Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lush

Whos better equiped to play our midfield holding role?

Holding role poll  

70 members have voted

1. 1. 2 choices

• Gudjohnson
    • Maybury

I was close to asking for my money back mate! The others didn't seem interested in wanting to play football, where as Joey shone out like a sore thumb. Perhaps when others try and play, Joey gets found out. Let's hope other teams aren't interested in playing football then :D

Yeah i always think of my sore thumb when i see joey on the ball ;)

If i dint know you somewhat, i`d assume you really meant that.

So joey had a good shot, which produced a fine save according to someone working for a horse racing paper.

You still havnt explained joey`s leadership qualities etc ahead of maybury to do the HR job.

Joey can beat Alan at Revenge of Shenobi on the Mega Drive. Nuff said.

So someone talks bollax because they dont take on board what other people say :rolleyes:lol sounds like bollax to me. ;)

Hes better qualified because he has better qualifications.

Correct the HR is about looking after the back 4, but if we wana be successfull, then we need that position player to get forward (never said bombing forward)

I was talking about goals but not penalties.

You dont know the factual difference between joey and maybury`s ability.

1) If you don't take in to account what other people are saying and insist you're right everytime, you live in your own little world.

2) He has better qualifications - what do you mean by that? It's not education, it's football. Maybe you would benefit in revisiting education. Joey has played for Real Betis, Villa and Wolves in midfield. Maybury played for Leeds and Hearts at full back. That doesn't give Maybury better 'qualifications' to play in that position.

3) You're suggesting that a holding midfielder needs to contribute in attack and score goals. There is a reason why the position is labelled 'holding'. Then again, the term 'holding' could mean anything to you. You thought Jason Wilcox was playing that role against Hull, when he was actually sticking to the left wing.

4) As I've said before (Listen this time, Lush) goals are not a prerequisite for either a full back or a holding role in midfield. How many goals do the likes of Makalele and Carrick get a season?

5) You have no facts to back up your argument. A deluded opinion, yes - Facts? No. I suggest you look up the meaning between the two terms again before having another bash at your keyboard.

i don't understand how this thread is about a HOLDING midfielder

yet the arguments against joey are for his telling passes/shooting/and bursts forwards

is a holding midfielder supposed to hold the ball?

when you have a holding midfielder, the telling passes/shooting should come from the player partnering him in the centre of the pitch

2) He has better qualifications - what do you mean by that? It's not education, it's football. Joey has played for Real Betis, Villa and Wolves in midfield. Maybury played for Leeds and Hearts at full back. That doesn't give Maybury better 'qualifications' to play in that position.

3) You're suggesting that a holding midfielder needs to contribute in attack and score goals.

You thought Jason Wilcox was playing that role against Hull, when he was actually sticking to the left wing.

Maybury is a better tackler, passer, vision, scores more open play goals (JUST), and has better leadership qualities. Just because maybury hasnt played there, doesnt mean he cant.

Bryan robson scored goals, so does keane etc etc, they were/is successful, thats what i want us to be, do you?

Your wrong, i said jason drifted into the position of HR in the first half. Looked to me like he couldnt handle being out wide, hence hamill replaced him.

i don't understand how this thread is about a HOLDING midfielder

yet the arguments against joey are for his telling passes/shooting/and bursts forwards

is a holding midfielder supposed to hold the ball?

when you have a holding midfielder, the telling passes/shooting should come from the player partnering him in the centre of the pitch

For joey, its not a question about his tackling ability, hes ok there, but maybury is better, and better all round than him. If we wana be successfull, we need better than what we have. We have a brilliant RB in stearman, i say we dont need joey at HR when we have maybury whos better.

I do agree joey is much improved from last season, but that dont make him good enough.

For joey, its not a question about his tackling ability, hes ok there, but maybury is better, and better all round than him. If we wana be successfull, we need better than what we have. We have a brilliant RB in stearman, i say we dont need joey at HR when we have maybury whos better.

I do agree joey is much improved from last season, but that dont make him good enough.

By this rate this argument will still be going on until christmas by which time Sir James Wesolowski will be back and he'll blow Gudjonsson, Maybury, Williams, Hughes and Kisnorbo out of the ****in pond.

By this rate this argument will still be going on until christmas by which time Sir James Wesolowski will be back and he'll blow Gudjonsson, Maybury, Williams, Hughes and Kisnorbo out of the ****in pond.

Oh i do hope so, but where will maybury play then lol

Maybury is a better tackler, passer, vision, scores more open play goals (JUST), and has better leadership qualities. Just because maybury hasnt played there, doesnt mean he cant.

