Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cov Wolf

Was it worth it

Has a life long Wolves fan, I apologise for posting on your forum, but having travelled to the game on Saturday I expected to watch a game of football, Instead I watched your coach driver park the team bus in front of goal, In 90 minutes you had one shot on target and missed a good chance early on apart from that, you committed 31 fouls that the ref bother to give, I know that an away point is better then losing, but not to contest the game, to play for a draw, no wonder attendances are falling, Hoddle plays 4-3-3 with yes 3 strikers, but such was your defending by fair means or foul (31) we were unable to score, now that worries me, but at least we tried.

Last season we drew both our games with you and I was at both games (handy being exiled in Cov) and I can remember both teams in both games trying to win.

To me Leicester like Wolves are in the wrong division, but on Saturday you played like a team more afraid of relegation, maybe I am being unfair, with so many teams playing 4-5-1, to pick on you, but its killing the entertainment side of the game.

Wolves fans expect to be promoted every season, we demand good attacking football from our managers and players, are we wrong, should not all fans of all clubs be the same.

The danger is in a tight league every team adopts a negative formation and the fans will leave in droves, I for one wish I had not gone.

How can we bait each other on the terraces if all we are served up is dross, despite a good turn out from yourselves you were very quiet, but then we only got going a bit to have a go at the ref.

Has a life long Wolves fan, I apologise for posting on your forum, but having travelled to the game on Saturday I expected to watch a game of football, Instead I watched your coach driver park the team bus in front of goal, In 90 minutes you had one shot on target and missed a good chance early on apart from that, you committed 31 fouls that the ref bother to give, I know that an away point is better then losing, but not to contest the game, to play for a draw, no wonder attendances are falling, Hoddle plays 4-3-3 with yes 3 strikers, but such was your defending by fair means or foul (31) we were unable to score, now that worries me, but at least we tried.

Last season we drew both our games with you and I was at both games (handy being exiled in Cov) and I can remember both teams in both games trying to win.

To me Leicester like Wolves are in the wrong division, but on Saturday you played like a team more afraid of relegation, maybe I am being unfair, with so many teams playing 4-5-1, to pick on you, but its killing the entertainment side of the game.

Wolves fans expect to be promoted every season, we demand good attacking football from our managers and players, are we wrong, should not all fans of all clubs be the same.

The danger is in a tight league every team adopts a negative formation and the fans will leave in droves, I for one wish I had not gone.

How can we bait each other on the terraces if all we are served up is dross, despite a good turn out from yourselves you were very quiet, but then we only got going a bit to have a go at the ref.

Look through the threads - and you will see how f.....g ashamed I was - and I didn't go.

If I had gone I would have been into the offices for my money back and I wouldn't have been anywhere near as kind to Levein as I have been.

You've got a decent side this season - and the manager I wanted for England - but you were like weak tea with all the absentees and we should have set out to take you to the cleaners.

A good many of the fans on this forum were as bad as Levein proclaiming that we'd get hammered by Wolves and a draw was the best we could hope for.

Can you imagine having a team full of footballers with attitudes like that. Well, Levein surrendered, yes surrendered two points from the start and in winning his precious point he wrote off the few hundred pounds I would have spent at the club this season.

Not that it'll matter to him. Results are more important than entertaining the fans in his mind.

All I can do is apologise.

We only had 12 shots of which 7 were on target, poor for us and you are right we were poor, playing 3 strikers who then were forced to play as wingers/midfield to counter your 5, left Cort on his own, we did not have the creative spark needed.

The point was, I watched Liverpool and Man U on Sunday expecting a good high scoring attacting game, Liverpool and United played 4-5-1, score 0 v 0 and boring as hell, maybe its time the FA give games that finish 0 v 0,

0 points, i know we did not deserve a point

We only had 12 shots of which 7 were on target, poor for us and you are right we were poor, playing 3 strikers who then were forced to play as wingers/midfield to counter your 5, left Cort on his own, we did not have the creative spark needed.

The point was, I watched Liverpool and Man U on Sunday expecting a good high scoring attacting game, Liverpool and United played 4-5-1, score 0 v 0 and boring as hell, maybe its time the FA give games that finish 0 v 0,

0 points, i know we did not deserve a point

Don't say that sort of thing on here about changing the points system for a draw. They'll come back and say you're off your rocker. You know - a point's better than nothing however you get it. :sleeping: With this attitude the sooner we drop out of the Football League so someone else can have a go at playing properly the better.

