Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Match Ratings : Leicester 2-5 Arsenal - Results & Man of the Match

Harsh on Jeff that rating, he was horrendously exposed all game and going forward he had absolutely no options to play it to feet so had to just hit a channel and hope Vards could get on the end of it. Drinkwater surprisingly low as well, that was the best I've seen him play in a long time.

Schlupp will be this season's scapegoat imo.

You're correct. He gets hardly any support defensively is still learning the position and as we've seen, can be almost unplayable at times.

He does some daft things but generally makes up for them with the good things he does.

But some people are gunning for him I think. I hope he just bounces back straightaway.

You're correct. He gets hardly any support defensively is still learning the position and as we've seen, can be almost unplayable at times.

He does some daft things but generally makes up for them with the good things he does.

But some people are gunning for him I think. I hope he just bounces back straightaway.

Yeah, full backs are just easy targets at the end of the day, when they're doing well 90% of people don't appreciate what they do for the team but when they're struggling they get mugged off by the opposition and slated by our fans.

The number of times on Saturday we play the ball across the back four along to Jeff, he had fvck all options and is confronted by Sanchez, Ozil and whoever their right back is was tragic. He hasn't got a choice but to hit a long ball into a channel, play it back to Wes or go back to Kasper and yet he somehow ends up shouldering the blame. 

Harsh on Jeff that rating, he was horrendously exposed all game and going forward he had absolutely no options to play it to feet so had to just hit a channel and hope Vards could get on the end of it. Drinkwater surprisingly low as well, that was the best I've seen him play in a long time. 

I've not seen anyone criticise him for his wasting of the ball, it's his defending and more importantly positioning that is leading to disaster.

Sorry but this is bollocks, the fans have already voted him as a MOTM for a start in a few games.

Our full backs have been absolutely shocking defensively this season and the main reason only Sunderland have conceded more than us, it isn't scapegoating to point out that RDL and JS have looked woefully out out their depth at this level in these positions despite the offence they give.

Scouse fox is right, watching that third goal shows why he'll never make a full back, he just isn't learning, he's too stupid to do so, he needs to play in a position where it's based on instinct and he doesn't have to think about things.

I've not seen anyone criticise him for his wasting of the ball, it's his defending and more importantly positioning that is leading to disaster.

Sorry but this is bollocks, the fans have already voted him as a MOTM for a start in a few games.

Our full backs have been absolutely shocking defensively this season and the main reason only Sunderland have conceded more than us, it isn't scapegoating to point out that RDL and JS have looked woefully out out their depth at this level in these positions despite the offence they give.

Scouse fox is right, watching that third goal shows why he'll never make a full back, he just isn't learning, he's too stupid to do so, he needs to play in a position where it's based on instinct and he doesn't have to think about things.

So he's too stupid to play left back and will never make a left back, yet he's been voted MOTM by fans on more than one occasion? And was playing left-back.

Scouse has never rated Schlupp..and it's of no surprise it's highlighted by him when he makes an error.

(I say again...Amidst MANY defensive errors made against Arsenal by all our defenders).

Hence....scapegoating.

It will be fine when we are winning. It's when we are losing that it will happen. As it did this weekend.

So he's too stupid to play left back and will never make a left back, yet he's been voted MOTM by fans on more than one occasion? And was playing left-back.

Scouse has never rated Schlupp..and it's of no surprise it's highlighted by him when he makes an error.

(I say again...Amidst MANY defensive errors made against Arsenal by all our defenders).

Hence....scapegoating.

It will be fine when we are winning. It's when we are losing that it will happen. As it did this weekend.

You need to get a dictionary out.

RDL and Schulpp have been at fault for numerous goals this season already, they are the ones to blame often, pulling people up on the errors they actually make is not "scapegoating".

You need to get a dictionary out.

RDL and Schulpp have been at fault for numerous goals this season already, they are the ones to blame often, pulling people up on the errors they actually make is not "scapegoating".

And by ignoring or overlooking the errors made by other players, is.

For instance, who was marking Sanchez for the headed goal? One of the smallest players on the pitch. Where were the two towering centre backs?

I don't want to get into an argument with you mate. I just don't agree with you.

When errors for one or two players are highlighted, whilst errors from other players aren't, for me that's scapegoating. And the above poster is quite correct. Full backs are easily targeted for this.

