Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
spacemunky

RIP Leonard Cohen

'There Is A War', 'So Long', 'Last Year's Man', 'Sisters of Mercy' and 'A Bunch of Lonesome Heroes' are among my favourite ever songs. As a teenager I looked up to him, liked his dignity, the way he looked on love, relationships, the fact that he wrote lines like 'I used to think I was some kind of gypsy boy until I let you take me home'. I got very caught up in the romance of it all, at a time when I was just used to listening to 'Girls and Boys' by Blur.

There's footage, maybe on Youtube, of a live performance of 'The Partisan' which would cut me up if I saw it today. The new album, I thought, was one of his best (much like 'Blackstar' by Bowie). Don't put it off just because you don't want to buy music by people who have recently died. Whatever the excuse, it's worth it. He said recently that giving the nobel to Dylan was 'like pinning a medal on Everest', so by that measure I don't know what it would be to miss out on Leonard Cohen, just because he's dead. An English teacher friend of mine said - of him - that the snow can melt on Kilimanjaro, but it's still going to be there tomorrow. I liked that, even if it is a bit English teacher-y. I intend to use it in class and pass it off as my own.

Archived