Bryan robson scored goals, so does keane etc etc, they were/is successful, thats what i want us to be, do you?

Your wrong, i said jason drifted into the position of HR in the first half. Looked to me like he couldnt handle being out wide, hence hamill replaced him.

1) I would say Gudjonsson is better than Maybury in all those areas - particularly passing. Maybury's passing has been poor this season, usually playing balls up the line, which don't lead to much. Gudjonsson has displayed a range of passing this season, spraying the ball to the flanks and playing short, quick passes to keep things ticking along in midfield. If Levein had thought Maybury would act as a better holding midfielder, don't you think he would have tried him there by now, especially with the emergence of Stearman?

2) Bryan Robson was an exceptional all round player, as is Keane - Maybury is not a patch on either of them. What poor examples to use. Typical holding midfielders are Makalele and Carrick, who play that role in front of the back 4 so well in terms of breaking up attacks and distributing the ball well.

3) I'm not wrong - you said that Wilcox was found playing that holding midfield role against Hull, which is baffling given that Wilcox remained on the left flank. Cutting inside occasionally doesn't mean he suddenly turns in to a holding midfielder, who sits in front of the back 4 and breaks up attacks.

1) I would say Gudjonsson is better than Maybury in all those areas - particularly passing. Maybury's passing has been poor this season, usually playing balls up the line, which don't lead to much. Gudjonsson has displayed a range of passing this season, spraying the ball to the flanks and playing short, quick passes to keep things ticking along in midfield. If Levein had thought Maybury would act as a better holding midfielder, don't you think he would have tried him there by now, especially with the emergence of Stearman?

2) Bryan Robson was an exceptional all round player, as is Keane - Maybury is not a patch on either of them. What poor examples to use. Typical holding midfielders are Makalele and Carrick, who play that role in front of the back 4 so well in terms of breaking up attacks and distributing the ball well.

3) I'm not wrong - you said that Wilcox was found playing that holding midfield role against Hull, which is baffling given that Wilcox remained on the left flank. Cutting inside occasionally doesn't mean he suddenly turns in to a holding midfielder, who sits in front of the back 4 and breaks up attacks.

1, This is pure comedy now "better in all areas" lol how you explain their passing ability bassed on position just makes me lol even more. What do you think the passing capabilities would be like had joey played RB and maybury played the HR?

Yes fair point, CL possibly would play him there instead. Like i said yesterday, maybe he wil.

2, I wasnt comparing robo to maybury :rolleyes: you asked me about HR goals. You ask me rather patronisingly to listen to you, but you fail miserably to do what you preech.

3, :rolleyes: how can he be playing the holding role if the excellent joey is there :rolleyes:

wilcox drifted into the HR position unecesserrily.

1, This is pure comedy now "better in all areas" lol how you explain their passing ability bassed on position just makes me lol even more. What do you think the passing capabilities would be like had joey played RB and maybury played the HR?

Yes fair point, CL possibly would play him there instead. Like i said yesterday, maybe he wil.

2, I wasnt comparing robo to maybury :rolleyes: you asked me about HR goals. You ask me rather patronisingly to listen to you, but you fail miserably to do what you preech.

3, :rolleyes: how can he be playing the holding role if the excellent joey is there :rolleyes:

wilcox drifted into the HR position unecesserrily.

1) If Maybury was better in all areas, why isn't he playing in midfield then instead of Gudjonsson? 'Maybe he will' isn't a strong enough argument. When you play right back, using the ball is key to retaining posession and initiating attacks. Maybury has often ignored midfielders coming deep to collect the ball and instead has played some woefully weighted passes both up the line and centrally towards the strikers.

2) You said: Bryan robson scored goals, so does keane etc etc, they were/is successful, thats what i want us to be, do you?

You were comparing Maybury to those two by suggesting that he would have a similar effect for us - I somehow think not. Maybury is a decent full back, no more, no less.

3) Wilcox did not drift in to that position - No one else has mentioned this bizarre observation apart from you.

1) If Maybury was better in all areas, why isn't he playing in midfield then instead of Gudjonsson? 'Maybe he will' isn't a strong enough argument. When you play right back, using the ball is key to retaining posession and initiating attacks. Maybury has often ignored midfielders coming deep to collect the ball and instead has played some woefully weighted passes both up the line and centrally towards the strikers.

2) You said: Bryan robson scored goals, so does keane etc etc, they were/is successful, thats what i want us to be, do you?

You were comparing Maybury to those two by suggesting that he would have a similar effect for us - I somehow think not. Maybury is a decent full back, no more, no less.

3) Wilcox did not drift in to that position - No one else has mentioned this bizarre observation apart from you.

