Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mad Dog

Is Nigel Pearson the new Jose Mourinho?

I've been watching Pearson's interviews, of late, and cringing. I've watched him with his apparent word-finding difficulties, almost expecting him to come out with a pearler of some description. Saturday didn't disappoint.

I don't know if it's nerves? pressure? or some innate stubbornness... But compare how Nigel Pearson sounds after a game, compared to say how Eddie Howe sounds or Warburton at Brentford. Two managers I'd have no qualms with coming to City. They both sound so much more fluent, clear, concise. I listen to them and find myself nodding.

Pearson has never really had much media presence but this season it's taken a plummet IMO. His fans will probably argue with this but I know what I'm hearing.

Why don't we compare Pearson to say someone like Pulis or Pardew because I think most managers try to deflect flak away from there players. Why use Mourinho or Venger as examples.

Can't compare Pearson with Pulis or Pardew.. As they are both KEEPING their respective teams in the premier league!

So let me get this right - at least one person thinks that Pearson is the new Mourinho and there are others who think that a comparison between Wenger and Pearson is a fair one.

WTF are you people smoking?  I'm sorry, I genuinely like to be respectful but sometimes someone says something so stupid that respect goes out of the window.  If Pearson is even to be mentioned in the same breath as Mourinho or Wenger then we may as well go the whole hog and say that Kramaric is the new Hazard, Ulloa is comparable to Diego Costa, and Matty James is the English Fabregas.

No you aren't right.

Did you ACTUALLY read the original article and the following posts. It was a comparison about one item of their management (which I disagree with anyway). Nobody is in any way shape or form comparing Pearson's whole management package to Jose.

But compare how Nigel Pearson sounds after a game, compared to say how Eddie Howe sounds or Warburton at Brentford.

Compare any manager losing games to one winning games and you'll see a difference in how they conduct themselves.

No you aren't right.

Did you ACTUALLY read the original article and the following posts. It was a comparison about one item of their management (which I disagree with anyway). Nobody is in any way shape or form comparing Pearson's whole management package to Jose.

Compare any manager losing games to one winning games and you'll see a difference in how they conduct themselves.

Not really.

I've seen many managers come out with decent interviews following wins or losses.

I guess we've just not seen Pearson talking much after wins this season....We've hardly had any.

But generally I think his media skills are quite poor. Always have done.

Not really.

I've seen many managers come out with decent interviews following wins or losses.

I guess we've just not seen Pearson talking much after wins this season....We've hardly had any.

I'm talking about sustained periods of one or the others. Remember last year and at the start of this season how much people talked about him changing the way he deals with the press and being much better etc. It's easy to be chirpy, happy, relaxed and open when winning.

I'm talking about sustained periods of one or the others. Remember last year and at the start of this season how much people talked about him changing the way he deals with the press and being much better etc. It's easy to be chirpy, happy, relaxed and open when winning.

Yes good point Babs.

And you're right.

Not really.

I couldn't give a toss what his media persona is like as long as he's doing his job well - there's far too much importance placed on this in modern football, and it's all a load of absolute guff - you take the plaudits when you win, you take the flak when you lose, simple as. Seems these days that fans will forgive you a lot if you've got a happy-go-lucky personality, or you're a bit of a character - that's why managers like Harry Redknapp and Ian Holloway get such an easy ride from the press.

Regardless of who manages us next season - and I personally think a fresh start is needed - I don't care one bit about what they're like in front of a Sky Sports camera, I only care about what happens on the pitch.

I couldn't give a toss what his media persona is like as long as he's doing his job well - there's far too much importance placed on this in modern football, and it's all a load of absolute guff - you take the plaudits when you win, you take the flak when you lose, simple as. Seems these days that fans will forgive you a lot if you've got a happy-go-lucky personality, or you're a bit of a character - that's why managers like Harry Redknapp and Ian Holloway get such an easy ride from the press.

Regardless of who manages us next season - and I personally think a fresh start is needed - I don't care one bit about what they're like in front of a Sky Sports camera, I only care about what happens on the pitch.

I see where you're coming from Rich.

Personally I think someone's 'public persona' matters quite a bit.

If it's clear that a public persona of any profession is coming across as stressed, angry or 'clueless' when being put in the spotlight, people will look on and frown..metaphorically.

I know the best managers I've worked for are those that I know are under pressure, yet remain calm, composed and rational when talking in high pressure meetings for example. I look at them and think "they are a person I respect and can follow".

So for sure, off field stuff must be backed up by results. But off field stuff itself IS important, at least in my eyes.

If Pearson had retained his 'lighter side' this season, and not come over as all angry..I could have remained 'warmed' to the man. As it is, he switches me off now.

If Pearson had retained his 'lighter side' this season, and not come over as all angry..I could have remained 'warmed' to the man. As it is, he switches me off now.

If he had shown a lighter side and laughed and joked after some bad performances and results you would have accused him of not caring and only being here for the pay packet.

You can't have it both ways.

If he had shown a lighter side and laughed and joked after some bad performances and results you would have accused him of not caring and only being here for the pay packet.

You can't have it both ways.

No I genuinely wouldn't.

Having a lighter side is not about laff ing in the faces of the fans following a defeat. That would come over as taking the pee.

But Pearson has come across as dark this season. Angry, fighting the world. Wrestling with the opposition, falling out with Gary.

Psychologically I've switched off to the man. For me, that's important.

Archived