I do agree over RDL. I said in the summer that I thought we needed a better RB and that to get one would be the icing on the transfer cake so to speak. And it's no surprise that oppositions seem to be targeting our right flank. Managers will be doing their homework and seeing where we are defensively weakest. I think it's at RB. That's not to say RDL is poor. He isn't. Simply that I believe he's our weakest defender.

It's all opinions.

Playing an offside line Schlupp wasn't?

Thus leaving the little player to get his head on the cross. Isn't Morgan meant to be marshalling the back line and getting them in line? We all think Jeff ain't the brightest. Who do you blame? Schlupp for not pushing up, or Morgan for not making sure he does? Has anyone mentioned Morgan's role in conceding such a soft goal? If not, it's scapegoating.

Hence....scapegoating.

I understand where you're coming from. A few posters have, for years, been dismissive of Schlupp. I can understand why - he's often played at left back and his greatest strength is in his attacking threat, not his defending - but he's still a young, improving footballer who has made huge progress.

I remember the days when we all clung on to Stef Oakes as the great hope for the future, in spite of the fact that he was 24 at the time and had only shown promise in a handful of games. I think we'd be right to give Schlupp, Moore, Dodoo etc. all the time they need to establish themselves, and be grateful for the fact that we have a clutch of players with genuine potential at our disposal.

That said, I think Schlupp's best position remains wing back. He's not a guy you want cutting in from the left wing and testing the keeper (that'd be Mahrez, Albrighton or Dyer), and he's not a guy you want to snuff out the best wingers in the PL (that'd be Fuchs). I also understand that, if your back four contains 2/3 players with questionable defensive qualities (De Laet, Schlupp, possibly even Morgan), then regardless of how attacking or defensive you set yourself up, you'll concede goals. If one of the wingers 'helping out' is Mahrez, then it'll be worse still. It may well tell us a lot about why Konchesky played so many games last year, and Mahrez was occasionally dropped.

Thus leaving the little player to get his head on the cross. Isn't Morgan meant to be marshalling the back line and getting them in line? We all think Jeff ain't the brightest. Who do you blame? Schlupp for not pushing up, or Morgan for not making sure he does? Has anyone mentioned Morgan's role in conceding such a soft goal? If not, it's scapegoating.

Morgan bollocked Schlupp numerous times during the game.

Only time I've seen him be vocal to be honest.

The two CBs look very stretched to me, as Moore and Morgan did at the start of last year. I watched one of the first games of last season with a guy who's involved at a high level of football and he said 'the two CBs - they're doing brilliantly, but it won't last because they're under too much pressure because of the full backs.' Last year they were stretched because of Konch's lack of quality, though at least he offered experience and organisational qualities, I suppose (he never actually seemed to play with the wise old head of a veteran, if I'm honest), and because of the same old De Laet / Mahrez marauding down the right problem.

This year it seems we have two marauding full backs, which means Morgan is scrambling to cover for Jeff. We seem to get away with that more when we play Kante, because he and Albrighton also drop back and do their shift. But it leaves Huth very isolated. On the one hand he's got to deal with Morgan out of position, and on the other with De Laet / Mahrez. When De Laet is back helping out, I see a lot of sides getting behind Schlupp, pulling Morgan out of position, drawing Huth further to the left, De Laet to the centre, then just switching play and walking into a giant empty space in our right back slot.

So I think it's hard for any two CBs to look up to much in that set up. And we'll have to fix it if we don't want to get destroyed by a lot of teams. A good start would be at least having the option of Fuchs on the bench, which might allow Morgan to focus on being a CB and Schlupp, or whoever else we play at LW, to focus on being an attacking threat.

Just watched this again and he did organise the line, it wasn't that Schulpp didn't push up, he was already in front of the line and for some reason was wandering back, a second before the ball is crossed Alexis is offside, just as they were about to cross the ball Schulpp decided to jump two yards behind everyone level with him despite being about ten yards away from Sanchez, what he was thinking I have absolutely no idea.

Might be an idea for CR to tell Schulpp to keep himself in front of the centre backs at all times, he gets caught out playing people onside far too often, suppose the problem with that is though we'll end up conceding more goals like Spurs where is nowhere near his man.

Tough decision whatever.

I'd probably just bring the left back off the bench we have who has 69 International caps.