To me Leicester like Wolves are in the wrong division, but on Saturday you played like a team more afraid of relegation, Wolves fans expect to be promoted every season, we demand good attacking football from our managers and players, are we wrong, should not all fans of all clubs be the same.

True - we should not be playing that tactic against any side in the league, we are very capable of playing good attacking football, and could/should be title contenders if the players/management put there mind to it.

To me Leicester like Wolves are in the wrong division, but on Saturday you played like a team more afraid of relegation, Wolves fans expect to be promoted every season, we demand good attacking football from our managers and players, are we wrong, should not all fans of all clubs be the same.

True

It's a pity our fans aren't so demanding.

Like it or not, the league table shows we have damn good reason to be afraid of relegation.

We shouldn't think it couldn't happen to us - the examples of Man City and our neighbours from up the A46 in recent years show it can happen to anybody.

Confidence is low at the moment - especially after a run of 16 (now 17) games without a win.

I don't necessarily approve of CL's tactics but it achieved more at Molineux than the 4-1 and 4-3 games there in recent years. How we could have done with some defensive discipline on those days!

And by the way, our wolf friend has a very short memory. I remember during the relegation season Wolves were by far the most defensive side to visit us - even at a time when they desperately needed a win. No pretence then of "good attacking football" - even though they'd put nine past us in the previous three games!

Like it or not, the league table shows we have damn good reason to be afraid of relegation.

We shouldn't think it couldn't happen to us - the examples of Man City and our neighbours from up the A46 in recent years show it can happen to anybody.

Confidence is low at the moment - especially after a run of 16 (now 17) games without a win.

I don't necessarily approve of CL's tactics but it achieved more at Molineux than the 4-1 and 4-3 games there in recent years. How we could have done with some defensive discipline on those days!

And by the way, our wolf friend has a very short memory. I remember during the relegation season Wolves were by far the most defensive side to visit us - even at a time when they desperately needed a win. No pretence then of "good attacking football" - even though they'd put nine past us in the previous three games!

Where does the confidence come from this lot?

We didn't score, we collected one point out of a possible three and we still didn't break our diabolical run of 17 games without an away win in the Championship. Are you and Levein saying that if we'd attacked in all of those games we wouldn't have done better overall?

How the hell could we have done worse? IN THREE POINTS FOR A WIN FOOTBALL, DRAWS ARE NEXT TO USELESS and if you keep getting em you'll probably get relegated.

If I was a Wolves fan, I'd feel exactly the same. We were negative beyond belief, lining up with a 4-5-1 comprising of 2 defensive midfielders. There was no need to employ the change in formation as Wolves were there for the taking as I've said across a number of threads.

Levein wanted a point, he got it. However, playing for draws is a very risky business. What happens if you conceed a goal via a set piece, penalty or a lucky break for the opposition? You then have to abandon a game plan, which has perhaps been worked upon all week. I have no problems in keeping things tight for an initial period, but doing it the whole game invites pressure on you, and more often that not, you'll crack.

And before anyone says we needed to tighten up, the only thing we needed to tighten up was our ability to defend set pieces - a 4-5-1 doesn't change that. :rolleyes:

4-5-1 is a disgusting formation, but I don't think Wolves can blame the way they played on Leicester playing 4-5-1. We've played it a few times before and other teams have scored past us with ease so although it's not nice to see, Wolves can't be blameless for the football served up on saturday.

I thought you were poor and was very angry we didn't push forward as you were there for the taking. Infact both games last season you were there for the taking and we sat back after taking the lead, I think the reason Levein went 4-5-1 this season was because we've played teams off the park this season in almost every game and lost alot of them. Hard to believe I know, but it's true. So Craig wanted to lay a platform that makes us hard to beat and then build up the confidence to take teams apart once we are a unit at the back. Sounds frustrating and it will be, but this league is full of horrible teams and quality often doesn't rise to the top. It's who fights and who wants it the most, absolutely horrible.

We were both shocking on saturday and if Wolves can't adapt to a team getting stuck in and battling like **** then your gonna be in this league just as long as us, if not longer (as we're probably going down!!! :D )

Good luck for the reast of the season.

Playing a tight defensive game against one of the tipped two or three teams to win the league away from home is absolutely ridiculous. If I were manager I would have played 1-2-7 and gone all out for the win. I wouldn't have bothered about the fact that in our first five matches we conceded an average of two goals a game.