1, you need to ask, alright i`ll tell you, its because one man says he shouldnt. If (and it is only a if) another manager played him there instead of joey, do you think 90% would vote joey, not me.

joey has a better position to pass the ball, he can turn in any direction, maybury cant, its then obvious joey`s passing should look better, because he can get out of tighter positions with the ball.

Like i say, swap them around, and you`ll see joey struggling to pass the ball successfully, hell he struggles to pass the ball forward now.

2, No i didnt, why are you assuming the wrong thing. You queried my suggestion that a HR player needs to score, and i pointed out that successfull teams have those players in robo and keane. Stop trying to slither your way out of it, with wrong assumptions.

3 He did, i saw him, you must`ve been buying a pie at the time ;) it wasnt for long. I remember shouting something like "wilcox you idiot, get in your own position". Maybe no one thought it worth saying, end of.

Ok, hands are up ;)lol

lcfc-826, does that mean that 7 city fans dont know shit from shit?

Well as the alternative, by your standards of debate is to say that 49 city fans don't know shit from shit maybe lcfc-826 is right. ;)

Suggestion to all those 49 let's all agree that Lush is right and get on with our lives. :) Oh Happy Days

1, you need to ask, alright i`ll tell you, its because one man says he shouldnt. If (and it is only a if) another manager played him there instead of joey, do you think 90% would vote joey, not me.

joey has a better position to pass the ball, he can turn in any direction, maybury cant, its then obvious joey`s passing should look better, because he can get out of tighter positions with the ball.

Like i say, swap them around, and you`ll see joey struggling to pass the ball successfully, hell he struggles to pass the ball forward now.

2, No i didnt, why are you assuming the wrong thing. You queried my suggestion that a HR player needs to score, and i pointed out that successfull teams have those players in robo and keane. Stop trying to slither your way out of it, with wrong assumptions.

3 He did, i saw him, you must`ve been buying a pie at the time ;) it wasnt for long. I remember shouting something like "wilcox you idiot, get in your own position". Maybe no one thought it worth saying, end of.

1) Do you see Stearman struggling to distibute the ball the same way as Maybury? Stearman has looked to play passes in to the midfield and retain the ball. Maybury keeps aimlessly hoofing it up the line or to the opposition.

Being in the centre of midfield allows for a greater angle of passes, I've not denied that. Joey has shown that he's used the ball well this season, both retaining it and initiating attacks - you have no justification in claiming that Maybury can do as well without seeing him play there.

2) Chelsea are successful and play Makalele in that position and he's not in the mould of Robson. As for Keane, the older he's got, the more he's finds himself just sitting in front of the back 4 and allowing others to get forward and contribute.

3) Maybe it wasn't worth saying because it didn't actually happen...

For the record, I watched the game in full.

gudjonnson brings fight and spirit and always gets stuck in. hes also not bad football player when he gets it right :thumbup:

Glad your not my PR spokesman ;)

Well as the alternative, by your standards of debate is to say that 49 city fans don't know shit from shit maybe lcfc-826 is right. ;)

Suggestion to all those 49 let's all agree that Lush is right and get on with our lives. :) Oh Happy Days

I new you`d agree with me in the end, im like a certain brian clough.

1) Do you see Stearman struggling to distibute the ball the same way as Maybury? Stearman has looked to play passes in to the midfield and retain the ball. Maybury keeps aimlessly hoofing it up the line or to the opposition.

Being in the centre of midfield allows for a greater angle of passes, I've not denied that. Joey has shown that he's used the ball well this season, both retaining it and initiating attacks - you have no justification in claiming that Maybury can do as well without seeing him play there.

1, no hes better, but stearman is a better player anyway. maybury`s not on your xmas card list hey lol your critisising him just cos you dont like me?, be fair to him.

An accountant can become a bank manager based on similarities of the 2 jobs, just like being a RB and a HR player, theres not much difference, they both have defensive, passing etc reasons for their position.

1, no hes better, but stearman is a better player anyway. maybury`s not on your xmas card list hey lol your critisising him just cos you dont like me?, be fair to him.

An accountant can become a bank manager based on similarities of the 2 jobs, just like being a RB and a HR player, theres not much difference, they both have defensive, passing etc reasons for their position.

He's better than Stearman, but Stearman is a better player? :huh: If anything, Stearman would be better holding player than Maybury as he's naturally talented and has the attributes to play there - better than Joey? Possibly, but we don't know that until he's played there.

Banking and Football are two very different things and cannot be compared. :huh:

And I see you refuse to address my last two points - Losing the plot, Lush?

Archived