Just watched this again and he did organise the line, it wasn't that Schulpp didn't push up, he was already in front of the line and for some reason was wandering back, a second before the ball is crossed Alexis is offside, just as they were about to cross the ball Schulpp decided to jump two yards behind everyone level with him despite being about ten yards away from Sanchez, what he was thinking I have absolutely no idea.

Might be an idea for CR to tell Schulpp to keep himself in front of the centre backs at all times, he gets caught out playing people onside far too often, suppose the problem with that is though we'll end up conceding more goals like Spurs where is nowhere near his man.

Tough decision whatever.

I'd probably just bring the left back off the bench we have who has 69 International caps.

He's got to be on the bench first!

Tough decision whatever.

I have a feeling you will get your wish Matt and that Schlupp will finally be dropped. Let's hope Fuchs does a job. He could well do. He looks good stuff.

Shame we don't have a sub RB to bring in though eh?

i enjoyed schlupps stint as a wing back. he seemed to be doing quite well there. he could fu ck up defensively and we still might not concede and he could get forward more. everyone was happy. we'd genuinely be better not playing a left back than playing schlupp there. we'd not have conceded that third goal if we just played with ten men. 

I have a feeling you will get your wish Matt and that Schlupp will finally be dropped. Let's hope Fuchs does a job. He could well do. He looks good stuff.

Shame we don't have a sub RB to bring in though eh?

I wouldn't drop him Col if I had my way, thought he was doing fine last season at LWB in the 3-5-2 formation but if Claudio insists on a back four then yes it has to be Fuchs ahead of him.

Yeah not buying a right back in the summer was pretty barmy if the intention was to go with a back four.

I'd say bournemouth was worse than that tbh - we were as defensively shoddy as that vs Bournemouth, but Bournemouth had Callum Wilson and Arsenal have a 80+ cap Chilean international who got over 20 last season; and we were better offensively on saturday than at bournemouth.

Bournemouth's a good shout actually.

Still though like it or not defending is as important as attacking and our defending was frankly hopeless.

But we knew about the threat of Walcott and Sanchez and their ability to get behind/around people and didn't deal with it. Yes, we could have scored five and certainly should have scored three but we didn't and your wishful thinking conveniently ignores Arsenal's other chances.

I'm not saying there was nothing positive to take from our performance and, yes, we had chances to make the game extremely interesting but, bottom line, we didn't neutralise the ammunition of Arsenal and, as Dan says, you can't concede five goals and expect to win.

Truth is Arsenal exposed our well documented weaknesses like no other so far this season and we didn't help ourselves by emphasising those weaknesses in the way we approached the game.

It was bad enough having two slow-turning centre-backs trying to deal with two outstanding will-o-the-wisp attackers on their own, but leaving DeLaet exposed and having Mahrez making the situation worse by continually losing the ball was just asking for trouble.

It's not just quick counter-attacking that will establish our Premiership credentials, but being able to pass and keep the ball and being able to contain the strengths of our opponents.

We got one out of three. .

For clarity, you're advocating a defensive approach against any dangerous opponent at home? Isn't this directly at odds with previous posts you've made lamenting our apparent lack of attacking desire? You can't have both, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't drop him Col if I had my way, thought he was doing fine last season at LWB in the 3-5-2 formation but if Claudio insists on a back four then yes it has to be Fuchs ahead of him.

Yeah not buying a right back in the summer was pretty barmy if the intention was to go with a back four.

Fair play mate.

You remain one of my fave posters.

:thumbup:

I think Fuchs has looked like a real carthorse every time I've seen him. Albeit in small doses. Not sure he's the world beating full back everyone thinks he is.

Schlupp lacks the concentration to be a full back, but surely Claudio is better off pushing him further up the pitch. He's so powerful and quick - too good not to be in our team.

I think Fuchs has looked like a real carthorse every time I've seen him. Albeit in small doses. Not sure he's the world beating full back everyone thinks he is.

Schlupp lacks the concentration to be a full back, but surely Claudio is better off pushing him further up the pitch. He's so powerful and quick - too good not to be in our team.

fuchs looked average to me in his few ten minute spells, looked like he could barely run. but in his two full apps he's been good. he was solid enough vs bury and then clear motm vs west ham. 

i think it's also the fact that more and more people are getting frustrated with schlupp at left back and are willing to try any alternative because let's face it an actual carthorse couldn't be any worse 

Archived