I mean, I just can't fathom why Levein wanted to play for a point, especially because when we've played for the win in many of our games so far this season we've leaked goals and lost.

Edited for more sarcasm:

I think now is the time we all got on Levein's back for being tactically astute.

Here's me thinking that defence is just as important (if not more so) than attack as part of the game of football.

A good defensive performance can give just as much confidence to a team as a good attacking performance in different ways.

Do we ever hear teams that play against fluent attacking teams moan that they attack too much or with too much pace? That they should be made to take two touches instead of one touch passing because its too hard to defend against?

No! Of course not. This belief that defending well is a vile part of the game is an unbelievable argument in my eyes. For people to complain about a defensive tactic is just as absurd as people complaining that opposing teams attack too much.

Here's me thinking that defence is just as important (if not more so) than attack as part of the game of football.

A good defensive performance can give just as much confidence to a team as a good attacking performance in different ways.

Do we ever hear teams that play against fluent attacking teams moan that they attack too much or with too much pace? That they should be made to take two touches instead of one touch passing because its too hard to defend against?

No! Of course not. This belief that defending well is a vile part of the game is an unbelievable argument in my eyes. For people to complain about a defensive tactic is just as absurd as people complaining that opposing teams attack too much.

Spot on :thumbup:

Dunc, I take it you weren't at the game on Saturday.

You try paying £27 to watch a team with no ambition, with no apparent intention to win the game. You would then understand the frustration of the fans who made the trip to the lovely town of Wolverhampton on Saturday.

Why are people neglecting the fact that we've been conceding goals from set pieces and not open play? The last 8 games have saw 2 goals conceded from open play, with both of those goals being conceded in one game against Crewe early on, when we were all over the place.

So far, Wolves have no justification to be labelled a top 2/3 team. Look where they are in the table - it almost seems a continuation from last season where they're drawing too many games. They were missing a number of key players, and had just lost at home to Millwall, the bottom side in the league.

No one is suggesting an all out attack, but we needed to be positive against a weakened side low on confidence. Playing de Vries by himelf upfront, with no support around him did not allow us to retain possession in their defensive third, thus relieving pressure.

You try paying £27 to watch a team with no ambition, with no apparent intention to win the game. You would then understand the frustration of the fans who made the trip to the lovely town of Wolverhampton on Saturday.

Why are people neglecting the fact that we've been conceding goals from set pieces and not open play? The last 8 games have saw 2 goals conceded from open play, with both of those goals being conceded in one game against Crewe early on, when we were all over the place.

So far, Wolves have no justification to be labelled a top 2/3 team. Look where they are in the table - it almost seems a continuation from last season where they're drawing too many games. They were missing a number of key players, and had just lost at home to Millwall, the bottom side in the league.

No one is suggesting an all out attack, but we needed to be positive against a weakened side low on confidence. Playing de Vries by himelf upfront, with no support around him did not allow us to retain possession in their defensive third, thus relieving pressure.

It strikes me that all the people that are moaning are relating entertainment to cost, when its not the WWE we're watching, its professional football and ticket prices have no bearing on quality.

Price of the ticket has nothing to do with it; by that argument if the cost of the ticket is more than £25 then City should play 4-2-4 and play cavalier football, but if it was £5 then it would be ok to play 5-4-1 cause you've not spent as much, therefore the quality of entertainment is proportionate.

We played for a point and got one, which after the cardiff game most people would have been happy with. I don't support Leicester to be entertained, if I wanted that I'd go and support Arsenal or Spurs or Real Madrid who might win 3-2 but might lose 3-2 as well. I support Leicester cause they are MY team and I would rather they played effective winning football than entertaining losing football.

Defending well is just as much of an art as attacking well and if you don't appreciate a 0-0 draw away from home is a good result bearing in mind we've lost the majority of them over the past 12 months then you aren't as astute football-wise as I thought.

I wouldnt care if we drew every away game 0-0 playing boring defensive 5-4-1 and won 90% of our home games playing shite football, cause we'd get in the playoffs that way if not higher.

4-5-1 is the new fad. If you are want to be there or there abouts, you have to expect everyone to be coming to your place with a negative attitude, whether you like it or not. As much as I dislike it, surely it's down to your manager countering that tactic, and finding a way through rather than moaning about the opposition.

We've seen a number of teams do that to us, and yes we've commented on their negativity after the game in the pub, but most of the focus has been on why we haven't sussed out how to play it, not feel the need to go on that team's messageboard and moan about it.

