Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Match Ratings : Leicester 2-5 Arsenal - Results & Man of the Match

For clarity, you're advocating a defensive approach against any dangerous opponent at home? Isn't this directly at odds with previous posts you've made lamenting our apparent lack of attacking desire? You can't have both, I'm afraid.

Yes you can. I had an under 18 team once which won 69 games out of 70 and drew the other, set new scoring records both seasons while being well pissed off if they conceded at all. 

They attacked as a team and defended as a team. We don't do that very often.

Our team is almost always unbalanced, you've just got to read the Foxestalk threads to see the countless ways people recognise and seek to address that balance, yet lots of top teams over the years have found an effective blend.

We've even done it ourselves on occasions, particularly when playing three at the back but I don't doubt there are other ways we could work.

For me there are around four or five important issues that need fixing in our team. Even the clamour for Drinkwater - whose generally playing well - ignores what he doesn't give us and what we lose in playing him. But no, this is not an attack on Drinkwater because we gain and lose things with other decent players as well and, as I said, the key is finding the best balance and improving players so they don't have so many weaknesses.

I am a committed attacker but believes in an essentially quick team which understands, to a man, what they are supposed to be doing. And the first requirement is to attack and defend as a unit.           

For all that I believe Schlupp's most natural and effective position is in attacking central midfield, I've been disappointed with his progress this season and can only imagine he's confused to the point of being overwhelmed. For me he's neither a natural full-back nor a natural winger and my disappointment is in his failure to learn those jobs more thoroughly.

But there has to be a reason why both he and DeLaet seem less comfortable this season and the only reason I can see is that a system that worked - with three centre-backs - and in which both played quite effectively, has been changed with the result that both wing-backs have struggled.

The centre-backs have suffered too and there is imbalance in other quarters as well meaning that our potentially excellent side is still not firing on all its cylinders at once.  People talk blandly about possible solutions and they may be right. But to date, people like Fuchs, Benny and Inler, haven't delivered more than just a hint of their ability.  

Yeah, full backs are just easy targets at the end of the day, when they're doing well 90% of people don't appreciate what they do for the team but when they're struggling they get mugged off by the opposition and slated by our fans.

The number of times on Saturday we play the ball across the back four along to Jeff, he had fvck all options and is confronted by Sanchez, Ozil and whoever their right back is was tragic. He hasn't got a choice but to hit a long ball into a channel, play it back to Wes or go back to Kasper and yet he somehow ends up shouldering the blame.

What about the 2 occasions he failed to see the ball out of play leading to two chances for Arsenal? The fact he was trying to close down the opposition full back in the dying stages rather than get back and defend leaving us massively open for a counter attack.

I'm a big fan of Jeff and he has a lot of qualities but he made a lot of very basic mistakes against Arsenal.

i think his rating has been generous all season. Most certainly been our 2nd best centre back in pretty much every game this season.

Think Huth was better than Morgan at W Ham and Stoke.

Archived