Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Favourite Record Shop

On 02/09/2021 at 16:04, Wolfox said:

Steps Ahead in the silver arcade was ace…. Spent way too much money there

There was an interesting shop opposite the Grand Hotel too (can’t remember the name) but I brought a Betty Davis album and some Mojo Club compilation albums from there…

There was a good second hand shop on Clarendon Park Road…. Love De Luxe, Joy Division and Breeders all picked up for a song…

Spent way too much time at Honest John’s records in Portobello…. Another great shop in Camden and a load of interesting bootleg compilation vinyl on the market too

The oddest one was was (if I remember correctly?).  A shop that was mainly mail order near the train station…. Specialsed in the avante garde…. Run by two Polish twins…. Was quite amazing and would feature heavily on the freak zone I’m sure!  You could only get in by invite

Ultimate thule

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I remember a 2nd hand record shop called Boogaloo Records but I can't remember where it was in town, but I think you had to walk up a flight of stairs to get in. I used to go in there as a teenager in the 80s and I still recall the withering looks of contempt and disdain with which the proprietor, whom we obviously called ''Boogaloo Man'' used to greet us. That was probably because most of the time, having a temporary liquidity problem back then, we just ferreted around and then left without buying anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite being one of the largest record shops in Leicester, I see there has only been one mention for Ainleys, and for good reason.

Shite shop that treated customers that had a faulty record appallingly.

Remember a mates wife being made to listen to an album she returned because it 'jumped'. It played ok in the store and they refused to change it.

It still jumped on my mates record player and others we tried it on. They must have really weighted the pickup on the player they had in store.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Despite being one of the largest record shops in Leicester, I see there has only been one mention for Ainleys, and for good reason.

Shite shop that treated customers that had a faulty record appallingly.

Remember a mates wife being made to listen to an album she returned because it 'jumped'. It played ok in the store and they refused to change it.

It still jumped on my mates record player and others we tried it on. They must have really weighted the pickup on the player they had in store.

The manager looked like Richard Branson. 

On 28/10/2021 at 23:31, ceredigion said:

I remember a 2nd hand record shop called Boogaloo Records but I can't remember where it was in town, but I think you had to walk up a flight of stairs to get in. I used to go in there as a teenager in the 80s and I still recall the withering looks of contempt and disdain with which the proprietor, whom we obviously called ''Boogaloo Man'' used to greet us. That was probably because most of the time, having a temporary liquidity problem back then, we just ferreted around and then left without buying anything.

On Granby street.