Do you honestly think we enjoy forking out our hard-earned cash, and sacrificing a whole day to watch garbage like this? What do you expect to gain from whinging about it? Do you think we're lauding it or something?

No offence Cov Wolf, but I'm having a bad week.

You try paying £27 to watch a team with no ambition, with no apparent intention to win the game.

Simple answer is don't go.

Football is a lottery i've seen many shit games down the years, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

It strikes me that all the people that are moaning are relating entertainment to cost, when its not the WWE we're watching, its professional football and ticket prices have no bearing on quality.

Price of the ticket has nothing to do with it; by that argument if the cost of the ticket is more than £25 then City should play 4-2-4 and play cavalier football, but if it was £5 then it would be ok to play 5-4-1 cause you've not spent as much, therefore the quality of entertainment is proportionate.

I consider £27 to be expensive, you may not, but this isn't the argument here. What I am picking up upon is the fact we employed a 4-5-1 when we didn't need to. It was dire football from both sides, and you wonder why attendances are falling around the country. No one is denying results are the crucial factor, with performance being secondary. Unfortunately, as finance dictates almost everything now, football is going that way where negativity and caution is paramount.

We played for a point and got one, which after the cardiff game most people would have been happy with. I don't support Leicester to be entertained, if I wanted that I'd go and support Arsenal or Spurs or Real Madrid who might win 3-2 but might lose 3-2 as well. I support Leicester cause they are MY team and I would rather they played effective winning football than entertaining losing football.

I agree with that. Of course I want to see Leicester win, irrespective of how we play. However, we won't win any games by employing tatics like we did against Wolves. Despite football being a results business, it makes the experience even more enjoyable if the football is positive and entertaining. With this team, we seem to have players in the squad who can cause damage to the opposition. You have the creativity of Hughes and Williams, the unpredictability of Sylla, the liveliness of Hume, the pace of Hammond. And not forgetting Jase, who is fukking brilliant anyway. We need to be able to play to our strengths, and with the players we had at our disposal, we didn't do that.

We haven't won an away game since Decemeber 2004 - So it's not just the price of the ticket and formation which was frustrating, but the apparently lack of ambition to get three points away from home. It simply isn't good enough at present as we're displaying relegation form. 5 wins from the last 27 league games suggests that. I recognise Levein is attempting to build a team here, and I'm in favour of that, but with the players he's had available to him over those last 27 games, 5 wins isn't very good, is it?

Defending well is just as much of an art as attacking well and if you don't appreciate a 0-0 draw away from home is a good result bearing in mind we've lost the majority of them over the past 12 months then you aren't as astute football-wise as I thought.

I wouldnt care if we drew every away game 0-0 playing boring defensive 5-4-1 and won 90% of our home games playing shite football, cause we'd get in the playoffs that way if not higher.

5 defeats in 17 is hardly the majority, is it?

We donated three points unnecessarily against Cardiff and two points unnecessarily against Wolves because we never set out with conviction to win either game so I'm not in any way happy. If it were my club and we were charged £1 or a £1,000 for tickets I'd still say we should play to win games by scoring goals.

Your last paragraph will never happen - it's a theoretical myth. Have you not already witnessed enough odd goal defeats at the Walkers?

And who wants to be responsible for boring games anyway - away or at home. You should set your sights higher and demand more of people.

If anybody thinks going away for a bore draw is a good thing, answer this: supporters will realise that Leicester go away to play for a point, and after a while they will get so annoyed with it that they won't bother travel away to watch Leicester. Thus the team will have fewer supporters cheering them on and it will make it even harder to get a result away from home.

Once again, we did this on Saturday, we don't do it every away game. On occasions it will be better if we ensure we do not lose games. The team is VERY MUCH in it's early stages of forming and until the various members of the squad mold into a TEAM it will be better if we do not open ourselves up to potential dickings.

If you want to watch all out attacking football I'm afraid I'm struggling to recommend a team you can go and support because I don't know of one that always plays without concern for whether they concede goals or not.

This squad, the team, the managers and the club are in the embrionic stages of rebuilding and I can only see there being good things happening at this club (relative to our club budget) if we let the evolution continue.

IF you want to go back to years of the club being held to ransom by journeyman footballers demanding high wages with little or no plan for our future then continue to moan, boo or hound the management of LCFC who I firmly believe are taking this club in the right direction.

This is not going to be a season of glory but I'm sure that we will be developing and improving as a team, ready to push forward in the next couple of years.

Archived