horribly exposed by either Knockaert or Mahrez at times Simpson - Had no expectation, think he's performed ok, nothing groundbreaking Big Wes - Couple of bad games, but on the whole I think he's done well, hate to have seen some of scorelines were it not for his blocks Upson - Expected a lot, experienced CB we needed, performed well for Brighton who were an excellent defensive side - His long term injury is one of the reason we've unravelled IMO Moore - Expected him to progress, but he makes a mistake or so every game which leads to a goal, very difficult for him to kick-on now Waz - Thought he'd be a liability but he's done well for me A lot of fingers point at the CBs for individual errors, but without a dedicated CDMs or a coupole of class box-to-box players in the middle they're horribly exposed at times, this goes double when we've played a large part of the season with a keeper who's allergic to come off his line and claim crosses & setpieces Konchesky - He's actually done better than I expected, thought he'd be skinned alive every week, but he's generally been steady eddie at the back (apart from WHU) Mahrez - Exceptional attacking talent, but wish he'd cross to players in better positions more instead of going for glory & being crowded out himself Drinkwater - For me he was Championship player of the season so I expected him to be stepping up and maybe even knocking on England's door, he's occasionally been very good but often overran (often that's down to 2 Vs 3 though) James - Thought he'd do well but he's been disappointing to say the least, given some very costly freekicks away too, notably Burnley at home which arguably started our atrocious run off and will be a very costly 2pts in a 6 pointer come May Hammond - Thought he'd be very limited, but so far he's been our best CM by miles King - Thought he'd do okay in the Prem where reading the game & a bit of tactical nous goes a long way, but he's been inconsistent Cambiasso - Very disappointed, formally as one of the world's best CDMs I expected him to break up play and start our attacks off, see nothing spectacular defensively and apart from a few touches nothing to suggest he was a great going forward Albrighton - Expected a lot off this lad, but he's not a run in the side afforded to others Knockaert - Thought his lack of pace would see him struggle, and boy did he. Injury hindered after that though Schlupp - As inconsistent as I expected him to be - Woeful 1st half a campaign, but a revelation recently. Vardy - Very disappointing, turned up to one game in the whole season and benefitted from a once in a lifetime collapse Nugent - Pretty good in a season disrupted by injury, the team plays better & with more zip when he plays Ulloa - I thought he'd be a bit of a carthorse, but on the whole I think he's done well it's what's very difficult with limited service, takes practically every chance he's given and you can't ask for more than that
Fox92 Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Generally been impressed with how Ulloa has stepped up, especially considering some people were doubting him and to have scored 8/9 goals (dunno how many it is) in a side like our's is really good. Schlupp hasn't been a revelation either. He's played really well lately but that doesn't cover up his first half of the season.
Guest Col city fan Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Worse than expected: Kasper Morgan Delaet Konchesky Cambiasso Drinkwater Vardy Moore Better than expected: Hamer James Hammond Was Simmo Schlupp Mahrez Albrighton As expected: King Ulloa Nugent
BigMicky Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Worse than expected: Kasper Morgan Delaet Konchesky Cambiasso Drinkwater Vardy Moore Better than expected: Hamer James Hammond Was Simmo Schlupp Mahrez Albrighton As expected: King Ulloa Nugent Are you sure? Ulloa???
Guest Col city fan Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Are you sure? Ulloa??? Yes mate. I think he's been ok, without being sensational. About what I expected really. Do you think he's performed above expectation then? This is a performance v expectation thread. I reckon Ulloa has performed about how I thought he would.
Fox92 Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Yes mate. I think he's been ok, without being sensational. About what I expected really. Do you think he's performed above expectation then? This is a performance v expectation thread. I reckon Ulloa has performed about how I thought he would. I do, yeah. We're talking about a player that has never played at this level before and certain (enhance the word certain) people were criticising us for signing a player without "Premier League experience". As I said above, 8/9 goals in this team is a good return. I said prior to the season if he hit 10 it would be good, and he looks on the way to beat that. I really like Ulloa. I think his link up play and ability to hold the ball is excellent, as well as his finishing obviously. He was the one player that really impressed me last season when Brighton beat us at the KP.
Claridge Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Yes mate. I think he's been ok, without being sensational. About what I expected really. Do you think he's performed above expectation then? This is a performance v expectation thread. I reckon Ulloa has performed about how I thought he would. Scored 1 less than rooney, 2 less than Van Persie and 3 less than Harry Kane and that's what you expected from a 8 million championship player? How many do you think the others would score for Leicester ?
Guest Col city fan Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Scored 1 less than rooney, 2 less than Van Persie and 3 less than Harry Kane and that's what you expected from a 8 million championship player? How many do you think the others would score for Leicester ? Fair enough, it's all opinions. For the price tag, Ulloa has performed about as I expected. I do think he's been starved of good supply though personally.
BigMicky Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Yes mate. I think he's been ok, without being sensational. About what I expected really. Do you think he's performed above expectation then? This is a performance v expectation thread. I reckon Ulloa has performed about how I thought he would. Ulloa has far exceeded expectation.
Arriba Los Zorros Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 I do, yeah. We're talking about a player that has never played at this level before and certain (enhance the word certain) people were criticising us for signing a player without "Premier League experience". As I said above, 8/9 goals in this team is a good return. I said prior to the season if he hit 10 it would be good, and he looks on the way to beat that. I really like Ulloa. I think his link up play and ability to hold the ball is excellent, as well as his finishing obviously. He was the one player that really impressed me last season when Brighton beat us at the KP. Hahahahaha!
Guest MattP Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Fair enough, it's all opinions. For the price tag, Ulloa has performed about as I expected. I do think he's been starved of good supply though personally. Bit harsh this Col! He's got eight goals despite being starved of service? That surely means he's punching well above his weight for what we paid for him.
Guest Col city fan Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Bit harsh this Col! He's got eight goals despite being starved of service? That surely means he's punching well above his weight for what we paid for him. I'm not knocking him Matt. Christ, without his goals, we'd be in a right old mess.There have also been games where he's looked slow and well off the pace. As has been highlighted on here, at times. So yes, for the money we paid for Ulloa, he's been around what I expected. Good, but not sensational. Other players, as listed, have been far better than I expected. Not that they've been better than Ulloa, but better than I expected. Eg. Hammond.
Fox92 Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Hahahahaha! It is. Did you not see his build up play prior to his goal away at Stoke earlier in the season? Sadly we've played differently since then and he is either up top alone or has players nowhere near him.
ktfox59 Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 Worse than expected: Kasper Morgan Delaet Konchesky Cambiasso Drinkwater Vardy Moore Better than expected: Hamer James Hammond Was Simmo Schlupp Mahrez Albrighton As expected: King Ulloa Nugent cant fault
ktfox59 Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 My real underachievers so far Kasper Wes Moore Koncheski Delaet Cambiasso drinkwater king. Vards Done ok. Nuge. James Albrighton. Simpson. Kramavic. Knockheart. Done well. Hamer. Was ( without him. A lot worse off.) Hammond.(most surprised about. ( Doesnt get enough credit imo ) Ulloa.( really does work hard and scores too. Undervalued. Shlupp. (Most improved) Mahrez. A big miss last few games.
Fez of Mahrez Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 With Ulloa it depends what your view was when we signed him. I remember I was firmly in the minority in being keen on the move all along, and as such he's matched expectations for me. Maybe even failed to reach them for long periods. Like almost everybody though, he's had huge ups and very low downs which makes him hard to rate overall. He scored two goals against Manchester United, then was largely useless for weeks on end and still somehow can't fit into our best side in my opinion.
ktfox59 Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 It would be easier to separate into who has surprised me (in a good way) and who has disappointed me Better than expected: Wasilewski Morgan Ulloa James Hammond Simpson Hamer Schlupp Mahrez Koncheskey As expected: Knockeart Albrighton Cambiasso King Lawrence Nugent Moore Schwarzer Kramaric Wood Worse than expected: Schmeichel De Laet Drinkwater Vardy Pearson just a couple of little giggles there mate. morgan and konch in top section? But views are subjective, so ok with me. Rest is spot on.
Guest Col city fan Posted 3 February 2015 Posted 3 February 2015 just a couple of little giggles there mate. morgan and konch in top section? But views are subjective, so ok with me. Rest is spot on. Same here. Morgan and Konchesky BETTER than expected? Blimey....
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.